Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to Study Korean - where's the best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasmmi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not take courses at Korea University. They are god forsakingly awful in every way imaginable. They truly truly are.
jkelly80

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the Declan reading and writing. When it comes time to put together your own words, the function is no good. For example, when I try to write "(t)sang" (table), I enter the three symbols and they don't form a word. Just three symbols next to each other. I can still verify I'm right, but the software needs some work.
peppero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Seoul-Korean Language Academy mentioned earlier is pretty good. I'm taking a level 1 course there now. Nice people too. Smile
Atavistic

Location: How totally stupid that Korean doesn't show in this area.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkelly80 wrote:
Avoid the Declan reading and writing. When it comes time to put together your own words, the function is no good. For example, when I try to write "(t)sang" (table), I enter the three symbols and they don't form a word. Just three symbols next to each other. I can still verify I'm right, but the software needs some work.

Does it come out like 사ㅇ? If so, just hit the space bar.

I think Declan's software is really good for vocabulary development, but I like the flash card system.
miyoko004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone studied at/know about Soonchunhyang in Asan-shi, and their korean program?
They have this great scholorship that pays ejust about verything for you. Price wise, it seemed like a much better (and probably the only) option for me. Though i'm not to sure how the KL program is (which is what i want to focus on)...
crusher_of_heads

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miyoko004 wrote:
Has anyone studied at/know about Soonchunhyang in Asan-shi, and their korean program?
They have this great scholorship that pays ejust about verything for you. Price wise, it seemed like a much better (and probably the only) option for me. Though i'm not to sure how the KL program is (which is what i want to focus on)...

no
Scotticus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done Yonsei's KLI? I live near there, so it would be my best bet for a language program.
Rumple

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Quote:
The best place to learn Korean is in a bar, hanging out with your Korean friends or flirting with the bartender.

Be a dork like me and take your books to the bar. That will peak the interest of the bartenders. They will not be able to stop themselves from trying to help you.

This worked great for me too. I just sat at the bar and studied, and they would come over, scan my book, and then practice with me when they had time. You get even more help if you go at a slow time, when they don't have many/any other customers to wait on.
Atavistic

Location: How totally stupid that Korean doesn't show in this area.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumple wrote:
JZer wrote:
Quote:
The best place to learn Korean is in a bar, hanging out with your Korean friends or flirting with the bartender.

Be a dork like me and take your books to the bar. That will peak the interest of the bartenders. They will not be able to stop themselves from trying to help you.

This worked great for me too. I just sat at the bar and studied, and they would come over, scan my book, and then practice with me when they had time. You get even more help if you go at a slow time, when they don't have many/any other customers to wait on.

I've found that people on the subway are super helpful, too. Most of the time I don't even need to ask. I just lean back, look a little confused, frown. Usually someone offers some help.

Younger kids help, too. Sunday I was making flashcards and a 4th grader helped me pronounce them. Her mother was highly entertained.
jkelly80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going tomorrow to sign up for classes at YBM off the Jongno sam ga stop. 3 classes/week, 2 hours/class, 115k/month. And only a one month commitment. I have no idea how good the program is, but the commitment is small as is the price.
rooster_2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotticus wrote:
Has anyone done Yonsei's KLI? I live near there, so it would be my best bet for a language program.
Yes. I am in Level 6 of Yonsei's A Course (the fast one, so Level 6 is the last level). I think it's better than Sogang. I attended Sogang for five days and the teacher was so awful (not letting us look up words in the dictionary, getting mad whenever I asked a question, etc) that I quit the program and got a 90% refund. I went back to Yonsei.

Yonsei will probably not make you interpreter or translator fluent, BUT everyone who makes it to say, Level 3 definitely speaks Korean. Yonsei is extremely rigorous. It is widely reputed to be the toughest program. You start reading newspaper articles in Level 6 and can work your way through most 시티 신문 articles by Level 5 or Level 6. The program doesn't stress listening comprehension enough in my opinion, though.

I would be happy to give you more information if you PM me. I've been studying at Yonsei KLI since June 25, 2006, and I'm still studying there, so needless to say, I'm an authority on it!
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rooster_2006 wrote:
BUT everyone who makes it to say, Level 3 definitely speaks Korean.

my ass
SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
rooster_2006 wrote:

my ass

Your ass made it to level three? BTW what were you doing up at 5am?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperHero wrote:
the_beaver wrote:
rooster_2006 wrote:

my ass

My ass made it to level 5 (or rather, almost to the end of level 5).

Well, sadly, at 5 am I was posting on Dave's.
rooster_2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
SuperHero wrote:
the_beaver wrote:
rooster_2006 wrote:

my ass

My ass made it to level 5 (or rather, almost to the end of level 5).

Well, sadly, at 5 am I was posting on Dave's.
Was that A Course or B Course? I'm surprised you made it through the testing if you couldn't speak at least SOME level of Korean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: