Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public schools vs. hogwan vs. university
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lulu144

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally....as a person living in Gwangju and knowing what I know now.... choose seoul! Seoul is cool! and there is a huge part of me that wished I was there . FIrst thing to make sure you do... contact a teacher at the school you are planning on going to. This is something I didn't do and regret. Find out some first hand info about the school and you can ask some questions. I guess it's close to the water... maybe....
I'm in a public school.... and I get a wicked amount of vacation time... good money,.... and about 20-25 classes a week... if they aren't all cancelled... ( like today where I am sitting on my butt for 8 hours....)
The only advantage of a Hogwan in my opinion is working with other foreigners.... and that deosn't even always happen...
so my advice... talk to a foreigner at the school... or the person you're replacing and find out if it would be okay....
pm me if you want more details about gwangju
silver_butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read earlier on this topic working at a public school can mean you're the only foreigner.....I'm going for a job soon at one and I think that applies in my case....is that really so bad? I'm interviewing next week for my first public school job so fingers crossed Smile
Also I have to choose between elementary or middle (leaning towards middle). Is there any notable differences other than age?
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also I have to choose between elementary or middle (leaning towards middle). Is there any notable differences other than age?

Indeed there is!

Elementary school kids I found were easier to teach and to motivate.

They can of course be a handful in class!

Middle Schoolers tend to be less motivated about English and can give you a bit of grief.

They are however interesting to teach once you get them into the lesson material.
silver_butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Elementary school kids I found were easier to teach and to motivate.

They can of course be a handful in class!

Middle Schoolers tend to be less motivated about English and can give you a bit of grief.

They are however interesting to teach once you get them into the lesson material.
[/quote]

AHHHHH! Still really torn!!! :s Smile
driftingfocus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Jobs for Couples? Reply with quote

How difficult would it be to find two jobs in one school? My boyfriend and I are planning on going over together, and it would be much simpler, I would assume, if we both taught in the same school and thus were able to share an apartment.

How feasible is this, and what type of schools should I be focusing on?

Note: We're both TESOL certified (with experience).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
driftingfocus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulu144 wrote:
Personally....as a person living in Gwangju and knowing what I know now.... choose seoul! Seoul is cool! and there is a huge part of me that wished I was there . FIrst thing to make sure you do... contact a teacher at the school you are planning on going to. This is something I didn't do and regret. Find out some first hand info about the school and you can ask some questions. I guess it's close to the water... maybe....
I'm in a public school.... and I get a wicked amount of vacation time... good money,.... and about 20-25 classes a week... if they aren't all cancelled... ( like today where I am sitting on my butt for 8 hours....)
The only advantage of a Hogwan in my opinion is working with other foreigners.... and that deosn't even always happen...
so my advice... talk to a foreigner at the school... or the person you're replacing and find out if it would be okay....
pm me if you want more details about gwangju

How much vacation do you get?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dieselpain25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the schools in English Village?
lov2travel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: What experience did you need to get your UNI Job? Reply with quote

I'm currently working my first year at a Hagwon. So far it isn't too bad. Just a little hickup here or there but mostly it's all good.

However, I've been hearing a lot about UNI jobs. Great vacation time, good pay, not always too strenuous, etc.

What requirements are needed to get into one.

The two people I personally know teaching at them don't have advanced degrees, but do have several years experience teaching in Korea.

So I have my Bachelors from the USA and will have 1 year teaching at a hakwon.
If I look into getting a TESOL, CELTA, etc would it be feasible to get a UNI job in the next year or two?

I've heard age matters..in that case I'm 24 right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: