Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse Culture Shock: When You Go Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll develop selective deafness again quick enough. Or go nuts.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I'm going to get my ass kicked.
I've developed this bad habit, not of talking about people for no reason, but telling people off in English whenever they're being an ass.
Here and in Taiwan, someone is being a butt and I'll be like #@%$#^^%
you know you $#^$^^!!! Get off your $#^%#^ and @#%
I've actually done this a couple of times in Seoul without thinking about it-a lot more people speak English here.
Have you ever had those two-language arguements. Like one time this one lady was trying to blame me for all this spit on the ladies bathroom floor and she was like #@%% in hangul and I said $#^% in English.
Yup, that is really really where I have to watch myself because I basically don't fear people anyway Laughing
(You have to understand this habit was developed after living in no-wheresville Korea and in Taiwan where nooobody speaks any English.)
That's the only thing I'm worried about because man I was already bad enough at home about that before I came here. Otherwise, I still walk around with my shoes on cuz I'm a heathen.
Duncan McCocinue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will honestly miss how my member magically appears larger to the few girls who have witnessed its ginormosity here in Korea. My weapon of mass destruction will morph back to the insufficient size that it has always been to the girls back home. I'll just make sure to enjoy it while it lasts. I'll admit it, my dick is so small I piss on my own nuts.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been back for about four months now. Yeah, understanding everything is both a blessing and a curse. Not only that, I remember before I went to Korea, a Russian noted the general lack of taste in America (people who blast their car stereos so that the streets vibrate, blacks who have to yell at the top of their lungs to talk, etc). I disregarded his comments but now, I see what he meant.

It's funny how many complain about Korea yet they are never the same again no matter where they go back to.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: going home Reply with quote

i was born in australia but i lived many years in papua new guinea. my children were raised there. when i took holidays we used to travel in png, not australia. png was home.

in png we were a minority. in a country of about 3.5 million people, there are only a few thousand expatriates (expats). sometimes i would go for weeks seeing no other expats except my own family. i seldom spoke english at work.

then after a few years we visited australia - took the kids too. my youngest boy, matthew, looked around and said "there sure are a lot of expats in australia!"
Joseph Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Korean wife and I are going back to the US in a few weeks. How does the reverse culture shock affect you? It will be her first time to leave Korea, and I have been here almost 2 years.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:

Having my shoes stolen because i left them outside the front door

Zyz did it, I swear!

Shoosh,

Ryst
JackSarang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back for 4 months between my last contract. I didn't experience any reverse culture-shock. I was expecting it, but it never really came. The only thing I had to catch myself doing was when ordering fast food, to pronounce it burGER and not Buh-Guh.

I actually missed a few things from Korea and hit Koreatown a few times to pick up Bacchaus, Yakult and eat kalbi. Go figure.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryst Helmut wrote:
gang ah jee wrote:

Having my shoes stolen because i left them outside the front door

Zyz did it, I swear!

it's ok, i got them back.
Hyalucent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back this summer, on vacation. When I started opening up a bottle of beer with the bottle opener on my Swiss Army knife, my friend had to lean over and whisper, "Twist off...".

Sad
katydid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:
I went back for 4 months between my last contract. I didn't experience any reverse culture-shock. I was expecting it, but it never really came. The only thing I had to catch myself doing was when ordering fast food, to pronounce it burGER and not Buh-Guh.

My uncle when I was at home had a field day when I ordered a "cola" and not a coke. Hmmmmm.....At least I said "I'll have a cheeseburger and a cola," not "Cheejuhbuhguh hago cola juseyo." Confused
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kind of depends on where you go. After one stint in Korea and other places.. I moved to Manhattan New York City.. its like I never went back home again.. just another experience.

Second time I went back to the USA it was San Francisco which was like a new adventure again. Neither one was reverse culture shock.

It is weird when I visit family in Michigan though.. even coming from NY or Seoul or anywhere.. its just a rural town up there.. and that place is a shock. Moreso because my parents live in a huge house, have a big drive-way, have a basement and just alot of space all over the place.

Having 50 million TV shows to select from is a bit overwhelming as well.
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...Have to fight the urge to say 'juseyo' to shop assistants, miss yelling 'yogiyo!' to waiters, can't understand why it's so *quiet* on the streets and why there are so few people, find myself looking ultra-critically at girls thinking 'why do you dress like that when you're fat and ugly?' (meaning they have some flab and not up to model standard), find the air clean and trees and parks very beautiful, keep noticing all the asian people on the street wondering if they're Korean and wanting to go up and bother them, maybe say 'anyong' then giggle like an idiot schoolgirl.

Matt
Dalton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went home, Became incredibly bored. Came back. Not bored anymore.

While I was home I was impressed by all the greeness for a couple of months anyway until it wore off.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

Having 50 million TV shows to select from is a bit overwhelming as well.

When (in my one and only ride back in ages) I went to visit my old stomping ground, I found that (while at my folks' house) that I watched TV for some 30 hours straight.

ok, not straight, but I didn't accomplish bugger-all and flicked until my heart was sore...

Shoosh,

Ryst (may be back 'there' in a few months (after 5 years)....curious to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: