Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Jeju

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Working in Jeju Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian who has a four B.A. I worked in Incheon for a year and now I want to get a job in Jeju Island. I heard that they pay a little less than the mainland. What monthly salary should I ask for? I will work 30hours a week. I'm thinking about 2.2million; is that a little high for Jeju?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get screwed working in Jeju at most hokwons. And actually working at most hokwons in korea. Why? Schools pay cheap because they know that teachers will sign a B.S. contract for 1.8 teaching 7/8 classes a day. School owners say "the cost of living in Jeju is cheaper than elsewhere in korea." Wrong answer! The food cost the same as in seoul, housing is the same, taxi fare is the same, etc. Ask the school what is cheaper? The schools in Jeju charge students the same amount for tuition as schools in seoul! In some cases, more! Schools tell parents "we charge more because we can't get teachers to come to Jeju!" But they sure don't pay the teachers anything! If you're in an "officetel" for housing, it'll cost you an average of 150.000 Won each month in maintenance fees. If you're at an apartment, gas, heating oil, cable TV, electric, phone, will run an average of 100.000 Won each month. Flying out of Jeju to seoul costs 160.000 Won R/T. If you're being paid 1.8, go figure!!
You'll have split shifts in most cases, early am and late pm. Stay away from BCM, SISA and the other chain schools. You might luck out and find a decent school owner but they are far and few between, Remember, these are not schools, they are a business.
Until teachers wise up and stop signing B.S. contracts, it won't get better.
So, having said that, you won't get 2.0. you won't get 1.9.
The air is clean, not much traffic and crowds. The same pushy/rude people though.
The best place to be in korea is Jeju however IF you like the outdoors, ocean, water sports, mountains, SCUBA. I know a few teachers in Jeju who have been here for years! And are making 1.8. I don't know how one can like teaching 7/8/9 classes a day. You'll burn out. Jeju has hundreds of hokwons! Everybody and their brother wants on the bandwagon to own a hokwon! Schools want Canadians, Kiwis and Aussies; they seem to be the most who work for the low wages and teach many classes.
em

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helluvaniceguy,

I had a sense of deja-vu when I read THIS EXACT SAME POST over in the q and a forum in answer to my query about a school. Now here it is again. That's three, possibly more, times that I've seen it. What gives? After doing a bit of a job-hunt it becomes clear what the salaries are like on Jeju. No one forces people to take the contracts. They are there for exactly the reasons that you listed at the end of your post. And, from what I hear, everyone wants in on the hakwon ownership game all over Korea, not just on Jeju - there are bad school and good schools all through Korea. Why the hate-on for Jeju?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hate for Jeju or korea, don't put words in my mouth. You are misunderstanding my posting. All I'm saying is that the wages are low in Jeju because teachers are accepting low wages. I know of many teachers who also agree that the living and working conditions would improve for all if workers would not sign B.S. contracts.
But it won't happen....
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know of many teachers who also agree that the living and working conditions would improve for all if workers would not sign B.S. contracts.

Apparently some workers don't feel the contracts are "B.S." You think they're being taken, and it's depressing the overall job market. They may disagree.
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Find somewhere that is making pottery and get some clay, any type will do the job. When you get food poisoning just take a level teaspoon of clay in a litir of water and do this for a day and that will be the end of your problems.
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Yes, and I've fixed myself and others.

http://www.the-cma.org.uk/HTML/experts13.htm

http://www.eytonsearth.org/uses.html

http://www.altcancer.com/e_ruins.htm

That should give you an idea. Clay particals have a negative electrical charge and most (nearly all) toxins have a positive. When the two charged particals combine the toxic particals can no longer affect you. When you mix clay with water you let it stand for a couple of minutes and then drink the cloudy water. Only the clay that is colouring the water can help you not the stuff that settles out on the bottom of the glass, mixing bowl.

It take about 10 to 20 minutes to work after you drink it. All true clays do the job. Any clay that is used for pottery in other words.
em

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used charcoal - just grabbed from the firepit, ground up, mixed with water, and (tee hee!) bottoms up! - to combat the nausea that comes with heatstroke. I felt better almost immediately. They sell charcoal pills in some pharmacies for exactly that purpose. I'm not sure that clay would work for food poisoning but hell, any port in a storm, eh? And food poisoning can sure be stormy!
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Taking stuff to prevent being poisoned, Fulvic Acid might be a better way to go. I do use the stuff but I have never knowingly used it to bind toxins in my system like I have with clay. But it is supposed to do the job even better than clay. Anyway here is a write up on Fulvic Acid. The stuff I use, I only use a few drops a liter. If I take too much I get a dry mouth and shortmess of breath but I'm asthmatic to start with.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THE FULVIC SOIL CLEANUP

Modern agriculture showers the soil with toxic residues. Residues from herbicides, pesticides and fungicides combine with heavy metals from acid-treated fertilisers, toxins from polluted water supplies and even unwanted industrial pollutants in our rainfall. The end result can be a soil-life environment that is far removed from the elementary comfort zone preferred by beneficial microorganisms. Fulvic acid is the solution to this toxic overload. This incredibly absorbent material is a powerful detoxifier. Humic acid has a very high CEC of 450, but fulvic acid is like a toxin-sponge with a CEC of 1400. If a child accidently ingests poison, the first treatment is invariably activated charcoal, which absorbs the toxins in the body before they can continue causing cellular damage. Fulvic 1400, with its CEC of 1400, acts in much the same way in the soil, although here the toxins are not just isolated and concentrated, they are also biodegraded more rapidly.

THE �HONEYPOT� EFFECT

Leading US microbiologist, Professor Elaine Ingham, has demonstrated the fact that even the most biodegradable of chemicals like Glyphosate herbicides do not rapidly break down in soils that are �microbially challenged�. Unfortunately the majority of our soils now fall into this �challenged� category, often due to toxic residues. When fulvic acid absorbs and stores these toxins, it also precipitates the biological degradation of these unwanted materials. In soils with limited microbial activity, fulvic acid can be such a potent microbial stimulant that sparse populations of microbes are drawn to the fulvic colloid like bees to a honey pot. This �honey pot effect� catalyses rapid and efficient biodegradability in soils where it could normally be expected to take months or years until the poisons were naturally removed.
Humic acids also exhibit these detoxifying qualities, but the fulvic detox response is more pronounced, due to a greater capacity to �bind� with organic and inorganic pollutants, and also due to the fact that fulvic acid is more leachable than humic acid and can cart the remaining toxins along on its journey down through the soil profile.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reported benefits are little short of astonishing. For internal use they are:

Increased energy

Alleviates anemia

Chelates body toxins

Reduces high blood pressure

Potentizes vitamin & mineral supplements

Magnifies the effect of herbal teas and tinctures

Chelates all monovalent and divalent metals

Is a powerful natural electrolyte

Restores electrochemical balance

Stimulates body enzyme systems

Helps rebuild the immune system

Reported external beneficial use in:

Treating open wounds

Healing burns with minimum pain or scarring

Eliminating discoloration due to skin bruises

Killing pathogens responsible for athletes foot

Acting as a wide spectrum anti-microbial and fungicide

Treating rashes and skin irritations

Helping to heal cuts and abrasions

Helping heal insect bites and spider bites

neutralizing poison ivy and poison oak

Because the complex naturally contains Organic Carbon, the molecular size is ultra tiny and the weight is extremely low. Therefore, the particle sizes are much smaller than the sizes and weight of most all Colloids. Thus, they are exceptionally absorbable and beneficial at the cellular level, providing innumerable energizing, detoxifying and metabolizing benefits. For example, noted health benefits include: rapid epidermal healing (scars, burns, acne, etc.), visual anti-aging and anti-oxidant qualities. Athletes and sports professionals have appreciated its ability to instantly replace over 65 100% Organic Electrolytes during physical and/or strenuous activities. Some of the physical results appear to be increased cellular oxygenation, endurance, energy, strength and stamina while reducing muscle cramps, muscle pulls and/or injury

Most of the health supplement business for us is a ripoff so the stuff I use is of high quality but is used for agriculture. Even then I research my supplier pretty good.
viva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original posters questions about Jeju....

Yes, it's quite true that hogwons and even the university jobs pay less on Jeju than on the mainland. Most people who live here are on Jeju for the location and the atmosphere. The people here are far more laid back and friendly than those on the mainland. (Yes, the people here are friendlier) The air is SOOO clean compared to elsewhere, and the drinkable tap water actually tastes good. There is a lot to do outside of the city. Hiking, camping, golfing, beaches, horseback riding, etc etc.

If you want to teach to make a lot of money Jeju is not really the place to be. If you want to find a nice place to live and work then Jeju is great.

Sometimes you have to make a tradeoff and decide between location and daily quality of life, and the good old bank account at the end of the month.

Most teachers can count on 1.8 to start, and salary is increased depending on education and experience. I wouldn't count on making 2.2 here, but if you've been around the ESL game long enough you may be able to make 2.0, but I wouldn't count on anything higher than that.

Also, not all the hogwons on Jeju are bad. Most of the foreigners I've met work at decent places. Yes, the chain schools do have bad reputaions (especially BCM and Sisa) but not all of them are bad. A good chain school on the island is Ding Ding Dang, although the franchise itself does have a bad rep in general.

Some good hogwons include the smaller more privately owned ones such as Jeju Magic World, or Jeffs Academy. KBS is large, but has a good rep in Jeju.

And, despite what other posters have said, it IS cheaper to live on Jeju, although probablly not by much.

If you've had the mainland experience Jeju is much different that that.

And further, teachers here don't settle for "BS Contracts", we like the location and that is more important than dollars in the end. I work for a great hogwon for 1.8, teaching 4-6 classes a day. I never work overtime and never teach more than 6 hours a day.

Hope this helps.
mattman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Viva
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping an ancient post out of curiosity. Anyone personally know or know of others working there that can add some up to date info? Have the wages/benefits improved from the time of this post (2013)

Yes, I'm a snorkeling/scuba bum~
shsaint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
jaziz69

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my first post here but I have some up to date information on working in Jeju. I'm not there (yet...) but I just had a phone interview with a hagwon. They sounded quite legit (the owner was Canadian and didn't try to BS me about the contract, fully informed about working house/expectancies ect. and that it could be a tough job so she was looking for the right person). The beginning pay-rate was 2.1 million won, however with an ESL cert/letter of recommendation/previous experience etc.) you are paid more. I have all of the previous (and degree) so she indicated a salary of 2.2/2.3, which I think is slightly higher than public school positions and good for a hagwon (I'm no expert though). I didn't ask much about the cost of living so can't help there. But apartment was all paid of course and round trip etc. Holidays were 1 week in summer, 1 in winter and public holidays. I'm still looking around for other opportunities in Jeju though so I'll let you guys know if much else comes up Smile
jaziz69

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and teaching hours were 5 x 60 minute classes per day, mon - fri. Normal Hagwon hours i.e. 2-8 / 3 - 9 which includes a break and class changeover time. But also they expect you to be at the school a couple hours before for lesson prep so you working hours are around 7-8 hours in school. But of course only 5hrs teaching. No weekend hours were expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: