Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buying a cell phone....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: buying a cell phone.... Reply with quote

Got a friend in a small town near Chin-Hae teaching. He has an E2, all legit, etc. Broke up with his girlfriend, she cancels his cell phone, he goes to SK to get it hooked up again, no service. He tries to buy another cell phone and SK would not let him buy the phone. Actually buying was ok; getting service was another problem! SK wants 200.000 Won from ALL foreigners as a deposit if they want the phone in their name. The only foreigners exempt are F1/F4 holders. Sure, the way around it is have the phone in a koreans name or go the pre paid system. Has anyone bought a cell phone outright from SK, etc. and has the phone in there name? If so, how?
Cabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW
I am really surprised at your dificulty in buying a phone here!! I have been here a little over 2 years and have had a dozen phones!! The last one that I bought was a new colour phone with English menu. The guy at the shop was more than happy to sell it to me. The thing about phones in this country is that you have to start with a card phone (pay as you use) and after having that for 6 months only then will they let you go onto a payment plan. That is if you want it all in your name. So you have to buy the phone outright as aposed to paying it off on a plan.
They shouldnt be asking for 200 000 as a deposit, he may have been asking you to buy the phone outright.
Oh and KTF is better than SK when it comes to dealing with weigooks. I found SK to be a little less likely to sell me a phone than KTF was.
I am selling my phone if your friend is interested Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: