Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baby gift for a girl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: baby gift for a girl? Reply with quote

Just got an email from my best friend in the US. He just had his first child Fri, a girl Very Happy . Need to know what kind of traditional Korean baby gift I can get him? BTW wife is American.

thanks folks
Trinny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tiny, golden baby band that Koreans give to babies for 100-day anniversary or first birthday?
K-in-C

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Gift list Reply with quote

There are art schools in Seoul that do egg art. If I was there I could walk you to the one in Sinsa-dong but I'm not and I'm terrible at giving directions. Anyway, if you can get the location info from someone else, I would suggest getting her an egg angel. They are very delicate and handmade stuff is always nice.

Cheers,

Kate in Canada
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coin, a pencil, a crayon, and a toy.

On a baby's 100th birthday, these three items are lined up a ways apart and then the baby is set free to pick one.

If the baby choses the coin, she will be interested in money. Pencil means intelligence. Crayon denotes an artistic ability.

If she picks the toy....watch out!

High maintainance daughter....
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comes from a parent. When you have a baby, people give you ten tons of cr*p you will never use, cute little outfits, toys that are designed for a fifteen year old, etc. Want to really impress Mom and Dad?

Get online order them $100 worth of Huggies Gold. This is something they NEED NOW and will ease their frazzled, sleep deprived lives. This would be USEFUL.

Plan B is a gift certificate. Parents, logically, know what their kid needs much more than a non parent.

If you happen to be close by, give Mom and Dad the Greatest Gift. Send them to a hotel for the night and take care of the baby for them for about 12 hours. This is what we REALLY wanted in that first three months of hell. I would have traded all the silly toys and hats for one night in a hotel and 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep!
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Canadian teacher on this. I always buy nappies/stretch 'n grows/bottles/changing tables etc. I ask the parents if they want anything in particular, but if not I give them something that I know they will use.

But then again I'm the boring practical type on these sort of things.

CLg
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: The Present Reply with quote

Rudy,

Ok, I already went through this....with family, and my idea was met with resistance, then again, EVERYTHING with my sister is met with resistance when it comes to me....

On my only nephew's birth I thought about what I could give....something that could last. I am really not in the mood to explain Sino-Korean (Han-ja), nor the basis for such characters, hopefully you may REALLY understand it, not the typical 'oh yeah, I've lived here for X years and understand' situation that I too frequently come along.

My (Korean) uncle is a Buddhist monk, so we did all the yaddy-ya for names, consulted my sister and brother-in-law (both 'Merikans) about their hopes for their child...ok, granted, who can put a cork on such a limit, but....

The naming of a child with a GOOD Sino-Korean name, in my cheeky view, would be a nice and personal gift (with all the Buddhist blessings ~ $300 and change) I also have nice artwork done in Itaewon or Songtan done, to accompany the naming...

I would rather explain details over the phone, as it's too detailed (ok, I am lazy) for the board....so PM if need be.

Another choice, there are artisans who take photos and make these really nice clay figures "identical" to that of the picture. If you can have your buddy email a nice photo of the family, you could print it our and have these people make this frame for you.....about 30,000 won. Need details, PM me.

Hope this helps.

Shoosh,

Ryst
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rudy is looking for typical or traditional Korean gift ideas. Something cool and Korean we can send for babies born back home. I have a bunch of babies to shop for.

Some ideas I have played with:
-Baby chopsticks and spoon in case. Does anyone know where to find a nice one, not a tacky set?
-For a boy, gochu tassel/ornament

Any other, "cool! Look what they sent from KOREA!" ideas for new babies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: