Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to Study Korean - where's the best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rooster_2006 wrote:
Was that A Course or B Course? I'm surprised you made it through the testing if you couldn't speak at least SOME level of Korean.

A course. When I started at Yonsei there was no B.

Don't get me wrong. Yonsei is good for some types of learners, but they're a minority (logical/mathematical learners who learn through grammar, for example). Sogang is the best for the greatest number of learners, but as you yourself show, different strokes for different folks.
sunhelen

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked about studying at Soon Chun Hyang University in Asan. I am studying there currently and I would not recommend it. However, there are not many options in the area. I also attend free classes at the local migrant workers center. Those are excellent, but they only meet once a week.

Are there any good Korean classes in the Daejeon/Chungnam area?
Johnwayne

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the Sogang individual (i.e. 1 on 1) classes? For example cost, how it compares to the normal classes, etc.? I saw that option on their website, but it has realtively little information about it on there.

(The normal classes Sogang offers (e.g. morning and evening) don't work well with my schedule, so that is why I am exploring the individual option. Plus I already studied Korean some at my university back home, so I have the foundational stuff.)

Last edited by Johnwayne on Mon May 19, 2008 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study at Ganada Language school near Hong-Dae Station. It is nice and near my apartment. I choose it because they study only 12 hours a week (4 days x 3 hours), and the university schedule (5 days x 4 hours) seems like too much stress. Also, you can study month by month, not a 10 week schedule.
But now I am having second thoughts. I think maybe Ganada took a 10 week course and made it 8 weeks by removing all review days. The book actually has review chapters but we totally skip them. Then Ganada made a 20 hour week 12 hours by cutting down on practice. This is just my feeling anyway. Maybe it is the same at other schools.
At Sogang, do they really spend one day a week on review only (like shown on their website). For that 4 hours a day at Sogang, are there really 2 hours practice? If it really is more review and practice at Sogang, I might switch to there. If that extra time (20 hrs instead of 12hrs a week) is spent plowing through the book to get the the next chapter, I'll just stay at Ganada.
Thanks, Drew
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:
At Sogang, do they really spend one day a week on review only (like shown on their website). For that 4 hours a day at Sogang, are there really 2 hours practice? If it really is more review and practice at Sogang, I might switch to there. If that extra time (20 hrs instead of 12hrs a week) is spent plowing through the book to get the the next chapter, I'll just stay at Ganada.
Thanks, Drew

Yes to all of your questions.
Mirabilis85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Korean classes Reply with quote

Anyone have input on classes OTHER than those at sogang and yonsei. Uni's like Hanyang or Konkuk that are much closer to me?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean classes Reply with quote

Mirabilis85 wrote:
Anyone have input on classes OTHER than those at sogang and yonsei. Uni's like Hanyang or Konkuk that are much closer to me?

Hanyang has a bad rep (I have a few friends who studied there). It seems, however, that it's really just a crap shoot depending on which teacher you get. Some teachers come to class late. Some talk to much. Some spend all the time on grammar... I've had a couple of friends who liked the program for all of that, and I've had a larger number of friends quit (actually, two of them walked out of class to never return).

I did have 1 on 1 lessons with one of the instructors from Hanyang and she was pretty good.
Mirabilis85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Id assume the smaller, more recently established programs wouldnt be as good. How about Korea U.? I really want to devote the time and energy to studying Korean, so I may just make the trek to Sogang every morning.
Mirabilis85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpp...

info anyone?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirabilis85 wrote:
bumpp...

info anyone?

Sogang's still good, but I don't know much about Korea University's program.
Toon Army

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied a couple levels at Sogang and found it very good. A lot of ex-Yonsei language students quit Yonsei (too grammar orientated) and head to Sogang and that says it all if you`re comparing the 2.

Would be interested to know about Korea Univ course too. Ganada in Hongdae seems interesting and cheap and I might consider there in future if I here more about them....
Mirabilis85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would head to Sogang if it werent for that 45 minute subway ride from the east side of Seoul everyday...

I think I may end up at Konkuk U. because its right next door, and because I can tolerate many different teaching styles I feel like Ill get something out of the course...Ill give a review in March.
joekim1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Graduate-level or similar Korean/Korean culture institute? Reply with quote

Do you guys know of any institutions or universities where people can study high-level Korean and/or cross-cultural studies? Somewhere that can bring you to fluency in Korean while allowing you to study differences between Korea and other countries like America?

By the way, I've tried Yonsei University's Korean Language Program up to levels 3 and 4 and was quite unsatisfied with it Sad Compared textbooks with Sogang, and I think Sogang is definitely more practical (Yonsei is way too awkward and formal. Even my Korean friends were like "what the heck kind of textbook is this? no one talks like that" type thing.

Anyways, those with some knowledge in my area of interest, please help out ^^. I'd make another thread but for some reason I can't
sillylily

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have info on classes that are on weekends? I don't live in Seoul so can't attend anything on weekdays....thanks Smile
eunjeong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied at home through books for years and found that I can understand 80% of what people are saying. However I still find it hard to speak, but its getting easier with practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: