Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wonju

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Wonju Reply with quote

I may be coming to Wonju to teach - does anyone know anything about it, or teach there?
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonju is a smallish city of 250000. There isn't a lot of industry, so the air quality is actually not bad. It's surrounded by mountains and countryside, so if you need to get away from the noise and car exhaust a short bike or bus ride will accomplish much.

If you know where to look, you can find a limited supply of English books and western food.

Depending on what you want to do, there is enough to keep you occupied.

Seoul is only a 1 1/2 - 2 hour train ride away

However:

There are not many art galleries or cultural exhibits
There are only 2 libraries (that I've found)
The night life can get quite boring quickly
It's a small city, so everyone will know about you quickly enough.

Been here three years. Good place to raise a kid. I like it, but when I was single I ran away to Seoul at least once a month.

PM me with questions.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steroidmaximus pretty much summed up wonju perfectly.

I taught there for a year. Overall I liked living there. The air was pretty clean, nature was close-by and it was very easy to get to seoul (less than 90 minutes on the bus if you take it at the right time).

And yeah, if you're into a city with a good night-life, Wonju might not be your cup of tea. There are (or were, its been a year or so since i was there) 2 bars where foreigners tend to go. Beyond that, there are plenty of cafes and soju bars you'll find everywhere else in Korea.

Where exactly are you thinking of teaching anyway?
Kitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: responses to Wonju Reply with quote

Thanks for replies - I'm not sure how to reply to individuals so I'm using this again!
I am going to be teaching at ECC Language Institute from Mid July.
I hope its all going to be fun!!!!!!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, ECC, my former place of employment.

The good:

1) your apt is close to work.
2) You have a pretty easy curriculum. once you get a handle on it, prep time is very easy.

The bad:

1) Have to share the apt. i think you're rooming with some Aussie chick (if she hasn't bailed out since she started) so that might not be a bad thing, but I had to live with a rather ummm unkept person.

2) The boss is kind of a beetch. She pays on time and whatnot, but she has pointless, dull meetings. she also talked trash about me once I left and is as big a gossip as there is in the world. Thing is she isn't a gossip to foreigners, just her korean workers and everyone else she knows.

3) the kindergarten program. It used to be ok: just teach them. But then a few months before I left she decided to throw in a PE program, game day, and have us teach a science class. The science class wasn't bad but the other two sucked. Maybe she scrapped one or more of them since, I don't know.

Overall, I had a good time in Wonju. The job was ok and was not a bad beginning. You don't have to wory about getting screwed over or anything like that. Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck with things in Wonju.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: