Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse Culture Shock: When You Go Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA is a bad place and people should not go there.

some jackass learned the term "culture shock" in some two-bit college class and so now I have to see this crap.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardyandTiny wrote:
The USA is a bad place and people should not go there.

some jackass learned the term "culture shock" in some two-bit college class and so now I have to see this crap.

Excluding those who have been away from the US for a year or less, your reverse culture shock may be greater than you think. For me, not having health insurance was a shock since I've been sick after arriving in LA (not sure what it is, the dry air, pollution or abrupt weather changes). Another thing is the job issue - the US economy is growing again but WITHOUT jobs with the exception of certain fields like health care.

Over the long term, the standard of living in the US will decline further (the rich keep getting richer here) as more immigrants, esp. illegals, crowd the labor market and drive wages down, and as many jobs are exported abroad to places like India or China.

Maybe you won't get rich teaching English in Asia, but hey, at least you'll have fun doing it, eh?
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet.

I have some trouble when pouring drinks for others. I always wait for them to pick up the glass before pouring and they're looking at me strangely wondering why I just don't pour the damn drink...
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="YayaOver the long term, the standard of living in the US will decline further (the rich keep getting richer here) as more immigrants, esp. illegals, crowd the labor market and drive wages down, and as many jobs are exported abroad to places like India or China.

[/quote]

You could also replace the word US with "teaching in Korea" works just as well Very Happy
ratslash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the biggest culture shocks i have ever had are...

1. india
2. the first time i went home after a long trip away.
travellingwilly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by travellingwilly on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
"YayaOver the long term, the standard of living in the US will decline further (the rich keep getting richer here) as more immigrants, esp. illegals, crowd the labor market and drive wages down, and as many jobs are exported abroad to places like India or China.

You could also replace the word US with "teaching in Korea" works just as well Very Happy

Yes and no. Have you noticed just how much CEOs are paid compared to the lowest paid worker in their firms? The ratio is like 25-to-one in Japan and Korea and like 125-to-one or more in the US. And unlike the US, Korea DOES deport illegals and the like and does NOT give them all of these rights that the US gives like health care, bilingual education and the like.

Actually, a country in dire need of future labor is Japan considering the low birthrate in that country.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
"YayaOver the long term, the standard of living in the US will decline further (the rich keep getting richer here) as more immigrants, esp. illegals, crowd the labor market and drive wages down, and as many jobs are exported abroad to places like India or China.

And unlike the US, Korea DOES deport illegals and the like .

Try telling this to all those Mexicans and Latin Americans that have been caught by the Border Patrol. Try telling this to all those illegal workers who work for cents in some American sweatshop under the threat of deportation. It may take LONGER due to the court system in the U.S. but illegals do get deported, and it is still going on. Same in Korea. There are many illegals working here doing the 3D jobs and immigration turns a blind eye to it. The main reason that there are more illegals in America, is because it is seen as the land of opportunity . Not to mention the population is a lot bigger.
Jove

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent 3 weeks in the U.S. over Xmas...first time back in 1 1/2 years. The biggest shocks for me were the huge open spaces and lack of people (mid-sized western city). But the biggest shock of all was hearing all the conversations around me and actually understanding all of the stupid things people were talking about. I'm certain Koreans are having inane conversations all around me, but at least here I can tune them out (I really have to concentrate to even pick up the thread of their conversations).
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the States for two weeks a year....once in summer, once in winter. Things I have to "re-culturalize" myself for are:

Tailgating is NOT a good thing!

You CAN turn left without a green arrow!!!

You MUST NOT push someone's shopping cart out of the way in the supermarket!

You MUST NOT touch a child...even to move him/her out of the way.

You MUST NOT stand closer than 2 feet from the person ahead of you in line.

You MUST NOT yell "waiter" in a restaurant!

You MUST NOT walk two blocks to the 7-11 at night. It's not safe.

You MUST leave a tip in a restaurant.

You MUST pay sales tax!!!!!!!!
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
I've been to the Korean restaurant 4 times, and realized how much I stink after eating Kimchi and Bi Bim Bap.

its not so much the kimchi as it is the MSG in the kimchi...
desultude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jove
Spent 3 weeks in the U.S. over Xmas...first time back in 1 1/2 years. The biggest shocks for me were the huge open spaces and lack of people (mid-sized western city). But the biggest shock of all was hearing all the conversations around me and actually understanding all of the stupid things people were talking about. I'm certain Koreans are having inane conversations all around me, but at least here I can tune them out (I really have to concentrate to even pick up the thread of their conversations).

Its hard not to listen to people in the States, they (not all, but too many) talk so loudly, especially on their cell phones. I am just not interested in their domestic lives!

IF you are not one of those who assume that everyone around you not speaking English is speaking about you, then it is very relaxing to not understand the minutia of what is being said around you. Its like bad pop music- its really bad in English because you understand the schlocky lyrics, but if its in Spanish, its soooo romantic!
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Yaya wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:

And unlike the US, Korea DOES deport illegals and the like .

Try telling this to all those Mexicans and Latin Americans that have been caught by the Border Patrol. Try telling this to all those illegal workers who work for cents in some American sweatshop under the threat of deportation. It may take LONGER due to the court system in the U.S. but illegals do get deported, and it is still going on. Same in Korea. There are many illegals working here doing the 3D jobs and immigration turns a blind eye to it. The main reason that there are more illegals in America, is because it is seen as the land of opportunity . Not to mention the population is a lot bigger.

Well, 500,000 illegals make it through the US border every year, mostly from Mexico. And well, whose fault is it that they are illegal in the US and working for pennies? If the US accepted every person from another country with a sob story, it would far exceed China as the world's most populous nation.

Korea has illegals to be sure, but it's not as much of a problem as in the US, where you can get welfare, bilingual education and stuff. It's like the US is saying "you broke the law but we'll reward you with welfare, bilingual education and jobs."
hanisiyad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
... blacks who have to yell at the top of their lungs to talk, etc)..

are you f*ckin kidding me? did you actually write that on a public forum? are you a time traveling hick from the 1940s?
travellingwilly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
shawner88 wrote:
I remember at one point I was so hard up for a little action I got online and tried to meet a girl. 90% of them were overweight. I met one girl only to find out she was a single mother of 2, on Prozac, and living off social security benefits. It seems like all American chicks over 21 come with a heap of baggage and mental problems.

SPOT ON CORRECT. I noticed exact same thing. Fortunetely I'd go for foreign students or recent immigrants and other women. Any desireable native woman was long gone attached and/or had zero interest. The majority available and looking online were pretty much exactly what you described above.

Hahaha, this has really made me laugh. Tigger, you hardly seem like a great catch yourself. You too have resorted to going online to find a mate, just like the girls that yourself and Shawner were bitching about. I can bet that after trawling around Asia for years, that no girls back home would touch you with a 10 foot long barge pole, so you have to look for the foreign students and immigrants. Pathetic man!!
I do realise that this was an old post, but you can bet your last won that he is still preying on young asian girls somewhere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: