Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Searching for teaching jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss CD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Questions about Searching for teaching jobs Reply with quote

Greetings. I am very new to all of this. I have been looking at the job postings. A great majority of them require that you send them your resume with picture BEFORE they give you ANY information. Sometimes they even want passport photos as well.

Call me crazy, but I am some what hesitant to give out all of my personal information BEFORE receiving any other information from them.

Am I wrong here or is this just how these online job lists work?

Let me know!

Carlie
lighthouse1971

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instincts say that you should insist on getting some information. If they're not willing to give it to you, then they're not being very honourable. Having said that, one does what one must. What possible harm can come from sending a resume to a foreign country? You don't have to accept the job, right?
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: why photos? Reply with quote

Schools want a photo to see how you look...simple as that. If you do not look 'English Speaker' enough you will have a hard time getting hired. Look too old? same.....

A resume seems pretty silly actually, since most schools I am in contact with only care that you look good...

Interview=
"Do you have a degree?" ...'yes' .....
"Great you are PERFECT for my school!"......
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you two are missing is that Miss CD is looking for specific information for each job beyond what is listed in the advertisement.

Example:

"We are hiring five teachers for our school! Apply today! 2.0 million a month!"

She wants to ask "What are the five jobs? What are the class sizes between the five openings? What class hours does each teacher worker? What ages are the students for each teacher opening? When does each opening begin?" She just doesn't understand the dynamic nature of employment in Korean acadamies because she's new.

So it's not details like wages and where that are being asked, but information for things that could easily change from week to week. Thus the replies of "send us your resume".
lighthouse1971

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point about the "dynamic" nature of the hagwans although I would rather call it chaotic.

I was on the right track, actually, with my original response. It's just that I work for a company that definitely looks at resumes and hires visible minorities and "ugly" AND "old" people so I was in a different frame of mind.

If the original poster wants those specific questions answered, perhaps she is going to have to shop around a lot. I think it's worth it, especially in the current market with heaps of jobs becoming available.

I work for YBM ELS and, although far from perfect, they don't hire based on appearance in my experience. I mean, my god....you should see our staff! Razz
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that whenever I had called to get more information I had gotten the same response--send your resume. Even newspaper ads can be vague. Often I was calling to save time, as in get enough information about the job to see if it was what I was looking for before going in for an interview. It is frustrating when you can't get straight answers over the phone. After going to an interview at a few of these places and finding out that the job wouldn't work out for me I felt like both my time and the interviewer's time were wasted. Now I usually pass on those jobs.

Additionally, I have had recruiters or hiring coordinators not listen when I told them what I was interested in doing and what I wasn't. For example, I would tell them I did not want to teach kids and then they would say come in for an interview only to find out at the interview the job was teaching kids.

So, to answer your question.....even with newspaper advertisements it is not uncommon for this to happen. If you are uncomfortable with sending your resume then don't send it. There are other jobs out there. If the institute is willing to take the time to give you additional information that speaks alot about that institute. Of course, don't rely totally on what the institute tells you before signing a contract. Like it has been said many times before make sure you check with teachers (more than one would be advisable) who currently work there to get a good idea about the working conditions. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: