Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hagwon bosses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OverLeft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: hagwon bosses Reply with quote

After reading a sampling of posts, teachers being ripped off by their bosses seems to be a common theme. Is it really as bad as it sounds or rather is it just a bit of exaggerated venting?
Not Angry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from my experience and from what my friends tell me, but here goes...

My hagwon pays me on time, after I set a precedent that late payment would not be tolerated, when the tried to put off paying me over the weekend after my first month) Now I am paid on time. In fact usually one day early.

However. They have lied and cheated plenty of times. Overscheduling, overtime work (they promised to pay then when payday comes around it isn't there and everyone has conveniently forgotten the extra work I did. Any dispute about money at my hagwon is never settled. We are pushed from person to person with no results in the hope that we will just forget about it or give up.

They have threatened me and other teachers. Not a very good place overall.

Most of my friends here have it worse than I do. A few have better working conditions but the make considerably less money. I don't work at a big chain school. Just an everexpanding small school that wants to be much bigger than it is with a management staff that is entirely inept. I would run... but that is not in my charachter. Needless to say I will not be renewing my contract. There are a lot of amazing and interesting people, sights, and places in Korea. I don't regret coming here but working at a Hagwon as made it very difficult at times. Just my thoughts.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would be coming on here and saying how his/her boss treats him/her fairly? What would be the point?

I'd say there are plenty of owners out there who pay on time, don't complain about your teaching style, etc. My first boss paid me on time all the time. The only complaint I have about her was she was rude and had too many meetings with the foreign staff. My second boss has paid me on time, hasn't made me attend any meetings and I've only had to do one thing beyond teaching (be a judge in a year-end student contest). The only gripe I have with him is last minute changes to my schedule (such as, "you have a new class today, forgot to tell you earlier").

Anyway, don't be scared off by all the BS you hear on here. Just as long as you talk to people who are working at the hogwon and you do a little research you'll be fine.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key, as always, is to establish a good, matey relationship with your bos. It may be hard to do, but I've found they never betray this and will treat you well. Conversely., you can do the most perfect job but they will try and shaft you somehow, if they don't really like you personally.
Adults never really grow out of the playground rules....
viva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss treats me extremely well. I get everything i need taken care of, and am always paid on time. I was reimbursed for my plane ticket immediately upon arrival.

I consider myself lucky though, as most hogwon bosses are just out to make money and don't care too much about treating their foreign employees well.

Do your research and you may end up lucky and get a good boss. However, please be advised that one can never know for sure until you are actually working here. You can do all the research in the world but there is a certain level of risk in accepting a job you got off the internet and flying to the other side of the world.

Good Luck!
blackbird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for an angel for over a year. My classes are always full so it may be a case of she is nice to me because it is in her best interest. I am certainly nice to her for this very reason.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a crapshoot if you're not looking in person, and don't let anyone tell you different.

The only way to be sure is to come over here and look for a job from Korea. That negates part of the advantage of teaching in Korea (free airfare and minimal startup cost), but there is only so much you can find out from home. Do you feel lucky? Well do you?

Having said that, most people seem to at the very least, land on their feet.

Just make sure you have options, just in case things go horribly, horribly wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: