Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Every Korean Gets Wi-Fi. For Free.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chaz47



Joined: 11 Sep 2003

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Every Korean Gets Wi-Fi. For Free. Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/5889204/every-korean-gets-wi+fi-for-free

Is this for real? Can foreigners join as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Norn Iron



Joined: 06 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point? You can get on to wi-fi for free virtually anywhere nowadays....without having to watch a 15 second LG ad and do a lot of registering nonsense which will probably just get you a lot of phone spam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
transmogrifier



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Location: Seoul, South Korea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norn Iron wrote:
What's the point? You can get on to wi-fi for free virtually anywhere nowadays....without having to watch a 15 second LG ad and do a lot of registering nonsense which will probably just get you a lot of phone spam.


Jesus, Dave's attracts the most miserable people in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Norn Iron



Joined: 06 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
Norn Iron wrote:
What's the point? You can get on to wi-fi for free virtually anywhere nowadays....without having to watch a 15 second LG ad and do a lot of registering nonsense which will probably just get you a lot of phone spam.


Jesus, Dave's attracts the most miserable people in the world.


Confused Miserable or capable of discernment?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
augustine



Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Location: México

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psf... transmogrifier consistently gives dumb, jackass responses for little or no reason, and with minimal clarity; then tries to justify his limited assertions by giving, what is to me, the most annoying retort ever on here... the, "Dave's posters are miserable blah blah blahs". He's nothing more than a hypocrite, since all he usually does on here is complain about stuff, offering little to no insight. Let the thread move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
transmogrifier



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Location: Seoul, South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
Psf... transmogrifier consistently gives dumb, jackass responses for little or no reason, and with minimal clarity; then tries to justify his limited assertions by giving, what is to me, the most annoying retort ever on here... the, "Dave's posters are miserable blah blah blahs". He's nothing more than a hypocrite, since all he usually does on here is complain about stuff, offering little to no insight. Let the thread move on.


And another one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
transmogrifier



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Location: Seoul, South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norn Iron wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:
Norn Iron wrote:
What's the point? You can get on to wi-fi for free virtually anywhere nowadays....without having to watch a 15 second LG ad and do a lot of registering nonsense which will probably just get you a lot of phone spam.


Jesus, Dave's attracts the most miserable people in the world.


Confused Miserable or capable of discernment?


They aren't mutually exclusive. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeLaRed



Joined: 16 Oct 2008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Every Korean Gets Wi-Fi. For Free. Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:
http://kotaku.com/5889204/every-korean-gets-wi+fi-for-free

Is this for real? Can foreigners join as well?


This is old news.....but yes foreigners can get it if you're in the Lg U+ Zone area

Perhaps before you always had to watch a 15 second clip but not anymore (or very rarely). I've been using it for a couple of months now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alongway



Joined: 02 Jan 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically anywhere there is an LG zone there is KT's and SK's..
seems like a pretty big hassle for something that is free with your other carreir or cheap with something else.. get yourself an egg for like 15k/month and get wifi anywhere, bus, train, park, etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
berniebennybernard



Joined: 19 Dec 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in a cafe, you will have WiFi.

If you're in the subway, you will have WiFi on your phone. Need it for your laptop? Just tether.

Anywhere else that doesn't have WiFi? You can live with your cell phone data plan I'm sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chungbukdo



Joined: 22 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berniebennybernard wrote:
If you're in a cafe, you will have WiFi.

If you're in the subway, you will have WiFi on your phone. Need it for your laptop? Just tether.

Anywhere else that doesn't have WiFi? You can live with your cell phone data plan I'm sure.


How do I get wifi on the subway?

PS I don't have a phone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chungbukdo



Joined: 22 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Every Korean Gets Wi-Fi. For Free. Reply with quote

DeLaRed wrote:
chaz47 wrote:
http://kotaku.com/5889204/every-korean-gets-wi+fi-for-free

Is this for real? Can foreigners join as well?


This is old news.....but yes foreigners can get it if you're in the Lg U+ Zone area

Perhaps before you always had to watch a 15 second clip but not anymore (or very rarely). I've been using it for a couple of months now.

Do you have to manually log in each time?

I'm paying 8000w per month for Olleh WiFi Single and I like that anytime I pass a hotspot I'm automatically connected and receive KakaoTalk messages while my Nexus 7 is in my pocket. If I had to manually sign in each time it would be 100x more inconvenient for communication. If LG U+ connects automatically though then I'm gonna save 100,000 won per year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International