Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Strictly Privates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Mody...indeed
But i would not call what he is doing here "brass". I figure he is either one big troll or likes to yank chains or he is just that simpleminded...who knows?
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to mention something about the hair comment: Anyone who has done research in this area knows that there are actually many differences between hair types, despite the hair color being similar. When a girl finds a long straight black hair on your pillow, she'll know if it's hers or not.

And oh yeah Pootie, what everyone else has mentioned is bang on. You need to give your head a shake.
SaraDevil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Dude Reply with quote

Dude,

You've been in Korea for like a week and a half. All you do is talk about girls and money. Man, if I was a parent I wouldn't want you teaching my kids anything. Teachers should have some sort of respect for the job.

Being a teacher is important to lots of kids, even Korean kids. Yes there are the kids that drive you crazy and make you want to kill, but there are also the students who need to have respectable and interesting role models. If your only in it for the money why be in it at all?

Really.
ratslash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said saradevil and everybody else.

you are in the wrong profession if you want to earn a lot of money. to be a good teacher, a successful teacher (and by successful i don't mean earning 7 million a month) you have to enjoy teaching. from what i have understood from your posts pootie, is that i feel that you are teaching in korea for all the wrong reasons. you are here to get laid and make as much money as you can. you are not here to teach, which is very bad for all your students. you are the kind of person that the learning english industry here can do without. you are the type of person who gives westerners who are here to seriously teach a bad name. and yes pootie, (as i hear your jaw hit the floor in surprise and shock) there ARE people here who are more interested in being a successful teacher than earning 7 million won a month and getting laid every weekend with the kind of woman that every gi in seoul has been through.

by the way, i don't feel anybody on this forum is uptight. we just don't want to have your love life thrust down out throats. we don't want to have your financial well being rammed up our butts. we can all talk to our friends back home about money and girls. but one thing that you seem to forget is that no-one on this forum are like your friends back home. infact, nobody on this forum can be called your friend even slightly.

i hope all the posts above this one have made you see some kind of light and some kind error in your ways. i hope this post also sheds some more light.

again, no insult intended.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmmm,

I'm pretty sure Pootie is a troll. By responding to his post, you allow him the satisfaction he craves.

Why not just ignore him if what he says upsets you ? ( I know this isn't always easy).

Peace,
Rich
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich,

You are wise beyond your years my man...
We should have left Pootie "The ex model that trolls" well alone... Laughing
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootie wrote:
The only person who could take offense is somone who has neither.

And in my experience people bragging about having heaps of money and chicks usually have neither.

As for the ethics of your plans what the other posters said.

CLG
Mankind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as for Pootie, I agree with most of you. He's kinda clueless, however I encourage him to do privates as he'll be caught in about a week and I can't wait to read those posts.
As for money in privates yes it is there. And no not all private teachers are scummy, don't care about their student jerks. For 20 hours a week I could pull in around 4-4.5 a month (If i did privates, which I'm not claiming to do). Thats a fair number. Not overly high or low and accounts for classes coming and going. Some people have been in Korea for 5-10 years, taught in Uni's have great educations and do teach privates. Why? The money is good. Are they bad teachers? No. Don't confuse backbackers with private teachers. Yes some are the same but not all. Some people who teach privates can teach circles around most of the teachers over here, and thats how they make a lot of money. Not just because it's private. Good private teachers get paid well, bad ones, not so well. Just like all things. You get what you pay for.

HAND Smile

p.s. Who would rather have for a boss, a hogwan owner or yourself? Thats a big reason people do privates.
sakamuras

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of the limited advantages of being a gyopo is that you can get an F-4 visa and LEGALLY teach privates. Finding students may pose some problems though, since they are all looking for the white man.
Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a saying: beware of the quiet guy. The guy who doesnt talk smack.The guy who doesnt inflate how tough he is. The guy who lets things slide. Because this is the guy you dont want to piss off and fight. The punk screaming at the top of his lungs about how many black belts he has or how many hockey fights he had is the guy who will turn and run like a coward when the crap hits the fan. In the same vain, we have moron frat boy here. Talking about how hes so buff, about how much money he has, bout how hes so popular with the ladies and about whatever else hes gonna boast about tomorrow. I bet Pootie is a skinny little nerd who NEVER got laid and needs to get on Daves ESL to build himself up. Sorry Pootie, you are too damn STUPID to ever try illegal work. Immigration would catch up with you really quick. Stick with the 3.2 a.k.a 1.9 (in reality) m won LEGAL job and try not to get canned for being too stupid to teach.
ratslash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the original poster can explain these words to the forum that have been taken from a certain original poster's website.....

"Aardog has decided to teach the meaning of P to a foreign land. "

now, i dunno if anyone else is confused with that sentence, but i know that i am.

again, poots, no insult intended.
paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know a guy that brings in 5 million won a month doing privates but he is the best teacher I know, and he has one of the most pleasing personalities I have ever encountered. You have to be a good teacher especially if you are doing privates because the market is so unstable. You survive on your instincts. There are no contracts in the private market. So Pootie, live and learn then maybe one day..... Razz

My friend also has a Korean girlfriend who he lives with, and together they have found a place where the key money is low (thanks to her) and the location ideal for his privates.

Having said that, he has to use a motorcycle to quickly get from lesson to lesson, and one day last year he was hit by some Korean running a red light. He was lucky and sustained only light injuries.

However, he works VERY long hours. He doesn't finish until 10 or 11 p.m., every day except Sunday. And he has been in Seoul for five years, building up contacts.

So you would probably need three things to rake in 7 mill on a regular basis: At least three years of time in Seoul; some form of transportation; and a very understanding Korean GF who doesn't mind you are not home most of the time. Maybe one day you could put down your own key money but Korean landlords love to screw westerners--that's why the school always foots the bill.

You also have to be lucky Cool
Austin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Learning... Reply with quote

Hopefully, everybody is still learning lessons in life as they go along, so why condem a person for trying?

We all have to learn on our own sometimes, while others might benefit from other people's wisdom. If your message speaks to the truth of a person's reality, you might have some success with your intent. However, if your message is derived from fear, hate, contempt, etc., it will hopefully roll off the other person's back. Either way, something can be learned from that experience.

If you are strong enough, focused, etc., you might be able to resist negativity from others. However, many of us that are still learning would rather avoid people that bring that kind of energy to a situation. I hope Pootie creates a positive environment for himself by associating with other people that define success the way he has for himself.

Why judge?

What is it that you are lacking within yourself?
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE TO SPEAK OUT!!!

Pootie emailed me telling me how he was bored of the 'Asian look' and wanted an attractive English girl to hang out with instead. He quite seriously asked me for bikini shots too.

He is utterly charmless. Claiming to be 'God's gift to women', always bragging about how good looking he is, and how much money he makes.

BTW, I have seen Pootie's website. It's more of the same sexist crap about how they're all going to treat him like a Demi-God, and how the Korean girls have TIGHT little bods. Evil or Very Mad

Arrow AND HERE'S THE BEST BIT! HE IS JUST AN AVERAGE LOOKING GUY! HE HAS BIG BICEPS AND OBVIOUSLY WORKS OUT, BUT I WOULDN'T SAY THAT HE WAS THE GORGEOUS 'GOLDENBOY' HE MAKES OUT TO BE. NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richinkorea wrote:
I'm pretty sure Pootie is a troll.

Ditto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: