Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much money did you bring with you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is living off 500-1,000 the first month and a half in Korea still do-able?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teaster wrote:
Is living off 500-1,000 the first month and a half in Korea still do-able?

It is do-able but there isn't much spare room to get your apartment set up with the necessities (toilet paper, cleaning products, food, internet, phone, etc).

If you are at a hagwon you can probably get a small advance on your pay if you run short before payday. Your first pay is usually about 40 days after you start work at many hagwons.

If you are at a public school then you can also expect an extra 300k won as your settlement allowance.

sachamary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this line of thinking...

I have about $1500 (NZD) to bring with me and have worked out that this allows me about $250 per week for 6 weeks.

I am going to be in Jeolla-buk province - is this a reasonable amount to live on weekly until I get paid?

Thanks
paul1984

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: 2015 Reply with quote

Hi ya'll,

I am hoping by the time I get to Korea (by March 1st) I'll have at least $1000 (Canadian). If, for whatever reason I can't get $1000, then it will be at the lowest $500.

Whether a grand or a half, to give further substance about what I will do, here's how I plan to live: tell me if sounds implausible or doable.

Eat Ramen noodles for a month, and if I start to get sick of it, I'll hold my breath force it down. I know the human body can't take eating one thing over and over, so any other cheap food recommendations just in case?

Refrain from drinking (and I only drink socially anyways).

Am happy to sleep on a hard mattress with a simple bedsheet (or I'll just pack a bedsheet in my lugguge and use it, whether it fits the bed or is flimsy).

If apartment has stains or there is grime and dirt, will ignore it for a month until I get paid -- then I'll pay for cleaning supplies.

I shall forget about phone, internet (I'll visit an internet cafe for a hour and send an e-mail telling family I arrived safely), and I'll buy only one pot for cooking noodles -- like I said, I'll force myself to be happy with noodles for a month!

Every night, after working at my school, either walk around my neighbourhood to kill time, or stay inside my apartment and read and write. Both are cheap and both don't involve spending money.

I am assuming I can do this on $500. Or perhaps I am crazy?
jacskl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard about the arrival store? You can preorder essentials like cleaning products, kitchen stuff and bedding before you leave so that it's waiting for you when you arrive Smile
www.thearrivalstore.com

They also give you the option to pay 60 days after you arrive in Korea. I think lots of people are a bit strapped for cash before the first pay check (I know I will be) so this makes it a lot easier to settle in!

You could also have a look online and see if there are any weekend/night food markets around your neighbourhood? I think it's a lot cheaper to buy veggies, fish etc. from those guys than from chain supermarkets.

Good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: