Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to Study Korean - where's the best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wangja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hater Depot wrote:
The best place to study Korean is at home, with a decent textbook and some audiotapes and good dictionaries.

The best place to learn Korean is in a bar, hanging out with your Korean friends or flirting with the bartender.

That's not so stupid.
ilovebdt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sukmyeong course Reply with quote

hojucandy wrote:
sukmyeong women's university offers a very good free (suggested donation W1,000 per class) course in korean. classes are held every saturday at 4.30pm. i have already made a post to the "korean language resources" sticky thread about this.

for help finding where the course is PM me.

I agree with Hojucandy. I attend these classes and really enjoy them. In my opinion, the best way to learn Korean is to combine self study with attending classes.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hater Depot wrote:
The best place to study Korean is at home, with a decent textbook and some audiotapes and good dictionaries.

The best place to learn Korean is in a bar, hanging out with your Korean friends or flirting with the bartender.

Not always true. I found my Korean really expanded when I started studying at Seoul Dae. Also the cost gave me the motivation to make sure I was getting my moneys worth.
c1204887

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: korean language Reply with quote

I downloaded some software from a company called declans they have a comprehensive package covering grammar, writing, speaking etc at a really good price. Your computer needs to be able to read hangul but you can down load a conversion file from microsoft.

http://www.declan-software.com/korean.htm

Hope this helps
Hater Depot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://langintro.com/kintro/first.htm

That site taught me how to read.

http://mithridates.netfreehost.com/

You can ask any question you want at Mith's Place.
fiveeagles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our church offeres free english lessons. Not bad for those who want to watch their budgets.

I am also finding some good free sites on the web, like this,
http://rki.kbs.co.kr/learn_korean/e-text.htm
jellyteecha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: to Study Korean - where's the best? Reply with quote

Watchful wrote:
Hi! I'm looking for a hagwon or university program that's not too pricy where I can study the Korean language. I'm thinking 2 hours a day for 2-4 days per week. Near Kangnam or Jamsil would be the most convenient. Any advice? Any experiences to share?

I got here just over a month ago and realized I should get movin' to speak the language as I couldn't find salt at the market. Hmm. Anyways. Smile

Hey I did the same thing sort of but I wanted sugar and instead I got salt. Maybe we could swap.
nobbyken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were did you buy the salt?
nobbyken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone

I just finished the 8-week course that started in Sookdae (Lingua Express), and found it OK. My wife is definately happy with what I learnt.
The morning classes (10-1) are the ones you need. Any afternoon classes are probably a lot of Korean culture nonsence.

You get graded on your ability, ie. can you read Hangul?, and then placed in a class. I was in KFL 1b and was a little stange for me, because it had 7 young Chinese students in it. Thankfully, there English was pretty good.

I also saw first hand a lot of teaching skills, as 1 teacher was really excellent and 1 was not so. The good teacher for 2 hours, then the other one for 1 hour.
I had to do an hour of 2 with my Korean wife at nights, and she explained everything better to me.

Practice is the key, and many times I have had to pick the wife of the floor as a giggling wreck as I had a stab at a new word or sentence. Very Happy

One of the problems with Korean's speaking English is they don't want to loose face and get embarrassed while practicing.
earthbound14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sogang University is the best.

the books are fantastic and the easiest to learn from
tracywood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Korean Language Classes Reply with quote

If you are looking for a university program in the area of Gangnam, Seoul National University just teamed up with the district of Gangnam to offer evening classes locally in Samsung-dong (just down the road from Apgujeong and COEX). Check out the Korean program listed on the website: www.gnucr.org.
brilliantjoy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Hakwongs in Gangnam? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning to be in Korea for a short duration this summer from mid June- end of July. Because of my limited schedule, I think university programs are out for me. I'd like to take classes 3x /week in the mornings. Could anyone recommend a good hakwong or a language program in the Ganganm area? So far, I've checked into Seoul Korean Language Academy. They seem pretty organized but I'm wondering if there are any other places out there. Thanks for your help!
boatdrinks

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: website Reply with quote

this site is great for beginners and intermediate learners... i don't think the advanced stuff is working....

http://korean.sogang.ac.kr
earthbound14

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simone wrote:
Anyone studied at SookDae? (Sookmyung Women's University)?

Seen posters for it, their classes start Oct. 31 - I was too late to join Sogang's program.

Basically - is it real Korean, or overly formal and outdated vocabulary that you'll never need?

I took a class near Kwangwhamun last year, and the first class was teaching us vocabulary like inkwell, calligraphy brush, Kimchi pot, mill, those bamboo things that people wear over their shoulders.... total waste of time. Oh yes, and they scowled at us whenever we used -yo. I appeased them by completing the practice in -imnida and then quickly reviewing it in less formal language... with a pleading look of "please listen to this to..."

I went to maybe four classes. Frustrating.

So yeah, how's Sookdae? Any info appreciated.

Sookdae is pretty good. I studied there for 2 levels (out of 6). Some of it was actually useless. We had to learn all the different terms for cutting, chopping, slicing in the second book....I really didn't need to learn that, I will eventually, but at the time I was still trying to say "I cut my finger yesterday".

Sookdae is cheaper and the instructors are really nice. The first level is really good and will get you going, but I found the second level was a little useless and I had real trouble keeping up with all the Chinese and Japanese students who only came here to study Korean and studied 3-4 hours a day. I went from being the top student in the first class (that was mostly English students) to being the dunce in the second. The text books are not that well organized or explained, so you will have to do a little more work on your own to make up for it and prepare for class. It is cheaper, it fit my schedule at the time, and it was worth while.

I have since gone to the Sogang text books. They are amazing, they have explanations in English so you can do self study with minimal assistance. They also have some on line work you can do. I have friends who have taken the Sogang program for 5 levels (the day program) and they speak really well (I struggle to understand them). I intend to try and finish the Sogang series.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Be a dork like me and take your books to the bar. That will peak the interest of the bartenders. They will not be able to stop themselves from trying to help you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: