Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Child abuse ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CurlyQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Child abuse ? Reply with quote

I have this kid at my Hagwon who has a number of bruises. When I asked him about them he told me he got them from playing, but there's just too many of them. He's not a good student and always looking for attention, seems angry a lot of the time. I don't know how to deal with it.
What's the deal in this country? I looked on the net and found very little information about S.K and child abuse, assuming that's what it is.
Your advice , opinions?
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the social welfare department where you live. They have a department that deals with cases like this. I know in Western countries the court can take a child away from it's family if the abuse is bad. Either that or assign a welfare officer to check up on the family. Be interested to hear what you do.
The Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Abuse Reply with quote

It is a problem here. If you report it, I suggest you also start thinking about looking for another job.I am not saying do not report it.I know what you are talking about.An amazing number of kids here "Run into doors",and"fall downstairs'.And the poster who stated there is a lot of bullying is absolutely correct.Disgraceful.Sometimes a pack of five or six cruel little bullies picking on one unpopular little kid.
But the bruises might be from other sources than bullying, of course.If you make some parents lose face(or even the hakwon owners) you better start looking for another job.You will be branded as a trouble maker.Very sad,but true.
And sometimes the "discipline" becomes outright sadism.
marsha marsha marsha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Twisted Reply with quote

A friend once had a student that was always pretty naughty. So he had his partner teacher call the kid's mom and tell her how bad the kid was. Next day, kid walks in bruised from head to toe.
Gotta be careful in Korea.
After that, he never once told a parent when a kid was horrible, he just dealt with it himself.
marcy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a student once with bruises all the way down his calves, bruises he obviously didn't get in one sitting. I said "what happened to your legs," and he replied, "my mom hit me with a stick." Really he didn't react to my question at all, it's just a normal part of life. If the kid is really trying to hide something, I'd guess it was about bullies too, who wants to rat on their 'friends?' I don't think there's a lot you can do unless the kid opens up.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the kid popular or unpopular with the others? I'm always pretty well tuned into the politics of my kiddies..he may be being bullied.
Talk to your fellow teachers and boss about it first. If they think it is a serious case, it is up to them to stick their necks out to do something.
If you do something like ring the social, be careful to tip them off anonymously. To do otherwise would be to endanger your whole position over here- be sure you know what you're doing, first.
I don't believe its a crime to discipline your own child, but maybe koreans can go too far. I was hit as a child..it never did me any harm,I always knew my parents loved me, and besides, I realise how terribly naughty I was at times..
Severe bullying is a different matter...and more serious, as I see it.But then, it is up to the school to act.
CurlyQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken to a Korean teacher about it today. This kid is well liked by other kids because he is a harmless sort of trouble maker, but obviously has some anger. I just don't trust the people at my hagwon to do anything about it based on other events. We'll see.
CurlyQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid told the Korean teacher that he plays ' rock, scissors ,paper " with his friend and then whoever wins gets to pinch and twist the others skin. Seem feesible?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! He's making it all up! Call the police NOW!

Seriously though- did you really need to ask? We did something similar when I was a kid, and have seen many many Korean kids do extensive variations on this theme.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: BS-jo Reply with quote

BS-jo: Did you need to ask if a poster needed to ask? What- is there a new rule to only posting posts only certain posters (a certain clique) like or don't like?

This person was asking a valid question- it is a posting board after all. It's not the first time I've seen a poster asking this question either. What about you? First time?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway- true enough the games get brutal and I've seen countless bruises from them. Also- even if there's bruises coming from home the law of the land rules:

Rule # ! for the foreigner: Keep quiet

I took a survey among my adult students that if they heard someone getting a beating (wife) next door what would they do- only one said they would call the police.

I hope you don't have a typewriter. Do you?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you need to ask if a poster needed to ask?

Yes, I did. How can you work with kids all day and be so clueless as to how they behave?

Quote:
What- is there a new rule to only posting posts only certain posters (a certain clique) like or don't like?

Not at all- anyone can post whatever they like, subject to moderation. I'm following my own rule, which has worked very well for me- I'll reply how/where/when I see fit thank you very much. Don't like it? Tough.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Yeeeawn Reply with quote

Yeeeeawn- why impatience breeds so easily and upon what foundation it be built- I know not. From what fountain-head does she flow so easily and without provocation- I know not.

While studying psych. I read a book once on "Rejection" and the premace was that persons who were rejected in a certain manner/fashion will deal out the same cards to others that they were dealt (not always/not determinism- just to a large degree) unknowingly. Perfectionism is a kind of rejection. From what I read of your post I gathered that you want the poster not to be so stupid- quickly.

The poster has only been on the board a short while- perhaps- just perhaps- the poster is new to a degree to classroom bruises.

Why not ask? Heck- there they are all purple, black, and blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: