Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 questions about getting a job at a Korean university
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
1- Getting a University job from abroad is possible but not easy and unlikely. It is dowright near impossible if you do not have a MA and all the qualifications they require.

2- You NEED experience for the vast majority of University jobs, not having any likely means the rejection pile. The responses you may get will be from third tier institutions.

Bascially what was said in this thread remains true, if you want a University job you need to:

Be in Korea
Have the qualifications
Have some experience (in Korea is better)

You also should try to network a bit and make some contacts as referals are the prefered way to fill job vacancies for many Universities.

However, if you have the qualifications and experience, you CAN get a job at a uni from abroad. I did. though I think I was the exception rather than the rule, but, hey, you've really got nothing to lose!

I had an MATEFL with thesis (from a non-English speaking country)
6 years experience (in third world countries) 4 of which were at 2 non-Korean unis
couple dozen publications (but not in top journals)
attended multiple workshops and conference
given workshops at conference
a VERY professional looking CV Smile

I wasn't choosy. I applied to ALL unis that didn't require me to fill out an application or be in Korea, probably about 80 in total. Had 8 interviews and 5 job offers and am now happily working at one of the top unis here Smile
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturegirl is right, there are exceptions and you would need to take whatever was offered.
liz88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the teaching conditions better in the universities there rather than public/private schools?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liz88 wrote:
Are the teaching conditions better in the universities there rather than public/private schools?

It's really really hard to make a blanket statement like that. There are hundreds of unis and hundreds of PS. But, I'd say that usually yes. On the other hand, I've seend job adverts at unis that pay 1.8mil, so in that case, no.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liz88 wrote:

The pay per hour ratio is usually better at a University vs a Hakwon or PS position. That however does not mean that conditions are generally better.

There are drawbacks to the position as well, especially if you have no experience. Grading is a big issue for many (there can be heaps of it), Freshman English courses (the mandatory ones) can be quite hard to teach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: