Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does a girl wear??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happygirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a towel too if you want one that will cover more than your shoulders Surprised

and tights for the winter if you wear them
ella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My rule of thumb is dress slightly more classy and show slightly less skin than you would back home.

A better rule of thumb is to dress more conservatively and show less skin than a married Korean woman your age. If you're not Korean you're going to be held up to harsher standards. Not fair, but true.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since knee-high or thigh-high socks seem to be the "in" thing this cold season, has anyone tried them? How's the quality?
Flash Ipanema

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting a wardrobe ready. I've never worked in an office environment before so I have no office-appropriate clothes. I've always had jobs with uniforms, even if it is just a standard polo shirt. The last 7 years I've basically lived in jeans, tank tops, and t-shirts with sneakers or flip flops.

I was thinking about just getting clothes in Korea so I have a better idea what to buy, but even though I'm short, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have trouble finding clothes to fit right. And even if I wanted to do some shopping there, I have to show up with something to wear in the beginning.

I've got several pairs of non-denim pants, but I have no idea what to wear on top. I've lived in Texas my whole life so I'm used to 100 degree days, but own few long sleeved shirts. The contract I'm looking at says "The Employee should present himself/herself to students as a professional. Casual attire, provided it is clean and neat, is acceptable. However, NO blue jeans, sneakers and T-shirts will be allowed (unless otherwise instructed)."

Any female help will be greatly appreciated!
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size are you?

Where will you be working? Or at least, who will you be teaching? Children, businessmen, housewives, university students?

When will you arrive in Korea?
Flash Ipanema

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'1", Size 10, 36C.

Right now I'm looking at teaching elementary, starting mid-February in Anyang.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately bring a bunch of bras. Not impossible, but difficult in that size. Other things you can get in Korea, just may take some hunting.

You can probably get along with chinos or similar skirts, a few dressier thing (like Sunday best) for dress-up days. I don't like how Korean women's pants are cut, but it might not be a problem for you.

If you bring a week's worth of outfits, you should be able to build on that in Korea. Think layers, even in February. I usually wear three shirts and tights and long underwear under my bottoms in winter.

Good luck!
This is me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bras: Anything C or above is hard to find in a lot of stores... but you just have to be willing to spend the $ and shop at a department store. It's not that bad at all.
Lizoid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely buy bras and knickers before you come if you are c or above.

As you know Koreans are conservative dressers but if you're going to be in a big city like Seoul you can dress a little more normally.

Some dress rules are illogical too. Like it's ok to wear a tiny short skirt but it's considered kind of slutty to show your shoulders or any hint of cleavage. Koreans wear singlet tops and spaghetti strap tops but they usually have bolero or cardigan things over the top.

Whatever size you are, whatever you decide to wear - you will be stared at.
Lizoid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oigirl has a good point about Korean pants - they're cut very square, very straight leg. So if you have hips they won't look good. Best to have at least a couple of good pairs before you get here. The same applies for jeans - even though they have Levis stores they don't have all the styles, just the ones that work best on asian frames.

On the plus side. You can get pants altered cheaply. There are tailors at reasonable prices.
Mazza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to move to Korea for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to determine whether I'll need to bring all of my clothes for the next year, or if I'll be able to buy any clothing there. Everything I've read so far has given me the impression that I'll need to bring it all with me.
I'm 5'10", and it's not always easy to find pants long enough in the US.
Am I going to be SOL in Korea, or does anyone have insider shopping tips for me? I'm a size 8/10 and wear size 10 shoes.
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my turn too!
I am 5'9'', size 9 1/2 shoes, 38D and size 10-12

I have been getting rid of a lot of clothes that no longer fit me or I no longer wear in order to justify buying some new stuff before i leave for korea. I have heard mixed stories from people over there. Some say that i should pack a lot of things and others say that i will be able to find things when i am there.

I hate shopping ESPECIALLY when i feel like nothing fits me right. I would rather just get it over and done with before i leave but i don't want to over pack.

OH and what is the hair dye situation? i have been dying my hair red (which is a really hard colour to transfer from). Am i going to have to bring a year supply of hair dye!?!?!?

I will be living in Ilsan.

cheers
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and make up....what is that like?
sargx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fit in you should wear a short skirt and high heels. Also, you will need to purchase a Louis Vutton bag, as I've seen 12 year olds to 80 year olds who all have the same one. Also, don't forget the prada phone for a low-low price of 1 million KRW.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizoid wrote:

Whatever size you are, whatever you decide to wear - you will be stared at.

Thank you, and that is honestly the best way to put it!

But anyways, as a forigener, you'll have some degree of freedom in your choice of threads... but ultimately, you'll still get stared at! Rolling Eyes

sargx wrote:
To fit in you should wear a short skirt and high heels. Also, you will need to purchase a Louis Vutton bag, as I've seen 12 year olds to 80 year olds who all have the same one.

OH-my-gawd, that is the truest thing ever, i find that a lot of the fashion is about being a clone here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: