Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does a girl wear??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma,

I wear tight t-shirts (like v-necks with cap sleeves) when I am just chilling out in the summer. I also do wear tank tops on occassion. I wear cut-off jeans or fishermen's pants. If i was going downtown, I'd dress up more. Wearing casual clothes is really only acceptable when you are near your house, like running to the store for some soy milk or going to work out. When I go downtown, I generally wear high heels just like the Korean girls. With everything.
Ody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
....When I go downtown, I generally wear high heels just like the Korean girls. With everything.

same here.

though, since i've never been one for tight revealing clothes or heels, my version of Korean-style feminine dress is slightly more conservative. i also apply this "when in Rome..." approach to how i dress for work. in all, i usually have felt pretty good about my appearance.

that is, until last week. Crying or Very sad

here's the story, i walk into a class of older kids (that are mostly absent due to exams) and the two remaining students (teenage girls) are whispering, with those goofy smiles, pointing at my skirt. this happens to be my favorite springtime purchase so, i'm curious to know what is so amusing. they promptly inform me that the colors i am wearing are not appropriate for a woman my age (i am wearing a tailored, pale-ashen-mint green blouse and my beautiful skirt is an ashen-pinkish lavender). when questioned why, their response is that they (the colors) are too pretty. okay, i take the bait and ask, what colors a women "my age" should wear Question

the answer: gray Shocked
Aras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to Emma Clare for the oh-so-important packing question Very Happy I had been meaning to post something similar, so the thread was lots of help!
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, Ody, you should have told those girls that since in not too many years they are going to be ajumas walking around in orange and red flowered parachute pants paired with a hideous green blouse, they really shouldn't be commenting on YOUR fashion sense.

Alternatively, you could tell them you don't take fashion advice from a country that clearly thinks it's acceptable for girls over the age of 10 to wear Hello Kitty and Disney clothing.

And don't get me started on the wicked witch of the west shoes.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... Part of me is looking forward to being a classy laydee and dressing in a more 'elegant' way. (At 24 I'm a bit old for Disney too!) But high heels just to go into town??? Sheesh! I've been a student for 4 years now and I'm a jeans, sandals and tanktop kinda girl in the summer. I also rarely wear make-up, unless it's for the evening.

Apparently, by Korean standards, I'm a slob! Confused As far as I'm concerned, dressing smartly is for work, and dressing sexily is for nightclubs & dinnerdates.

I don't even own any high heels anymore. Well, only ones with a 5" heel that are my 'killer' heels for clubbing and frivolity in the evening, and I'm not wearing those in the daytime. I'd look like a prostitute! Shocked

Would a 3" heel be OK for daywear? Hee! hee! I have this idea that all Korean girls are strapped into these gigantic 4" platforms!

Ody: No-one should ever be made to wear grey. Grey is for dirty old buildings.
Trinny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be acceptable to wear western-style summer dresses in Korea?

Emma: make-up should be a part of your life in Korea. The only time you don't wear makeup is when you are in bed. Having said that, I went along a employee picnic/sleep-over thingy of my company, when I was in Korea. It was from Saturday to Sunday. There were 7 girls sharing the room with me (yes, it was crammed), and the first thing they did after getting up in the Sunday morning is to have a shower and put on a make-up. And mind you, we weren't going to church, we were planning to go hiking in that morning.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corporal...have you seen what women in there 20's, 30's and even 40's sometimes wear back home?
This "schoolgirl" look is not exclusive to asia even if it started there.
Also, what about the women that are a bit plump and insist on wearing body huging spandex and or cut off t-shirts?
Or the 40 year old women back home who dress like they were in high school to try and look.."young"...
Fashion has its disasters everywhere.
We could also talk about men's fashion but this is a what a girl wears thread....
I still say wear a tent or even a larger table cloth...cheap, efficient, all seasonal...
merrilee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Are you kidding me? Reply with quote

No way! Do all of you females actually wear make-up every day? That's insanity, and I'm afraid I won't be taking part. Likewise, do you really all wear heels into town and at work? That really wasn't part of my plan...
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
make-up should be a part of your life in Korea. The only time you don't wear makeup is when you are in bed.

I have to agree with Merrilee here. I am perfectly happy not hiding behind a mask! Yes, I have a very nice make-up collection and I do like to enhance my features for the evening, but nowadays I feel liberated not caring about what people think about how my face looks. Most guys I know tell me that I don't need it, and that my face doesn't look that different when I wear it anyway.

Do they go for the full caboodle there? Foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, lipstick , blusher etc.

Admittedly, I hardly ever see girls in England without their faces plastered in make up either.

To me, make-up is like having to wear a push up bra, high heels, or a corset. At the end of the day it isn't real, it isn't me, and why should I be pressured into pretending to be something I'm not? Confused It only makes you feel miserable when it all comes off, because you see the truth. You don't really look that 'perfect' in reality!

Anyway, politics aside! Will people make rude comments if I don't stick the slap on?
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merrilee and emma clare

I don't wear that much makeup, only if I'm going out on the town really. My advice is to do what makes you comfortable. Your apperance will be judged by people here just like back home, however here they will comment on it.

You will probably feel very conscious about your apperance for the first few months (I've been here five months and I'm still getting used to it), mostly because a) you look different from other people here b) you get stared at a lot and c) fellow teachers/people on the street/and your students will comment on your apperance, both positive and negative aspects of it. I get heaps of compliments about having blue eyes but just as many insults as because I have a lot of freckles on my arms I have 'dirty skin'.

I think the trick is to remember the compliments and forget the insults ie. one of the first things my six year olds said to me was 'teacher beautiful' but last week they told me 'teacher pig' (although that may have had more to do with me dropping ice cream down my front during a snack party then any weight issues Embarassed ). Just be yourself and don't get to upset by any insult on apperance that comes your way it just goes with the terrority here.

CLG
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Beckerson Reply with quote

Ody wrote:
Cedar wrote:
....When I go downtown, I generally wear high heels just like the Korean girls. With everything.

same here.

though, since i've never been one for tight revealing clothes or heels, my version of Korean-style feminine dress is slightly more conservative. i also apply this "when in Rome..." approach to how i dress for work. in all, i usually have felt pretty good about my appearance.

that is, until last week. Crying or Very sad

here's the story, i walk into a class of older kids (that are mostly absent due to exams) and the two remaining students (teenage girls) are whispering, with those goofy smiles, pointing at my skirt. this happens to be my favorite springtime purchase so, i'm curious to know what is so amusing.
the answer: gray Shocked

I didn't click on webpage links until William Beckerson started advertising his sight.

Thats some good work you've got.

Christopher
itchy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a girl wear?? Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete
Squeezy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Blonde Aussie female attire question Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'm in the process for packing to come to South Korea and seeing as I'm female, I have been reading through these forums!

I've been told that jeans will be fine, however I'm still bringing my work slacks. You can never go wrong with slacks!

My question is; Is the sleaveless blouse ok for work attire?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Squeezy
pauline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeezy: I don't wear sleevless blouses when I'm teaching; I might do on a non-teaching day. Maybe for a hogwon it's acceptable, but not in a college or uni job. It's depends on your job.

Emma: you don't have to wear heels. I might wear low heels for work, but never anywhere else. Your sandles are fine if your top and pants are smart. Many Korean women have feet that are as ugly as their shoes.

I never wear full make-up, just liner, mascara and shadow. Rarely any lipstick, and certainly never foundation. Maybe some idiots will whisper and giggle. Many Korean women (and men) are unbelievably vain.

Good luck with your packing. Don't forget to bring lots of good deodreant, sheets, underwear and bras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: