Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni Interview - What to expect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catalina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Uni Interview - What to expect? Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

I just got a call for a uni interview (tomorrow) and I was wondering if all you uni types could give me a few pointers on what to expect, what to wear, how to act. All those things.

I did try to use the search function to find some details but nothing is specific enough.

Regards,

Catalina
Real Reality

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: real Reply with quote

Good luck. Have a positive experience.

Did you see the discussion at the following link?
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=5736
Foreign professors tend to be treated as hired hands, without academic standing, and lacking the possibility of career advancement or tenure.
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200206/14/200206142349223599900090109011.html

My survival advice for convention interviews is:

1. Be prepared. Be sure that you have researched the school so that you have ascertained their needs and can direct your remarks to what they appear to need. This includes knowing who's on the staff, who teaches what and how territorial the place is. You don't want to outline a course that someone else is already very invested in teaching. I prepare a cram sheet for each interview that records my research for the job, my analysis of their needs, and the anticipated questions I'll need to address. It also includes the questions I want to ask them.

2. Strike fast. Try to establish your candidacy in the first 5 minutes of the interview. The standard pieces of advice for business interviews apply here, too. Look people in the eye. Answer questions succinctly. Have ready good snappy short and medium length answers to the standard questions. DO NOT drone on for 15 minutes

3. It's an old cliche, but try to relax and be yourself. Don't try to hide who you are. Be careful about creating different personas for different interviews at the convention. You will be seeing search committee members throughout the weekend and you need to remember who you are for each encounter. Believe in your skills and give it your best shot.

4. Dress distinctively (but don't violate too many conventions). After 2-3 days trapped in a hotel room interviewing, search committee members are completely fried or bored or both. It'll be hard to remember you if you looked and dressed like every other candidate.

http://www.otal.umd.edu/~sies/jobadvice.html

Having a Successful Job Interview
http://www.sla.org/chapter/ctor/toolbox/career/success.htm
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice advice. I attended an international school job fair a few years ago and was appalled by how competitive candidates were - particularly the "race" to the tables for interview signups, with people pushing and shoving... is that normal for job fairs? If so, they suck.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: chaos Reply with quote

I guess job fairs tend to be that way. However, I think the organization (and organizers) of the fair can influence the level of chaos. My university job fair was well-organized and orderly. (Well, mostly orderly.)

Sometimes people are just too stressed to get a job. Is there simply too much competition? Are there too many well-qualified applicants? Are there too few high quality position vacancies?

I wish the best of luck and success to the people looking for a decent job. Strive to be happy during and after the search.
Catalina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Interview Follow-up Reply with quote

Hi again,

Well, I had the interview and it went really well - thank you Real Reality for your advice. I felt very prepared for the panel's questions and I went in feeling very calm and collected.

I think I must have impressed them BECAUSE THEY JUST CALLED AND OFFERED ME THE POSITION!! Very Happy Very Happy

Too bad there isn't an Emoticon for back flips.

So, now I get to deal with breaking a hagwon contract and saying hello to university life! There are worse things to contemplate Laughing

Thanks again!,

Catalina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: