Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse Culture Shock: When You Go Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sat May 17, 2008 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
-no cheap shopping sprees/places to go

Thats the big thing I notice.. (not the shopping part).. but moreso nowhere to go.

I want to hit the bars or clubs but can't do it only to drive home drunk later. There just seems to be a total lack of social things to do.

Also its more of an effort to get out of the house and into a car to do something as simple as rent a video or get something from the store.

But having said that.. it isn't too bad.. because I love getting into a car again and just pumping up the music to volume 10 and relive my High School years for that brief moment of time. Thats probably tops for being back home.
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: reverse culture shock Reply with quote

i'm back in america now after living in seoul for 2 years and having a cushy uni job. what can i say ... neither place is perfect. i've been back for about a month and do miss some aspects of korea, but also enjoy some of the things here that i had to do without in asia. the main struggle for me now isn't dating or adjusting to the food, but finding a job/ apartment and getting a life again. the job market is still dodgy here. i'm in a rapid high school english certification program but it will still take a few more weeks to get started. in the meantime, i went to a temp staffing firm a couple of weeks ago and they can't seem to find anything (not even loading boxes in a warehouse or something). i guess that's indicative of the current job market : even the crap jobs are all being filled by unemployed people like myself. so if you're considering repatriating yourself, by all means do, but bring a plan and lots of cash. it might take some time before you find a good job. i'm fighting the unemployment war on three fronts: trying to get a job teaching in college, high school, phd program or returning abroad (japan, middle east or somewhere else). personally, i wouldn't mind staying in the states at this point, but i'm not going to sit in a cubical all day doing something i hate ... especially after getting spoiled teaching in a korean uni.
ciao ~
princess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really miss the PC bangs. I can use a computer as long as I want. Back in my small town in the states, I have to use apublic library's computer. They act like people are going to steal them, because you can only use one for one hour and then they scan your card for a second hour. Even if no one is waiting to use the computer, you must leave after the second hour. Talk about weird!!! I don't have my own computer so I have to deal with it I guess.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sat May 17, 2008 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
princess wrote:
I really miss the PC bangs. I can use a computer as long as I want. Back in my small town in the states, I have to use apublic library's computer. They act like people are going to steal them, because you can only use one for one hour and then they scan your card for a second hour. Even if no one is waiting to use the computer, you must leave after the second hour. Talk about weird!!! I don't have my own computer so I have to deal with it I guess.

dang...that's hardcore.
i work at a public library and u can use the computer all day if u want as long as no one's waiting.
lotta homeless ppl use it... Confused

Katydid, this post REALLY made me laugh
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Fitzgerald wrote:
My Korean wife and I are going back to the US in a few weeks. How does the reverse culture shock affect you? It will be her first time to leave Korea, and I have been here almost 2 years.

Going back to the US? Did your wife grow up in the US, because if she didn't, she may have it harder than you will. I know of couples who have broken up or endured a difficult transition period because the Korean spouse had such a hard time adjusting to the dull and slow pace of life in the US. No matter how many wonderful stories you tell about how great it is to live in the US, she will find it hard to adapt (if at all) to a place where her main tongue isn't spoken, where it's much harder to meet Koreans, where life is about going to work, going home, eat, sleep and then repeat all the time and the like.

It also depends where you go back - urban area or boondocks. Sure, the serenity of the countryside will charm you at first but then you'll be screaming for anything to happen. Period. Not to say all who bring back Korean spouses cannot adjust but not enough talk goes around about the process.

Good luck.
Joseph Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be living in a small town in Mississippi, for a while. I told her that and she is satisfied with it.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man known as The Man wrote:
little mixed girl wrote:
princess wrote:

dang...that's hardcore.
i work at a public library and u can use the computer all day if u want as long as no one's waiting.
lotta homeless ppl use it... Confused

Katydid, this post REALLY made me laugh

Glad you found it so amusing, TMKATM! Wink
adventureman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
....where life [in the United States] is about going to work, going home, eat, sleep and then repeat all the time and the like....

And this differs drastically from the lives of many Koreans HOW exactly??? (minus the heavy drinking, I suppose)
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are both looking forward to the reverse culture shock and slow pace of life--Korea is great for 20-somethings wanting to go clubbing at all hours (as I did back then) but after a certain point most people seem to want to slow down and smell the flowers.

Single 30-somethings on Dave's excepted of course. Wink
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And this differs drastically from the lives of many Koreans HOW exactly??? (minus the heavy drinking, I suppose)

Well, yeah ... the drinking, sure.

You make that sound like it's a small thing. It's not.

Quote:
Single 30-somethings on Dave's excepted of course.

Wahhh ... ! What about us single 40-somethings? Sad
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
Korea is great for 20-somethings wanting to go clubbing at all hours (as I did back then) but after a certain point most people seem to want to slow down and smell the flowers.

Single 30-somethings on Dave's excepted of course. Wink

Thats about right.. every Korean I've ever met in the U.S. complained that the bars had alot of old people in them.. and they weren't any fun. Of course there are spots of life in the main international cities.. but for the most part, its mainly true.

Nightlife in Korea is significantly more fun than back home.. for all parties involved.. definetely as a Westerner.. but the Koreans seem to be having alot of fun as well. Plus its extremely safe to go out at night and just about anywhere in the city (a plus for women going out in particular).
shawner88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
I've been back in the US since March 8, and well, I'm bored. I now believe that while the US is good for MAKING a living, Asia is better for actually LIVING. I find Americans rather uptight, anal about their private space and so on. And uh, rare is the stranger who buys dinner and drinks for you like they do in Korea.

Plus, dating in the US is harsh. It seems most of the good people are all taken, leaving only the issue-riddled, ten ton-weighing peeps left. UGH!

I'm with you 100% on this one.

I remember ariving in Detroit airport (to transfer to NY) and being shocked by how big everything is, especially people. Then I stopped by the McDs and almost laughed at the size of the food (double quarter pounder with cheese, super huge fries and a coke that takes two hands to drink). Then I saw the big screen TVs and Bush was on talking about the faith base initiative.

I ended up breaking my arm and stayed home for 5 months. I remember at one point I was so hard up for a little action I got online and tried to meet a girl. 90% of them were overweight. I met one girl only to find out she was a single mother of 2, on Prozac, and living off social security benefits. It seems like all American chicks over 21 come with a heap of baggage and mental problems.

By the way, I wrote this around that time:

How To Know You Lived Too Long in Korea Now That You're Back Home. . .

You didn't recognize your family at the airport.
You habitually bow your head to people.
You're favorite store is no longer Price Chopper. It's Mr. Kim's Happy Korean Market.
You pay $12 for Kimchi Chigae and $10 for a bottle of Soju.
You gasp in horror when people walk into your home wearing shoes.
You squat over your toilet for old time's sake.
You continually call your friends "babo".
You get depressed when little kids don't notice you now. In fact you get very depressed that no one notices you now.
You can't understand why the bars close at 2 AM, why you can't buy beer after 2 AM, why you always have to show ID, and why you can't walk from bar to bar carrying an open beer and...
You can drink 4 bottles of Soju. Your friends can't even drink 1. You hail yourself Soju Master of (Your Town).
You continually tell people, "Hurry! Hurry!"
Your friend asks you what you're fixing for dinner. You reply, "Oh, a little dwen jang chigae, kimchi, various side dishes and rice."
You miss the smell of bun dae gi.
You consider your friends to be other foreigners.
You have nightmares about kids screaming, "Hello! What's your name? What time is it? Do you like Kimchi?"
Supermarkets seem eerily quiet.
You constantly beep your horn in traffic.
You're contemplating opening your town's first O-daeng stand.
Your friends and family are concerned about your new smoking and drinking habits.
You casually offer 500$ to immigration officials to issue your Korean girlfriend a working visa.
You can't sleep at night becuase it's just too quiet.
You've called your mother Ajuma more than 3 times.
You're still buying kimchi, seaweed, spicy leaves, and shrimp chips on a weekly basis.
Your friends call the humane society because your dog's ears are pink and blue.
You talk about people near you forgetting they can understand you.
Your friends wonder why you have a roll of toilet paper on your kitchen table and you wonder why they're asking.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
I remember at one point I was so hard up for a little action I got online and tried to meet a girl. 90% of them were overweight. I met one girl only to find out she was a single mother of 2, on Prozac, and living off social security benefits. It seems like all American chicks over 21 come with a heap of baggage and mental problems.

SPOT ON CORRECT. I noticed exact same thing. Fortunetely I'd go for foreign students or recent immigrants and other women. Any desireable native woman was long gone attached and/or had zero interest. The majority available and looking online were pretty much exactly what you described above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: