Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

29 years old is TOO old in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the cut off limit these days are 1970.

If you are born before 1970, you WILL have a more difficult time getting a job.
rush

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you are in that age bracket... whats next??
kevinst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Age not an issue Reply with quote

View the link below: I think that you will be suprised at the answers.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=5985&highlight=[url]
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Teacher wrote:
Run Forrest Run wrote:
I'm not certain since I dont live there, but I hear Korea is nothing in this compared to Japan... The home of Logan's Run

By the time I was 34 years old I had an EXTREMELY hard time finding work in Japan which was too bad because I loved living there. The last place I worked was a big company and the only reason they hired me is that they really needed someone who could teach writing and proof manuals. Had they been able to find someone ten years younger to do that job I would have not been selected. They told me as much. In order to get rid of me they transferred me to a research centre in the sticks.

this makes me sad because I'm looking across the East Sea / Sea Of Japan as a possible escape from this place when it gets to the end of my tolerance.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you know, there are many catagories of ESL in Korea: 1) Kindi/Kids 2) Adults/U.students 3)Universities 4)E ~ M 5) Business Traveling Classes 6) Multi-Meda 7) Management 8 ) Recruiting 9) Privates.

Number 1 and number 9 are probably the most well known because they are the most talked about. My point is, there are alot of fields of teachers to find work in all ages. YES, there is an age limit in many of these fields are it is approximately people who are born before 1970 these days. And in actuality, there are some very good reasons that I could explain, but since I feel some of you are not ready to hear the truth, I shall hold my tongue.

However, I do feel that there are some really qualified teachers who break this glass ceiling and have proven that age has nothing to do with being a good teacher. Over the many years of being in this industry, I have seen so many teachers and can honestly tell you that there ARE great old teachers, however, the probability of getting one of these great whites is rare.
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 1964 and have no problem getting keeping great jobs, real university positions, so I do not think 1970 is a "cut off" for anything. Further, I have friends in thier 40's, 50's and even 60's who have jobs that hagwan hell teachers would slobber over.

The key to getting a good job is having a qualifications, a good work ethic, a good portfolio to show a potential employer and refrences from former employers. Nose rings, piercings and tatoos are out. Further, universities are interested in getting and keeping good people because they are not easy find
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Teacher wrote:

The key to getting a good job is having a qualifications, a good work ethic, a good portfolio to show a potential employer and refrences from former employers. Nose rings, piercings and tatoos are out. Further, universities are interested in getting and keeping good people because they are not easy find

I have to agree. Smile
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Too Old To Teach in Korea Reply with quote

When I started my University job here, we had an American teacher who was 67 years old. He was 60 when he started his job and taught for 7 years here (he was renewed 6 times). Then he retired and went back to The USA. After a year, he got bored. He will start teaching here agin this spring at age 69, and will be 70 before his new contract is up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: