Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those second hand stores bite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Those second hand stores bite Reply with quote

I read about that second-hand shop that raises money for charity and I thought, "That's a good concept, I'll check it out." When I visited their site, however, I realized they are just like any other crappy second-hand shop in Korea.

Koreans don't get it. If you're going to sell second-hand merchandise you've got to sell it at second-hand prices. I compared items at several second hand stores to items at new furniture stores and found that the second-hand merchandise often equaled or exceeded the new furniture price!!

These places are a TOTAL SCAM. Do not buy from them! Spend a few Won more and go with the new. If you want to help poor people volunteer your time at a shelter or orphanage.

Goddam, Koreans piss me off sometimes...
semphoon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a second hand blender for W5,000.

Bargain.
Hanson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Those second hand stores bite Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
I read about that second-hand shop that raises money for charity and I thought, "That's a good concept, I'll check it out." When I visited their site, however, I realized they are just like any other crappy second-hand shop in Korea.

Koreans don't get it. If you're going to sell second-hand merchandise you've got to sell it at second-hand prices. I compared items at several second hand stores to items at new furniture stores and found that the second-hand merchandise often equaled or exceeded the new furniture price!!

These places are a TOTAL SCAM. Do not buy from them! Spend a few Won more and go with the new. If you want to help poor people volunteer your time at a shelter or orphanage.

Goddam, Koreans piss me off sometimes...

This hasn't been my experience either...
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you guys are shopping, but where I've been they sell ancient VCRs for around W80-100,000. What a damn joke.
antoniothegreat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted a used mini-fridge to put in my office at school. i went to the second-hand store and asked about it, they had one at an excellent price of 100,000 won! wow, only twice the price i would expect to pay for a new one. great deal!
John Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got jacked for a sh*tty cd/stereo when I first got here. No doubt they see a whitey and up the price. My buddy has bought some stuff at good prices though. You just gotta know market value and haggle/stand your ground.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes there's just too much asking price on things, it's nuts.

But there was a used store I went to that was religious in that the guy on the kitchen ware side of the building had gospel tapes blaring one day. He was the odd kind of charity worker that looked up to himself for working there but looked down on anyone lowdown enough to shop there. Ok, buddy. To blaring gospel music. BUT on the other side of the shop, the appliances and furniture, the guy had his head screwed on straight. A transformer you'd buy 40 bucks new he sold for ten. After rigging up a plug for it and testing it, smiling, asking 'man won'. If your house burns down, no problem! It was cheap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: