Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anybody work for CDI?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_and_bree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Does anybody work for CDI? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody here works for CDI, or knows anybody who does? My fiance and I are thinking about coming back to Korea for another year now that we are better qualified and experienced, and CDI seems to be offering many jobs at the moment.

Also, is there a website that advertises university positions? I have found oodles for hagwon jobs, a few for business jobs, but can't seem to find any for university jobs.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Laughing
alabamaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=65510
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody work for CDI? Reply with quote

ben_and_bree wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody here works for CDI, or knows anybody who does? My fiance and I are thinking about coming back to Korea for another year now that we are better qualified and experienced, and CDI seems to be offering many jobs at the moment.

Also, is there a website that advertises university positions? I have found oodles for hagwon jobs, a few for business jobs, but can't seem to find any for university jobs.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Laughing

Wrong season for uni jobs... Ads appear mostly in Dec (with some in Nov and Jan) for the new term starting March. There are also a few get posted in May/June for Sept starts.

Also, typically, for a uni position as compared to a unigwan position, they prefer to hire from in-country rather than recruit from abroad.

If you want to know about CDI, simply do a search or scan back over the last few pages. There is LOTs there. It's mostly burnout city, but to each their own.

Bottom line, at CDI, when the dust settles, there iis usually NO more money in your pocket at the end of the year working for them than there is working as a trained monkey at any other hakwon.
ben_and_bree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to you both, that has given me great information. We were actually planning on December anyway, so that all sounds great. Do the ads tend to turn up here on Dave's?

Cheers,

Ben
riley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not necessarily directed at the OP, but what with all of the threads asking about CDI and considering CDI is very protective of their reputation (they have a six month time limit on discussing CDI from after your last day written into the contract) I wonder how many of the threads are started by CDI employees trying to trawl for any negative or positive press.
suadente

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody work for CDI? Reply with quote

[quote="ttompatz"]
ben_and_bree wrote:
Bottom line, at CDI, when the dust settles, there iis usually NO more money in your pocket at the end of the year working for them than there is working as a trained monkey at any other hakwon.

CDI teacher here, this is not always true. If you want to work 12 hours a week, then CDI is not for you. If you don't mind putting in the hours and the effort, you can make a lot more money.

Last month, I made what used to take me 4 months to make working at a hakwan.

I put in about 48 hours a week for that month, but...

Work hard, play hard.
Kimchieluver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MODS PLEASE MAKE A CDI STICKY
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody work for CDI? Reply with quote

suadente wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

CDI teacher here, this is not always true. If you want to work 12 hours a week, then CDI is not for you. If you don't mind putting in the hours and the effort, you can make a lot more money.

Last month, I made what used to take me 4 months to make working at a hakwan.

I put in about 48 hours a week for that month, but...

Work hard, play hard.

If you want to know about CDI, simply do a search or scan back over the last few pages. There is LOTs there. It's mostly burnout city, but to each their own.

quote in context please.... you forgot the, "It's mostly burnout city, but to each their own" part.

48 hours in front of the class with PROPER prep??? for a sustained year??? not a burnout??? perhaps amphetamines?

If anyone works a NORMAL schedule, CDI just plain sucks. No regular holidays, NOT paid for red days, weekend work... salaried employees don't get anything extra more than anyother hakwon teacher and hourly employees have to worry about housing on top of everything else.

Sorry, but at the end of the year you have been FiretrUCKED and still have nothing more than any other hakwon monkey.

Last edited by ttompatz on Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ben_and_bree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Good to hear something positive! Reply with quote

Howdy,

Thanks for that update. I was sure that there must be someone out there with something good to say!! hahaha

Can I ask a few questions?

1. What is your job? I have seen everything from direct teaching to paper writing.
2. Where do you work? I.e. city name etc.
3. What are your qualifications and experience?

I know it is a little mercenary, but my fiance and I are only contemplating going back again to make the money for a deposit on a house. (I can hear the abuse from other posters already! haha) So it is interesting that you have told me what you have.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Kimchieluver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with working for money. What ticks me off is when fellow waygooks complain constantly about Korea and have only tried kalbi and sumgypsal.
different

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CDI is very protective of their reputation (they have a six month time limit on discussing CDI from after your last day written into the contract)

What? How could a school have any control over you after the contract ends?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimchieluver wrote:
There is nothing wrong with working for money. What ticks me off is when fellow waygooks complain constantly about Korea and have only tried kalbi and sumgypsal.

And what pray tell is Kalbi or Samgyupsal? Wink

Are those the names of the rollercoaster and log flume ride at Seoul Land?

Laughing
Kimchieluver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalbi is the first dinner your director buys you when you come to korea. Sumgypsal is the dinner he buys you when he is about to tell you that you will be paid a little late this month.
wylies99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sumgypsal is the dinner he buys you when he is about to tell you that you will be paid a little late this month.

Instead of dinner, they should buy you some vaseline... Wink

Sorry- no one ever bought me dinner before telling me my pay would be late. They just didn't pay it.
suadente

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Good to hear something positive! Reply with quote

ben_and_bree wrote:

1. What is your job? I have seen everything from direct teaching to paper writing.
2. Where do you work? I.e. city name etc.
3. What are your qualifications and experience?

1. Teaching, but also hold a Head Instructor position.
2. I work in Seoul
3. I had limited teaching experience when I started, but had quite a bit of experience. I went to a school that is not that widely known.

Ttompatz, I'm sorry to hear that your experience working at CDI was different from mine. I will admit that last month was not normal--because of summer morning classes (optional). I usually make double here compared to what I made at my last place. I don't feel the need to work privates. I teach 33 hours per week, and prep for about 4 hours. It's still a lot less than a full time job back home, but yet the pay is similar.

I know that a lot of teachers, particularly uni teachers, work substantially less, and have approximately 11-1/2 months of vacation every year... Shocked ..., highly qualified instructors are making 10 mil per month, and those teaching privates are making $100/hour.

CDI is more work than a uni, but the pay is higher too (for experienced instructors), it's less pay than the Superstar teachers get, but it's less work too. It's a good combination for me, and quite a few others. To call it 'Burnout city' is a bit much, as I quite a few instructors who have been teaching at CDI for years and years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: