Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning the Korean Lanuage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theredfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Korean AND Chinese? Reply with quote

I have a question that sort of falls along the same lines as the original post, but I hope I don't change the subject too much on this thread...

I'm already plannning on taking Korean lessons when I arrive in September, but I wanted to know if any one of you guys has taken any Mandarin lessons while in Korea. I know Chinese isn't one of the easiest languages in the world, but I figure living in Asia for a year is the best opportunity I'll have to pick it up. If anyone knows of any Chinese language schools in the Seoul area, or has any experience learning it in Korea, I'd love to hear about it.
Trinny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer,

Yes. The sheer number of katakana and hirakana is a challenge, too. As I said, conversational & verbal Japanese is easy to pick up, but reading any meaningful Japanese sentences without looking up on the Hirakana/katakana charts or dictionary is a totally different story.

theredfrog,

Check out the language schools (hogwons) in downtown Jongno (sp?) area for Chinese classes. Most hogwons geared towards adult students offer Chinese language classes, as well. The lecture will be given in Korean, so you have to have some Korean to take Chinese classes.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinny wrote:
Zyzyfer,

Yes. The sheer number of katakana and hirakana is a challenge, too. As I said, conversational & verbal Japanese is easy to pick up, but reading any meaningful Japanese sentences without looking up on the Hirakana/katakana charts or dictionary is a totally different story.

*boosts cheating accusation against kimcheeking*
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really useful info but an interesting tidbit - did you guys know that the probably best school to learn Korean (and a selection of other languages)is the US military's Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA?

I have some old intel linguist friends (all 100% white boys, never stepped foot on Korean soil previously) that scored high on their language aptitude tests after enlisting or getting their officer comission, got sent to DLI for 2 years intense immersion, and came here able to speak fluent, near-native-accent Korean in various local dialects.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that from a couple of military friends that I used to have. Interesting fact one of the Korean teachers at my school used to teach Korean at Monterey.
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: endorse endorphinically Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
I want to give more support to the people who said learn to read hangeul and stay away from romanization.

furthermore, can I just point out to you right now, if an 'a' is by itself with out another vowel, it's the 'ah' sound as in father, every time. the biggest mistake i hear english speakers make is 'a' as in cat in all the Korean words they speak.

I'd like to point out that to most foreigners Korean originally is white noise, so no matter your expectations for learning the language, go easy on yourself for the first couple of months while you try to make it turn from white noise into words.

3 very good points. Korean was white noise to me for months. Boy did I feel dumb. Several people told me learning Hangeul could be done in an afternoon: as it's beautifully phonetic yes most of it can, but it takes a wee while longer for it to sink in and you need to practice a lot before your reading speed is the same as with the Roman alphabet (it's still not the same as far as I'm concerned).

Some sounds will take a while to get. I think I finally got 'uh' (the horizontal line) but still have trouble distinguishing 'u' and 'oh' (yes, Romanization sucks!!!!). Maybe that's just my own peculiar problem. Also distinguishing sang-jiut from jiut (sorry I can't seem to get Korean Global IME to work on my PC so can't type hangeul) is hard. As far as I can tell the former is the exact same sound said more forcefully, but I suppose one's ear eventually attunes to the subtleties.

Check out Sogang university's Virtual Korean online. It's the best I've seen. And it's full of grammar. You need it, just as much as Koreans really really really need English grammar drilled into them the good old fashioned way (rant mode is on) - at low levels.

Matt
Austin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Yes... Reply with quote

Romanization is a waste of time for everybody, so do not let your students do the same thing with their language when they are learning English.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reading is easy, what I find more troublesome is the patchim, where the written sounds change due to what letter comes after.

PS I like learning Koren but I'm going slow, I'd like to think that what I know is solid, but I really would like to speed it up. I guess I just lack the drive to sit with a book, pen, and paper for two hours a day. I learn by talking to people, watching tv, and yeah I do hit the book a bit, but not evey day. And everyday I tell myself I'm gonna change and get into a SERIOUS study habit. And it's not like I don't like it or feel it's just too hard for me to ever learn. Anyone else have laziness problems around getting into regular serious book study?
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started taking lessons at a Korean Hagwon in Kangnam. I had tried the same school last year and quit, because I didn't know the Hangul characters yet. It was too overwhelming for me, because the other students in the class already knew it and one guy spoke a ton of Korean (he was just there to learn to write).

This year I can read the Hangul, and pronounce a lot of it correctly -- or at least close. Things are much easier this time around. I just started a few weeks ago though.

By the way, if you want to learn to speak it quickly, then the Intensive Morning program at Seoul National is the way to go. It costs though -- as in about 1.3 million won every 2 months and a week, or so. And it will take a year and a half, if memory serves.

I know one guy who attends Seoul National University (foreigner) and he took afternoon classes at the University while learning the language in the mornings. Don't know how he was able to do this for the first 6 to 12 months.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
I guess I just lack the drive to sit with a book, pen, and paper for two hours a day. I learn by talking to people, watching tv, and yeah I do hit the book a bit, but not evey day. And everyday I tell myself I'm gonna change and get into a SERIOUS study habit. And it's not like I don't like it or feel it's just too hard for me to ever learn. Anyone else have laziness problems around getting into regular serious book study?

I agree, it's tough to stay motivated with just a textbook and a pencil. Gets boring pretty fast. Unfortunately, at the lower levels there aren't really that many ways of spicing it up. This is why beginner classes are so hellish to teach, but advanced classes can be so much more fun.

Here are some ideas, though. The Sogang University website has cartoons and games ([url]korean.sogang.as.kr[/url]) that are definitely more fun than slogging through a textbook, and it goes down to the early novice level.

Arirang TV used to run a TV show called Let's Speak Korean, which wasn't too bad. They still have the old episodes on Video On Demand on their website (www.arirangtv.com). You have to register, but registration is free.

Read, read, read! Try to read anything you come across, looking things up in the dictionary (I recommend investing in an electronic dictionary if you haven't already) and textbook (for grammar patterns) as you go along. Kids' books and comic books are good this way, but the ads on the subway make a great educational time killer. Even if you don't understand everything, you will pick up a lot of useful vocab, and reinforce the grammar patterns you've been learning from your textbooks.

Good people to talk to in your broken Korean are taxi drivers and barmaids at cocktail bars. Cab drivers seem to ask me the same things over and over again, so it was a great way to get down basic small talk, and sometimes the conversations get a bit more interesting. Same goes for cocktail barmaids (plus it's their job to talk to you), they seem to put up with and have the patience for even the most horrible mangling of the language.

If you can stand to listen to K-pop and trot music, there are all kinds of TV shows where they have singing contests and classes. Since they're close captioned, you can follow the lyrics on the screen while they sing.

You're right, the more fun you can put into your studies, the more you'll do it.
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yes... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Romanization is a waste of time for everybody, so do not let your students do the same thing with their language when they are learning English.

I have to agree with this. You know how utterly ridiculous it is to see Korean phrasebooks that ONLY have the way to say a word in Korean in English? Kamsahamnida. Choisonhamnida. Well, all very well and good for speaking like a parrot, but not good for thinking in and adapting to a different country's alphabet.
Also, my Korean co-teacher made sure that none of our kids wrote English words in Korean for the exact same reason. If you're learning a new language with a new alphabet, it'll do no good to use the old one as a crutch.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
By the way, if you want to learn to speak it quickly, then the Intensive Morning program at Seoul National is the way to go. It costs though -- as in about 1.3 million won every 2 months and a week, or so. And it will take a year and a half, if memory serves.

I know one guy who attends Seoul National University (foreigner) and he took afternoon classes at the University while learning the language in the mornings. Don't know how he was able to do this for the first 6 to 12 months.

As a general rule the Seoul National University program is not too popular amongst the students who shuffle between the different programs. It's the cheapest (I think your figure of 1.3 is too high) but apparently it starts bad and boring and gets worse the more you progress into it -- never attended it myself, but I've heard it from a lot of people.

The year and a half is standard for the programs. Yonsei's A program would take a year and a half and Sogang's program (as they don't always offer level 7) can be done in a year and half.
Zed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Korean AND Chinese? Reply with quote

theredfrog wrote:
I have a question that sort of falls along the same lines as the original post, but I hope I don't change the subject too much on this thread...

I'm already plannning on taking Korean lessons when I arrive in September, but I wanted to know if any one of you guys has taken any Mandarin lessons while in Korea. I know Chinese isn't one of the easiest languages in the world, but I figure living in Asia for a year is the best opportunity I'll have to pick it up. If anyone knows of any Chinese language schools in the Seoul area, or has any experience learning it in Korea, I'd love to hear about it.

The other teacher at my school is married to a Chinese woman. She teaches a couple of Chinese classes at our school. She speaks English. If you are interested she would probably be interested in picking up a lesson.
l'il kim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, SNU has a morning intensive program from 9-1, as does Yonsei, where I've been enrolled since April. Ths cost for Yonsei is W1.3 million. There are two separate streams (in principle, anyway): A, which takes 18 months, and B, which takes 2 years to complete. The idea is that the A course is supposed to be for kyopos and Japanese, while B is for "real" foreigners. However (mainly because the foreigners for whom the B course was intended thought it was for retards, I suspect), nearly everyone is enrolled in the A course: when I took level 2, there were 16 sections for A and only 1 for B. Frankly, there should be way more people in B, as those distinctions exist for a reason.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think that if you are truly serious about learning Korean, an intensive program (20 hours a week) is the only way to go. In the beginner levels at Yonsei (1 and 2), we did almost nothing but grammar, and even after 400 hours, it still hasn't quite sunk in. And it's supposed to be easier for me, as I'm kyopo and was a diligent student! But my feeling is that Korean is a damn hard language and not one that people are likely to pick up by osmosis, or by studying 5 hours a week.
shawner88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else here have trouble pronouncing leer? I have a hard time with that especially when it's frequent in a word or sentence. I also get frustrated when I think I know how to pronounce something, then I try it out in real life nobody understands me. You have to be dead on with pronunciation with most things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: