Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Martial Arts in Seoul Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any wing chun or BJJ schools in Seoul?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some info for BJJ in Seoul. (This info. was emailed to me by the instructor.)

WEEKDAY CLASSES are 8pm-9:30pm on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. This is not a final schedule but may change according to members� needs. The gym is a large 40 pyung matted space. The address of the tae-kwon do gym is

KukDong Tae-kwon do Gym ("Guk-Dong Chae Yook Gwan")

133-102 Sungdong-gu, Oksu 2-dong 244-11

Parking is limited. The nearest subway/train station is Oksu (335 or K128) on the orange #3 & #1 line near the Han River. Oksu Station is a major rail transfer point and very close to Hannam & Dongho Bridge. Walk out of Exit 4 and walk past Hana Bank on your right and the Baskin Robbins on your left past Okjung Elementary School. As you go up a winding hill you should see a 7-11 on your right at the entrance for Samsung Apartments. Continue up the hill past Oksu Community Welfare Center (your left) towards Oksu Middle School. At the top of the hill is a T-intersection with a LG Gas on your left. Turn right and walk along the Grace Tower steel construction barricades on your right (across the street you will see a KIA & KOOKMIN BANK) & you will find the TKD gym on your right on the 3rd floor (first floor has a beauty shop with the colorful spinning cylinders). Should be a 10-minute walk at most.

If you do not want to walk up the hill take the #9 minibus for W350 up the hill to the top of the T-intersection. The #81 bus also passes by that area. The 154, 155 have nearby stops.

SATURDAY CLASSES are 10:30am-Noon on Saturdays only at Korea Judo near Apkujeong (336) Station on the orange #3 line. Walk straight out exit 5 near the Starbucks (opposite Hyundai Dept Store) past the gas station, GAONIX, and the Nike store (all on your left). Korea Judo is located on the left-hand side in the basement where the post office/Pho Bay is located. Parking is limited. The space is large & nice.

The monthly fee is W80,000, which covers tuition, rent, mat fees, utilities & dues. If you can only attend on weekdays, weekends or once a week let me know and I can adjust the tuition accordingly. Classes are taught in English & Korean. Private lessons are W40,000 for a half-hour- if you bring a partner I will only charge W20,000 each (very, very reasonable).

In regards to my background, I first studied BJJ under Carlson Gracie Jr. in Chicago in 1998. After 1 year I relocated to Tokyo and trained with Takamasa Watanabe of Axis Jiu-jitsu (Rickson Gracie) for 2 years. Currently I occasionally train with John Frankl (Boston Brazilian Jiu-jitsu) & have loose connections with SBG�s Matt Thorton & Rodney King (South Africa). I am the Korean heavyweight NHB KPW grand champion and fought in SpiritMC. My current record is 5-1 in MMA/vale tudo. http://www.fighting-sports.net/2003/topic/spmc03/henry.jpg

Please wear a judo or BJJ dobok/gi. You may purchase a cheap single-weave judo dobok at Dongdaemun Stadium. You can buy one at Moo Sool Sa (2237-9991~2) http://www.moosoolsa.com/ or INTERsports (2279-2608~9). If you have the choice, select the thin & snugger dobok. I prefer the white Elephant practice dobok offered at INTERsports. If you do not have a gi, then wear a long-sleeved shirt/sweatpants (both may get torn- I recommend long sleeves/pants to protect your skin- but if you want shorts are acceptable). You may also want to buy a single mouthguard & kneepads.

Later, you may want to buy a safety (foul) cup, ear guards & kneepads. I will discuss no-gi, MMA, vale-tudo training later.

YOU MUST TRIM YOUR FINGERNAILS/TOENAIL PRIOR TO CLASS. If your nails are too long you will not be allowed to spar for safety reasons.

There are cold showers available and you may want to purchase a bottle of water prior to training.

Regards,

The Hammer Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: