Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to Study Korean - where's the best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feckingreal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBM in Jongno ( and maybe Gangnam ) do two session on Saturdays. One from 10-1 and another from 2-5 . The cost is around 105,000 a month ( for 12 hours instruction)....

I took that class for a couple of months and would highly recommend it...You'll probably have to call into them to sign up for the class...go in around the last week of the month to sign up for the following month...
misher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would head to Sogang if it werent for that 45 minute subway ride from the east side of Seoul everyday...

I think I may end up at Konkuk U. because its right next door, and because I can tolerate many different teaching styles I feel like Ill get something out of the course...Ill give a review in March.

Mirabilis,

any word on Konkuk U? I am in your situation. I will be in east seoul and im leaning towards sogang because of the rep. I looked into konkuk but was unsure. any word? I'm not looking forward to the 45 min commute to seogang.

misher
tenchu77491

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is up with the book a, book b rotation at sogang? I want to join the next semester but the school told me they will begin book b for the next 2 semesters.

Is it still possible to jump in the class and survive?

I can read Korean and write Korean but I really have no grammar skills and very little vocab.
tenchu77491

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Yonsei program really that bad?
mishanguyen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in yangju and i found a centre in uijeongbu for foreign workers, they teach korean and computer lessons there... i think its free or like 1,000 won a class which is really cheap.. my school didn't know about this, i found it myself... i know that theres 1 in Ansan also. pm me if you want more info abt it.
sboix23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have any input of Korea university?
lionel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in Korea Uni. too. I checked out their homepage but it doesn't have real info.
sboix23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Justsurfin12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions of good resources to start learning Korean before heading over from the States?
Karea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also after some good websites (free) from which to learn some basic Korean before I go there.

Also I'm wondering if any schools might be able to subsidise/help out with/get a discount for some Korean classes whilst I am there. Or is that just a pipe dream?

Any help or advice appreciated.
fitzyvt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a decent free program from Seoul National Univeristy's website
http://language.snu.ac.kr/english/pages/SD00023_00.jsp
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hater Depot wrote:
The best place to study Korean is at home, with a decent textbook and some audiotapes and good dictionaries.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but, re:the quoted post, does anyone have any recommendations for decent textbooks/cds to learn Korean? I'd like to make a start at learning some before I come out next month. I tend to find it easier listening to audio cds to pick up languages rather than using websites. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but the search engine doesn't seem to be working.
molotovwars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Pimsleur was a really good set of audio CDs/MP3s. Each lesson is 30 minutes long (maybe there are 16 total) and focuses on a main conversation. Then it breaks down each word for pronunciation and explains the sentences and has you repeat and respond to questions. Each lesson builds on the previous one, and while I only did 6 of the lessons before I came to Korea I felt like they were very good. I was confident that I was learning. I would listen do each lesson twice before moving on to the next one. I think I've done lesson 6 maybe 4 times though just because so much time passes from when I go back to it.

Once I got to Korea its been too busy to do the tapes, but I'm going to pick them back up again soon.
rooster_2006

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molotovwars wrote:
I thought Pimsleur was a really good set of audio CDs/MP3s. Each lesson is 30 minutes long (maybe there are 16 total) and focuses on a main conversation. Then it breaks down each word for pronunciation and explains the sentences and has you repeat and respond to questions. Each lesson builds on the previous one, and while I only did 6 of the lessons before I came to Korea I felt like they were very good. I was confident that I was learning. I would listen do each lesson twice before moving on to the next one. I think I've done lesson 6 maybe 4 times though just because so much time passes from when I go back to it.

Once I got to Korea its been too busy to do the tapes, but I'm going to pick them back up again soon.
Pimsleur is awful.

I did the entire Pimsleur Program for Korean way back in the winter of 2006 while I was waiting for my REAL Korean level 2 course to start...

The main problem is that it just teaches far too few words. The lessons work well -- FOR TEACHING THE FIRST 200 WORDS. Unfortunately, a decent conversation in Korean is basically impossible without about 3,000 words (or 6,000+ for more advanced, abstract topics). Ask any reputable language teacher if you can have a conversation with 200 words.

If Pimsleur could create a program for Korean that had 300 lessons instead of 30, then maybe they'd be getting somewhere, but regardless of anyone's "core vocabulary" theories, Pimsleur will not make anyone even semi-functional in Korean.

Add to that that it's overpriced, doesn't teach writing, and that it teaches things like nouns with particles attached, and it's just a shoddy product that is way overrated.

And BTW, I graduated from Yonsei University Korean Language Institute. Which, unlike Pimsleur, actually taught me to speak Korean. And I got a KLPT Level 5 score, so I can go to university in Korea.

...no thanks to Pimsleur.
adventurrre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rooster_2006 wrote:
molotovwars wrote:

Pimsleur is awful.

I did the entire Pimsleur Program for Korean way back in the winter of 2006 while I was waiting for my REAL Korean level 2 course to start...

The main problem is that it just teaches far too few words. The lessons work well -- FOR TEACHING THE FIRST 200 WORDS. Unfortunately, a decent conversation in Korean is basically impossible without about 3,000 words (or 6,000+ for more advanced, abstract topics). Ask any reputable language teacher if you can have a conversation with 200 words.

If Pimsleur could create a program for Korean that had 300 lessons instead of 30, then maybe they'd be getting somewhere, but regardless of anyone's "core vocabulary" theories, Pimsleur will not make anyone even semi-functional in Korean.

Add to that that it's overpriced, doesn't teach writing, and that it teaches things like nouns with particles attached, and it's just a shoddy product that is way overrated.

And BTW, I graduated from Yonsei University Korean Language Institute. Which, unlike Pimsleur, actually taught me to speak Korean. And I got a KLPT Level 5 score, so I can go to university in Korea.

...no thanks to Pimsleur.

Rooster, how long did it take you to get that good at Korean? How long did you study there? Did you learn a lot outside the classroom as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: