Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

privates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tancred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: privates Reply with quote

i have a question regarding privates...i know this has been covered before, but it was never relevant to my situation so i never paid it much heed.

What is the deal with teaching privates...is it considered in bad form, or is it actually illegal. I suppose since my visa is strictly limited to one specific job, they are illegal, but can somebody give me the skinny on this....and also, what is the worst that can happen if one is caught doing this?

Just for the record, i have been offered to do this, and have declined since i'm almost finished my contract and don't need any hassles, but i'm curious what the real deal is with it anyway.

thanks in advance.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst than can happen is you get deported..
pay a fine of maybe 1 million won..but why pay the fine if you're going to be deported right..

its illegal but so is driving a motor bike on the footpath! you ever seen that happen before?
just do it!

then act like or sorry I didnt know...

you do the crime prepare to do the time!
odds of you getting caught are really slim!
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itaewon..
You pay the fine because if you don't they stick you in jail...they won't just tell you to "leave"..its called a fine so it will be enforced.

Anyways Tancred,

The privates issue is not clear. It has been debated on here a few times. Regardless of its its "right" or "wrong" it is for now illegal to do them in Korea.
That being said, many people do them and never get caught. Some do however get caught.
Like I said in another thread a guy that worked at a harwon close to our got busted last year. Perhaps his case was extraordinary but immigration showed up at his job (the legal one) one day and had a list of all his privates and the money he was making. They had frozen the money he had in the korean bank he was doing business with. He had to pay a fine and lost his saving in Korea and of course all the end of contract bonuses he was due. He was deported and a black mark put on his record as far as immigration is concerned.
I don't know how effective this "mark" is what I do know is that he lost a bundle. I knew the guy since he worked down the road from me. We had had lunch a few times. He was not a bad dude at all. and arguably he just got unlucky. But the immigration busts do happen.
He emailed me after getting home and after all was said and done he lost a chunk of change because of this. The fine was heavier than the 1 million won and he had to pay for his air ticket and all that.
Now, it seems that the Korean government is moving on the issue of privates. My wife was telling me that it will now (soon?) be possible to teach privates legally. You will have to register for a permit or something. Of course this means you will pay tax on the income you get from privates but thats just normal to me....
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tancred wrote:
i have a question regarding privates...i know this has been covered before, but it was never relevant to my situation so i never paid it much heed.

Take heed...

1. Privates
2. Deportation: How Long?
3. How much to charge for privates?
4. Do you teach Privates?
5. Other Good ESL Job Posting Sites
6. Go Underground
7. Is this legit?
8. Organising Privates
9. The Black Mark of Deportation
10. Book on How to Teach Privates
11. Doin� Privates
12. Busted! (for Teaching Privates)
13. Getting Caught Tutoring
14. Private Lessons
15. There is Nothing Morally Wrong With Teaching Privates
16. Looking for Private English Jobs Here in Seoul
17. **IMPORTANT** F2 Visa Holders Take Note
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
My wife was telling me that it will now (soon?) be possible to teach privates legally. You will have to register for a permit or something. Of course this means you will pay tax on the income you get from privates but thats just normal to me....

She said it will be legal for foreigners? Can you please find out where she got that information? It already is legal for Koreans and they do have to register, get a permit and pay taxes. Are you sure she wasn't talking about that?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Take heed...

1. Privates
2. Deportation: How Long?
3. How much to charge for privates?
4. Do you teach Privates?
5. Other Good ESL Job Posting Sites
6. Go Underground
7. Is this legit?
8. Organising Privates
9. The Black Mark of Deportation
10. Book on How to Teach Privates
11. Doin� Privates
12. Busted! (for Teaching Privates)
13. Getting Caught Tutoring
14. Private Lessons
15. There is Nothing Morally Wrong With Teaching Privates
16. Looking for Private English Jobs Here in Seoul
17. **IMPORTANT** F2 Visa Holders Take Note

Goodness!
I see a career in library technology for a certain new moderator...! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: