Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.1 million won??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quercus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: 2.1 million won?? Reply with quote

how many of you consider 2.0 a decent salary? i have been offered 2.1 a lot, but some have horrible hours and the 2.2's i havent been finding. am i looking in the wrong place? is 2.1 the best for now trying to get a job from home, not korea?
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Other Considerations Besides Money Reply with quote

Of course, money is important(well for MOST of us,anyway).But the difference between 2.1 million won and 2,2 million won is only approximately $80 US a month.You might very well be advised to look at other factors,like housing.I would much rather have a decent,unshared flat and make 2.1 than make 2.2 mill and have to share some rat trap with some other "teachers" Laughing
Also,look at such factors as reliability(yes,I can hardly believe I am using "reliability" in the same sentence as "hakwon" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ......but working for 2.1 mil and actually getting paid is much better than "working" for 2.2 and winding up with.....nothing. Rolling Eyes
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

EPIK come this September will be paying 2,3 million for their level one positions for country locations.

A number of universities pay good overtime that makes their wages up but the hour spread can be a headacke.

Anything higher than 2.3 for standard hours requires lots of nice papers plus good appearance along with high teaching ability. The other thing is that the good jobs don't come up that often.

Apart from the above I think you have the answer.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently offered a job from a big language institute (one of the shirt and tie type places), they are opening a new branch in Haeundae. The salary is 2.5 million, housing provided, Im expected to teach 120 (40 min) classes a month and split shifts. They said it is guaranteed money, whether or not I actually end up teaching that many classes.

Should I be suspect? Is it a big gamble if they are just opening up July 1st? Does this sound too good to be true?

Any help would be appreciated...
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Well with EPIK the contract says 22 class hours a week with an hour spread of 9 till 5 of a day and will be paying 2.3 soon for top positions. Many schools and universities pay this for these type of hours.

So what it comes down to is what degrees and experiance do you have. If you only have a bachelors degree then it's a great offer. If you have a M.A. and experiance then it is a lot of teaching hours for the money. For instance my friend gets 1.7 at a Uni for 10 hours a week but with overtime gets an average of 3.0 with far less hours than 30 a week.

POSSCO pays 2.7 for 22 hours at their schools.

If your hours are one or two sets of block hours then it wouldn't be too bad depending on what your students are like.

Last edited by Anda on Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
raytownloc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a great offer or is it probably a bunch of bullsh*t?

I only have a bachelors, but this school wanted my SAT scores and references, which no other school ever asked for.

I dunno, I read some bad stuff about the school so I am a little concerned.

Its called Haeundae Pagoda
Saxiif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm either I'm lucky or my recruiter loves me because I'm a 100% newb with no qualifications and I've been offered two jobs with 2.3 million, single housing and no split shifts or long hours.

Well I guess there's the third option (I'm about to get reamed) Sad
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Pagoda has been around a long time so it is unlikely that they will go broke. They used to be reguarded as good to work for. As you can see they are expecting their teachers to be able to teach and act like teachers so I'd go with it as it will be a step in the right direction if you want to stay working in Korea.

For instance with only a Bachelors EPIK would give you 1.8 a month.

Last edited by Anda on Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
raytownloc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings exactly...

when is the other shoe going to drop?
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, Saxiif you need to find out the work locations and what industry is supporting the hogwan's students. The West plus Japan aren't likely to be importing a lot of stuff from Korea in the near future so hogwans are in for a rough time. Being near a govermental work area woud be good or the food industry.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Is Anda a recruiter for EPIK? Reply with quote

I am beginning to think Anda might be a recruiter for EPIK. Laughing True.....they are going to tell you that working for EPIK "is better than working for a hakwon". Of course, maybe slashing your wrists is preferable to working for a hakwon.....so....
Suggestion:Before you get all excited about EPIK, take a look at the Job Forum on Dave's under Korea.Also take a look at the (locked) thread "Screwball EPIK" on this very same board...... Rolling Eyes
richinkorea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raytownloc wrote:

when is the other shoe going to drop?

Shirt and tie, split shifts, 120 classes, teaching adults, ....things many of the kiddie hogwans don't require.

But, if that's OK with you then it sounds like a good deal !
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raytownloc wrote:
I was recently offered a job from a big language institute (one of the shirt and tie type places), they are opening a new branch in Haeundae. The salary is 2.5 million, housing provided, Im expected to teach 120 (40 min) classes a month and split shifts. They said it is guaranteed money, whether or not I actually end up teaching that many classes.

Should I be suspect? Is it a big gamble if they are just opening up July 1st? Does this sound too good to be true?

Any help would be appreciated...

Laughing

I haven't heard of anything "great" about the Haeundae Pagoda branch and if your coming to enjoy Korea, I'm positive you're not going to have alot of time doing this with split shifts unless you can survive on quick naps and only need 3 hours at night. Fact is, split shift absolutely SUCK. I would rather have a job offering me 2.0 with no split than 2.5 with split considering you can do privates and make over 3.0 at the end of the month.
Saxiif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Saxiif you need to find out the work locations and what industry is supporting the hogwan's students

I think its mostly tourism and ginseng. Not exactly the most stable industries Sad

Last edited by Saxiif on Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Anda Reply with quote

Then herbal root stuff will last pretty well but local tourism should start to go downhill pretty soon. Of recent local tourism has had a boast with SARS as Koreans haven't been going overseas much but with things now in the economy going bad tourism will be on the chopping block for many.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: