Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watch TV just like back home (or die trying)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I've used the uTorrent program (http://utorrent.com/) for over a year now and have had no problems downloading practically any torrent with it. It's a great out of the box program and easy to grasp for even the novice user.
chocolatechipcharlie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Utorrent, Peerguardian and UKNova Reply with quote

Bittorrent is great for television - fast, you can download whole series, no adverts, etc, etc. I use a laptop and got a cheap, external, portable USB case for a 160gb hard drive to store progs on. I use the utorrent client (it uses very low system resources,www.utorrent.com/), combined with PeerGuardian.

PeerGuardian has a list of bad IPs, of government/spyware/media/criminal organisations, which it blocks at an embedded level in your computer, and theoretically makes your own IP invisible to those that are blocked. It can be interesting to see who appears on the list. I tend to get a huge amount of Chinese government IPs logged here in the UK. See here for details....http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/. Anyway, I digress....

For UK television I use the wonderful www.UKNova.tv, but unfortunately it has a limit of 30,000 users (I think). You have to keep going back to check if a place is free on the network. If you do get on, however, it is very fast due to its upload/download ratio policy, and on many torrents will max out your available connection. And it has UK television, without ads, uploaded on the broadcast day regularly.

Other than that I use www.thepiratebay.com and www.mininova.org.
skindleshanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Hana TV Reply with quote

We just got Hana TV, which is basically a TV over the internet box. It's a box witha HD that's connected to your high-speed (hanaro, preferably) connection. There is a fairly large number of programs available, and you can choose one and watch it anytime you want. It takes about 30 seconds to buffer the streaming download before the program begins with no commercials. It costs between 7-12,000/month. There are a small number of new-release movies available for pay-on-demand. The selection rotates, although very slowly at the moment.

We were really excited about this and signed up in stead of cable, but several factor contributed to us signing up for cable as well, anyway.

The Pros:
-View on Demand!
-A fairly large selection of English movies, both Hollywood, Art, and Foreign, as well as an extensive selection of Korean movies.
-Pay-per-view is cheaper and more convenient than renting a DVD. (about 1800 won)
-Korean News broadcasts from SBS and YTN can be viewed as a whole, or one can choose only the new items they want to watch.
-A nice selection of Kids programming, including a decent number of English programs.
-previews
-adult programming is password restricted (you can set or change the password)

The cons:
-everything in the menus is in Korean, so you have to be fairly good at reading 한글 This could be considered a pro . . .
-outside of movies, English language programming is very limited, and sometimes hard to find because it may be hidden behind a Korean title.
-Many of the English documentaries are dubbed over in Korean.
-some of the programming is low quality tour videos and cheaply made documentaries
-Korean movies don't have subtitles, although there is a button on the control to toggle the subtitles, so it may be a feature addedin the future.

There is promise that this service will be expanded continuously, so it looks promising. For most foreigners, though, it might be good to wait a bit before signing up.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted this in the 'Lost' thread.

http://tvlinks.50webs.com

Streaming video of many popular shows (Lost, Weeds, Trailer Park Boys, Seinfeld, That 70's Show, etc). Reduce the size of the window for better quality. Some shows listed are missing episodes, but you can easily find the missing ones at http://www.youtube.com (check there for other TV shows that you like (add 'season' and/or 'episode' to the name of the show you are looking for).
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody having problem with sound on the tvu player? some of the channels have pic and no sound (espn in particular)
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tvlinks.50webs.com doesnt work anymore Sad anyone know of a similiar website? there's http://www.peekvid.com/, but they dont have "the office." boo.

*edit* oh i take it back, yes they DO have the office! yeah!

update: also watch the office at http://watchtheoffice.com/

Last edited by i_teach_esl on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
smogdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little late now, but for anyone looking to catch the playoffs, SOPCast is a great little tv for free on the internet player, because it offers a bunch a lot of uploaded streams.

In particular, there are usually at least 3 NFL games being broadcast on any given Monday early morning. It, combined with my buddy's Slingbox connection (he gave me the password because he only uses it during baseball season), and TVU player, have made my Monday's at work close to worthless.

TVU player has lost it's American ESPN, which is a shame, because that program had the best clarity, most of the time, of all 3. It's best for watching SF Bay Area football, if you give a rats about the Raiders or 49ers. It also lost it's ABC affiliate, so I don't know if I'll get lucky enough to clearly watch the Bowl games on Jan. 1, because the Slingbox has been down this week. Sometimes people momentarily upload streams, such as for the Ohio State Michigan game, so there's hope.
smogdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: All of the remaining NFL Playoff games will be viewable on TVUPlayer, because they're on Fox and CBS.

You just have to wake up early, or stay up late.

If you miss them, go to the site I mentioned in another post: www.tenyardtorrents.com and download a torrent of the game. They do a good job of not mentioning spoilers. You have to register and login to find the torrents.
offshorewife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would someone be willing to help me open ports for Utorrent? I've tried to figure it out but cannot at this point. I have a linksys router and operate windows xp. Please contact me via pm.
Thank you!
drkalbi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ovguide.com/
smogdonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch March Madness on demand by signing up here:

http://ncaasports.com/mmod

I used it last year, and the quality is similar to that of TVU player, and once you're in, you can choose from any of the games being played!

Free!
cbclark4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site appears to work I watched "24" using this site.

http://www.saurav.co.uk/

Does anybody know how I am supposed to start seeding in Azureus?

I get connection to tracker refused.. no credit .. start seeding

error message?

any help?

cbc
xenok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bit torrent setup at home goes something like this:

client: utorrent
bit torrent site: eztvefnet (US TV shows)
and somehow this hasn't been mentioned yet but you really should grab Peer Guardian 2 if you're running any P2P programs. it's like a P2P specific firewall.
happygirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenok wrote:
but you really should grab Peer Guardian 2 if you're running any P2P programs. it's like a P2P specific firewall.

I've read the FAQ for Peer Guardian. I'm still not sure I understand why I need this. There are some areas where I am simply uneducated. I do use limewire quite a bit. Is this something I need? Is anyone willing to explain? Thanks.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think peerguardian blocks your ip info from trackers and other users of p2p programs.

That way the RIAA or MPAA can't get your IP info and try to sue you.

Then again, you don't have to worry about that in Korea. I don't think the RIAA or MPAA is going to go after you for downloading from Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: