Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

prices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyuk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: prices? Reply with quote

can someone give me a general run down on the following, ta..

1 price of ciggies per pack

2 price of beer in decent bar

3 average cost of food for the week

4 anything else u can think of....

thanks for yr help
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cigs - dunhills or marlboroughs = 2000 won, price soon to go up because of Korea's get tough on tobacco campaign. Korean smokes 1600-2000 won depending on brand. oh yeah, just because there called dunhill light doesn't mean they are: tar = 6.0 mg, nicotine = .6 mg. Wheeeee. . .

beer in a 'decent' bar = 3000-4000 won for a small bottle of locally made beer, or cheap imports. If you drink draft it's cheaper but be warned as to the morning after effects of drinking seng mekju. If you want to drink imported bottles, you can pay up to 12000 for one bottle.

food for a week - eating only Korean food is way cheaper. Veggies and fruit are on the expensive side, so be careful what you buy. If you want to eat 'Western', expect to pay through the nose i.e. 3-4 X what you'd pay back home. I used to average about 30000-40000 a week, including beer for home and a few western treats, such as coffee. Coffee is expensive. Beef is very expensive. Eat pork and tofu = much cheaper.

cell phone = 30000-50000 won a month. Important to have a cell phone for socializing
danyuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: ok.... Reply with quote

how come people save loadsa money...it dont look that cheap, i spose it could be if u really scrimped on everything....If people could tell me how they manage to save loads this would be cool
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these links. Some good info in regards to the cost of living, how much money people save and some savings tips.

1. Can You Save Money in Korea?
2. Korean Salaries/Cost of Living
3. Making and Saving Tips
4. Cost of Living
5. Living Expenses Vs Saving in Korea
6. Is it possible to save money on 2.0-2.3 million won?
7. Cost of Living in Korea
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how come people save loadsa money...it dont look that cheap, i spose it could be if u really scrimped on everything....If people could tell me how they manage to save loads this would be cool

Ok first up you need to think about things are a percentage of your income not always converting back into your home country currency.

Some people do privates to supplement their income, however if you get busted your fined and kicked out of the country. So you need to think about that if you decide to start doing them.

Imported stuff costs a lot here, esp. booze. If you drink a lot you will not save a lot but that's just like back home.

But the biggest way to save money is to budget properly. Give your self a realistic amount to spend per week and stick to it (I allow myself 200000won and often don't spend it all).

This thread has saving advice

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4495

This thread asks if it's possible.
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4675

CLG
denz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
Check out these links. Some good info in regards to the cost of living, how much money people save and some savings tips.

1. Can You Save Money in Korea?
2. Korean Salaries/Cost of Living
3. Making and Saving Tips
4. Cost of Living
5. Living Expenses Vs Saving in Korea
6. Is it possible to save money on 2.0-2.3 million won?
7. Cost of Living in Korea

she's a machine!

denz
richinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: ok.... Reply with quote

danyuk wrote:

A. - Live like a hermit
B. - Do privates
C. - Not save loadsa $$$
Seatangle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on where you're coming from. For me, an American, $1.25 for cigarettes, and less than $2.00 for 750 ml of Hite is waaaaay cheap. If I didn't drink and smoke I could easily live on 400,000 or less each month. Since I have both these vices, plus a penchant for travel, I spend a little more, but still I send home close to $1000 USD each month. If you're a Canadian or a Kiwi the economics are a bit different, but you should still do ok. And oh, by the way, I don't do any privates. All my income is legal.

You really can save money here. Really.
danyuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u eat local food, local alcohol, the diff in price must be somewhat substantial...what is the local alcohol like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: