Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Food for Newbies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wombat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!

The *beep* was meant to read c o c k e l s - as in, shellfish. Hehe

Wombat
erlyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doncasse! Alright, it's not technically Korean - it's "fusion" food, but you can find it in most food courts or fusion restaurants. It's a piece of boneless pork, breaded and deep fried, served with a brown sauce (usually not spicy), plain rice and a shredded cabbage salad with mystery dressing. This is great for the unadventurous, or those who really dislike spicy foods. And it's usually pretty cheap - between 4,000 and 6,000 won, depending on the quality.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don kat su is completely japanese, but good never the less

can't believe no one mentioned sam gyup sal + soju, aka bacon and distilled rice.
OverLeft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding scandelous I'm going to ask a question many of us are curious about; has anyone tried ke-gaw-gee? If so, how's it taste? I guess a supplementary question would be: what's the strangest food (in your opinion) you've tried during your time in korea?

Last edited by OverLeft on Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it last summer, along with "weatherman" and our SO's. I thought it tasted strange. Not horrible, certainly not good, but strange. Try it again? No thanks. Maybe it's an acquired taste.
saw6436

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Dog is delicious! Reply with quote

Not for the timid but I happen to enjoy Bo-shin-tang. Alsoc tasty is steamed dog meat wrapped in Sesame leaves. I don't eat it every day but it is especially good in summer.
Velvet Sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this was mention... but Kalbi Tang has been a huge staple for me.. If I don't feel like something spicy.. and it tastes a bit like a broth that my mom would have made for homemade soup.. nice and light.. YUMMMY
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dammit, its all about the

Sam Gyup Sal + Soju!!!
Pootie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: food Reply with quote

I'm trying to expand my horizons and I like Korean food, but it seems like everytime I go out, it's the same taste. Like one time I had bulgogi, good stuff, and the next 5 times, it was chicken in a spicy red sauce, with cabbage and onions, then beef same style, then squid, same style, then chicken hearts (or something) served same style. I tried Sam Kyup Sal, the bacon in a lettuce wrap, pretty good, but again, it's almost a similar taste, also the Kalbi Sal, good but things aren't much different from the next dish. I know America is the melting pot, so we've got "Spaghetti to hamburgers to tacos to grilled cheese to meatloaf to a turkey club, then top it off with chocolate pudding or cheesecake.
Anything I should ask for that would be different that you guys would recommend?
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an older newbie (ok I'm almost at 5 months)

Kalbi
Buloggi
Da Kalbi
Those chicken kebab things from the stall.

Those dumpling things you can buy at the supermarket mungo I think.

CLG
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry lemongirl, just thought i'd clarify -

Buloggi - bulgogi is the generic name for meats that are cooked over flames, or when such meat is used as an ingradient in a dish. ask for 'bulgogi' in a restaurant and you will probably just end up with what the staff thinks a foreigner would like best.

Da Kalbi - dak kalbi is chicken ribs, breast in hot sause with vegetables and rice cakes and stuff

Those chicken kebab things from the stall - dak kkochi (but yeah, you don't really need to know the names. i reckon they're made of cats.

Those dumpling things you can buy at the supermarket mungo I think - man-du! mungo is a good name though.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Dagalbi, and Bulgoi I like the ones that are done like a bit stew, ie. read paste, vegies some noodles let it simmer then eat.

Damn that's nice.

CLG
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:
sorry lemongirl, just thought i'd clarify -

Buloggi - bulgogi is the generic name for meats that are cooked over flames, or when such meat is used as an ingradient in a dish. ask for 'bulgogi' in a restaurant and you will probably just end up with what the staff thinks a foreigner would like best.

Then uh how is it that i've had bulgogi (and ordered it) at numerous restaurants? I've seen it on the menu as well so I'm definitly sure they just didn't give me some random meat dish they thought i'd like.. Bulgogi is thinly sliced beef in a garlic/soy sauce. It is similar to the marinate for kalbi (perhaps the same, I don't know). It isn't cooked directly over a flame either. THey put it on some silver type pan and put it on a regular stove-like flame and not coals like they use for Kalbi. They also pour the sauce over the meat when they put the meat on the pan. It usually is served mixed with mushrooms and the noodles that are used in chop-chae. Some restaurants throw in a couple green leafed veggies as well, some don't. One prettty good bulgogi restaurant is the one next to TGIFridays in Mok-Dong.

Gogi is the generic name for meat, not bulgogi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: