Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you deal with the "I hate Korea" days?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chonbuk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like going to a DVD room and watching another Asian movie, either Japanese or Chinese, it reminds me that this is a small country and that there is alot more to the world than the Korean way.

Take the baby to Seoul- KJ can get to be too much, and you probably haven't left town for a while, but get on the road. stay in a motel. If I stayed in Daejeon all the time I would have lost my mind a long time ago.
paulc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: How do you deal with the "I hate Korea" days? Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you deal with the "I hate Korea" days?

You could always book a plane ticket, and fly the hell out of there.....

Thats what I did yesterday! Twisted Evil

PaulC
makushi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardyandTiny wrote:
makushi wrote:
HardyandTiny wrote:
I murder a korean

Shocked Does that really work?

Depends on the victim. Last week I got a subway card with 14,000 left on it.

Yeah...that would pretty much make my day too Twisted Evil
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with the "I hate Korea" days? Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:
I'm hoping for something more, well, substantial, than the drinking suggestion.

Heh. That's the only one that was going through my head as the page was loading up after clicking on the topic. Laughing
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chonbuk wrote:
I like going to a DVD room and watching another Asian movie, either Japanese or Chinese, it reminds me that this is a small country and that there is alot more to the world than the Korean way.

Take the baby to Seoul- KJ can get to be too much, and you probably haven't left town for a while, but get on the road. stay in a motel. If I stayed in Daejeon all the time I would have lost my mind a long time ago.

I've had plenty of hate days but I've come to realize that Korea isn't to blame, it's just my employer I hate.

Laughing

PS: The wine glasses are brilliant!
caw0059

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea pehri pyootipul!

Last edited by caw0059 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
garygoodbloke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having one of these days right now. I don't know what the solution is. Perhaps all of us here in Korea are really bitter, drifting Westerners without the spine and guts of our previous generations. I doubt this is the whole story. Surely, there must be a reason why there is so much frustration, anger, disappointment and negative emotions on this board. It cannot be that we are all rotten apples, can it?

I've been to 50 countries, and I have enjoyed this one the least. I leave in two weeks, and I doubt I will regret it if I never come back. How can it be that such a nation as this can give so little happiness to so few? I have found that of the people I have met, there are some things I feel.

Some people are just not friendly, especially ajummas.

If they are friendly they are not usually genuine.

If they are friendly and genuine they are not usually interesting.

If they are friendly, genuine and interesting, they are not usually Korean.

I wish I could leave here claiming that I enjoyed it. I didn't. And whoevers fault that is, it's a tragedy all the same.
nobbyken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generaly, life always get busier. The better you are at a job, the more people rely on you and ask more of you.

Hurdles in life are just obstacles to overcome.
The more you overcome, the easier it is to overcome them and they end up not even being considered worthy to be called obstacles. It's just life.
We all have stuggles, even the people who look as if they don't.

Whatever country, whatever job, many obstacles. Just the faces, type and the frequency that change. They help you grow and mature.

edit
ilainiksan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have altogether too many of those "unmentionable" days. What I have started doing, and now encourage my GFs to do is; stare back at all the women in their 20s who stare at me, say hello in Korean to all the teenage boys before they get the chance to say hello in English. Always take headphones to the supermarket, pretend you don�t speak English when creepy old men ask if you are Russia.

Ps LOL at stopping in the crosswalk. Good one.
joshuahirtle27

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk around and read all of the English shirts you can find. Laugh at or contemplate how stupid the wearer may be for wearing a t-shirt that makes no sense in English.

If you know any part of another language then speak it to whatever Korean kid passes you and says hello. They need to be taught that not all foreigners speak English.

You could tell your students that you will poke them in the head if they are bad. It's a great way to relieve stress and the other kids will laugh at the pokee.
ds_fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuahirtle27 wrote:
Walk around and read all of the English shirts you can find. Laugh at or contemplate how stupid the wearer may be for wearing a t-shirt that makes no sense in English.

If you know any part of another language then speak it to whatever Korean kid passes you and says hello. They need to be taught that not all foreigners speak English.

You could tell your students that you will poke them in the head if they are bad. It's a great way to relieve stress and the other kids will laugh at the pokee.

lol

People may call me the next adulf hitler, but i seriously belive that my country is beer than korea, and that the people who live there are smarter and more genuine people.

im here to see korea, and will do one when the time is right,

i work in kindy- and i hate children, i mean hate them. i have all korean co workers, and my hagwon basically sucks, so hate korea days are a regular thing, especially on weds or thursdays, as i havnt spoken to an english speaker all week and the weekend is not in sight.

My advice would be to go to the gym at night, ignore the *beep* koreans there btw, so many gimps follow me round and try to talk shite. stick the ipod on full blast and train hard.

drinking amoung other whites at weekends is good as they are all in the same boat.

Also remember, you had the balls to come here to see a new country, any korean who pisses you off wouldnt have the balls to come to your country for a year, and if they did, lol, they would have one hell of a rough time, though their own stupidity and lack of understanding of other countries and would prob end up on a plane home.
joshuahirtle27

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ds_fan"]
joshuahirtle27 wrote:

lol

People may call me the next adulf hitler, but i seriously belive that my country is beer than korea, and that the people who live there are smarter and more genuine people.

im here to see korea, and will do one when the time is right,

i work in kindy- and i hate children, i mean hate them. i have all korean co workers, and my hagwon basically sucks, so hate korea days are a regular thing, especially on weds or thursdays, as i havnt spoken to an english speaker all week and the weekend is not in sight.

My advice would be to go to the gym at night, ignore the *beep* koreans there btw, so many gimps follow me round and try to talk shite. stick the ipod on full blast and train hard.

drinking amoung other whites at weekends is good as they are all in the same boat.

Also remember, you had the balls to come here to see a new country, any korean who pisses you off wouldnt have the balls to come to your country for a year, and if they did, lol, they would have one hell of a rough time, though their own stupidity and lack of understanding of other countries and would prob end up on a plane home.

I don't know about all of what you said. I know some pretty cool Korean people and I have met a few more here. Where are you from anyway. Since most people sick to their own kind anyway it'd be likely that, if they went to Canada, they would go to BC, or Ontario where there are a lot more Korean and Asian people.

A lot of people from NA and Europe end up on a plane back home too... long before their contract is up. Or they quit their jobs to find something better. I also work with Kindergarten Kids. It's not my specialty or my cup of tea but they are my kids and it's my job to mould their minds in the classroom. I think you'll find you have more freedom than you think when it comes to your teaching style as long as you implement the curriculim.

The gym sounds like fun... but I'm not the kind to weight train. I feel it a bit monotonis and I can always go for a walk or something oustide. AS for ignoring the Koreans... that's a bit impossible when you're surrounded by them. I would rather just try to experience something different about the culture than that of my school... they are pretty much like a Korean version of Canada.

Where do you work? In a public school? There should be more than just the one NE teacher. I can see how it'd be stressful to hav nobody to talk to all day who spoke the same level of English. I'm spoiled I guess. But why would you become a teacher if you hate kids? Did you want to be a HS teacher?

Most of the Koreans who piss me off are 7 so they don't do much... but you're right they wouldn't have the balls to go to Canada (by themselves) and they would (well most of them) would have a really hard time there. Koreans aren't stupid. They are however, a bit sheltered when it comes to their knowledge of the world. Most of their English training comes from American textbooks which only mention 5 countries... none of which are Canada, New Zeland, Austrailia, (any country in South America), or (any country in greater Asia [excluding South Korea], Asia Minor, or Africa).

While getting plastered with other foreigners (especially other teachers cause the stories are always funnier)is fun... I don't see the point of being hungover because I have a "I hate Korea" day. I'd rather immerse myself in English culture. Maybe speak only English and don't worry about someone getting offended... I mean what is the worst they will do, understand you?
ds_fan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah i am the only english speaker, so damn it gets frustrating, obviously im generalising nd have met some sound koreans, though i havnt met any who know about my country and most if not all confuse me with other nationalities.

the scholl im in dont run things perfectly to say the least.

as for getting hammered, to be fair you dont have to, go along and have one or 2 drinks, though most people there are drunk, some are sober and i havnt met any who would have a problem with you not getting wasted.

oh yeah, download some seriously addictive tv shows and start watching them, they help take the pain away, i reccommend prison break or lost
ds_fan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, kindy was all i could get and the clock was ticking, iv taught before, but that was teenagers, they were fine, i like the fun of talking to them, most are bastards but so was i aged 16, teenagers are the most interesting age group, granted kindy ones are cute, but after a while you get bored of repeating hello to some blank faced silent 3 year old who stinks of piss with snot on his face
joshuahirtle27

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds_fan wrote:
ah, kindy was all i could get and the clock was ticking, iv taught before, but that was teenagers, they were fine, i like the fun of talking to them, most are bastards but so was i aged 16, teenagers are the most interesting age group, granted kindy ones are cute, but after a while you get bored of repeating hello to some blank faced silent 3 year old who stinks of piss with snot on his face

Ha... my Kindergarten kids are actually good. They have been in English school for 3 years... one of them can do multiplication of double digit numbers. It's actually my 11-12 year olds that are the worst. Although I've begun letting them have 10/ class of Nintendo DS (if they are good) so that seems to have helped. Plus we've abolished the sticker system and instituted a "dollant" system. Basically each student can get some "money" for good behavior and that can buy real items. We had to create it because the inflation rate on stickers was climbing drastically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: