Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For people who are thinking of going into privates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mankind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: For people who are thinking of going into privates. Reply with quote

Disclaimer: teaching privates is illegal and you can be fined and or deported. This post is in no way meant to endorse private teaching.

Second for all you people who just want to post how wrong privates are to do (even after the disclaimer), just keep it to yourself. I'm just posting information for people who are less law-abiding than you.

This post appeared buried in an old post. I'm just refreshing it for people because it was a little off topic.

For the people who don't know but are thinking of going for some privates, here is some real info. To make the big money in privates (over 3-4 mill) you need to work everyday. Sats and Sundays too. Like about 3-4 hours a day. It's not tiring, but after a few months, you really enjoy (and sometimes need) a 3-4 days of nothing. If you are willing to teach kids a lot, than you can get away with 5 or 6 days a week, but your hours per day jump up some. Me I wouldn't go near kids for less than a 100 an hour (and not too many offer that). If you are single, well I don't think you can do it for a long time without burnout. It's nice when you work everyday, to have most of your laundry done for you, hot meals waiting and the like. Wives (or husbands) make it a lot easier to make it.

You really need to always have more classes planned than you want to teach. Because something always falls through or gets cancelled or just runs its course. If you want to teach 20 hours, you need to have about 22-25 hours avaiable. This means that some of your time is spent teaching more than you want, but you'll find other times of not finding enough. So think before you do this. It can be stressful.

The last thing I can say about doing privates is, that you better be a damn good teacher, if you plan on doing it long and getting good hourly pay. I can demand 50 minimum because I've been here forever, have worked for extended times at Uni, have a good education, am not bad looking (my wife says I'm adorable) and can interview my ass of. You need luck, skills, and education to make the big bucks doing it. And to be honest, I've only met a few people in Korea, who have done it for any length of time at a high lv of income and sanity.

HAND Smile

Last edited by Mankind on Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: And he is So Modest,Too Reply with quote

In addition to being adorable,intelligent,and well-educated,he is also a very modest,self-effacing guy. Laughing
Although if he is as adorable as he apparently thinks he is,that probably is the key point in making the good money.However,it is STILL illegal,and even an adorable guy MIGHT get busted. Rolling Eyes
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on people we all know one thing thats for sure..

If you put in the time, make the effort WORK YOUR ASS OFF!! you will make money just like any job in the world...

if you are a barman and you work 40 hours a week and the other guy is doing 70 hours 7 days splits the whole nine yards of course he is going to see more money than you...

yes you can make money in privates if you WORK for it!!!

is that all life means to you? then go for it.. work everyday do 10 hour days make some cash travel 1-2 hours to jobs...
choose a life!
anyone can make money if you willing to work for it!!
back home or here!!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Itaewon Reply with quote

Itaewonguy makes some very good points in his post...plus(again)..privates are ILLEGAL.

Itaewonguy has an interesting avatar,too.But I do not think that avatar is taking place in Itaewon.Unless,of course,it is some guy getting measured for a brand-new custom tailored suit. Smile
Mankind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Itaewon guy, if only I could get 70 hours in a month. I would quit after 6 months move back home and buy a house and teach. Even at 40,000 an hour that is just an incredible amount of dough. At 40 an hour, thats 11,200,000 a month!!!

But for people wondering. No you can't work that many privates hours (without a miracle). If you can get 30-40 hours into a schedule, thats about the best you can do. Times just over lap too much. Everyone wants, early mornings, and after work. Get a few lunch time gigs and if you want kids in the afternoon to maximize.

Mody Ba is right when he says that my looks help with money. Education and experience makes you an extra 10-20 an hour. Having blond hair, blue eyes and not being fat gets you a ton of offers. That used to piss me off. I think it is silly to base things on looks but thats the way it is done here. Use what you can to your advantage.

Funny Story- At my last university job after all the first interviews, I met the president for the final ok needed. We sat down he looked at me and said "You are very handsome. Girl students will all want to date you. That is good. Because they will always come to your class and study. It is ok if you date student. I know this happen much." My wife disagreed with that last part.

HAND Smile

p.s. I'm off today because a planned class got cancelled yesterday. Thats why you plan extra, cause stuff like this happens. Even to adorable people like me Rolling Eyes
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Mankind for telling it the way it is and throwing out some good advice.

"privates are illegal"

How tiresome and overdone, and always going back to the same pathetic argument between what right and what's wrong.

Might as well argue about drug decriminalization, abortion, and gun control while you're at it.

Mody Ba--here's a guy offering some good advice, and then you dive into the thread whining about the legality like a tattletale weanie. Get over it.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Legality. Reply with quote

Sooooo,I was "whining about the legality"Well, I guess that disturbs people like Buck who do not mind breaking the law to put more money in their pockets,because that is really what it boils down to...but unfotunately, we will never be rid of this kind of "teachers". If anything, there seem to be more of them all of the time.
Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privates are wrong. Shame on you.
Mankind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
who do not mind breaking the law to put more money in their pockets,because that is really what it boils down to...but unfotunately, we will never be rid of this kind of "teachers".

Mody Ba come now. What about the millions (some teachers) who lie on their tax statements all across N.A.? Have you or anyone you know, ever fudged a little? Did you read them the riot act everyday?

As for it being law. Yes it is illegal. But it is a silly law. Does that make it ok to break it? I say yes!!!!!!!!! Breaking a law is a way of protesting a law, especially when the people of the country in question don't care (or support) that you broke it.

Stupid laws people break.
1. Alabama-it is illegal to use a vibrator. I bet some people use them in secret. http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/021031/sextoy.shtml
2. 13 states still make Sodomy illegal. Punishments go as high as 20 years in prison! Where you get more Sodomy? Is that a reward?
http://archive.aclu.org/issues/gay/sodomy.html
3. Jay-Walking (sometimes it is not a stupid law).

Mody Ba you have a lot of people to go preach too. The law that I'm talking about breaking gets a lot less protest for it than the ones above. Leading one to believe that the above 3 are more valid.

You know what on further review, you've convinced me Mody Ba. Everyone join me now!
NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA! NO DILDOS IN ALABAMA!

HAND Smile
BTM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For people who are thinking of going into privates.

Now would these be male privates or female? 'Cause I ain't goin' into male privates no matter how much you pay me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: