Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is EPIK a better environment?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Schwa.... Reply with quote

I would've thought my reason would be obvious to you by now-we've battled over EPIK several times now. The point is that I have no fear of being forced to honour my pledge. Why? Well, despite the thousands of English native-speakers(qualified & unqualified) who look for teaching jobs in E. Asia every year, very few of them seek out EPIK jobs(what a contrast with JET!). The reason is clear: EPIK's reputation has become such that "young'uns" w/ a newly minted BA will choose a hakwan job in ROK before an EPIK one! What does that tell you about EPIK? In any case, my offer still stands. Hell, even Anda concedes as much....
adventureman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Just an interesting note Reply with quote

Just an interesting note- for your already growing library of information- I was speaking with Thai teachers and not long ago all government workers couldn't just fly in and out of Thailand at will. They had to go through an application process to fly out of Thailand. I suppose the assumption was that it would cripple the "service" they were involved in if people had liberty to fly in and out.

Also- I noticed that when I got my re-entry I had to state where it was I intended to go off the bat and when. It seems to be a controller.
Anda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, Adventureman all you do is take the required fee to your local immigration office once you are here and they will stamp in a multi-entry visa on the spot. EPIK doesn't stop it nor does immigration at this end.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Message to Mosley....(and Anda...and Adman,'Flakes,Schwa) Reply with quote

Mosley,you are the MAN! I bet if you showed up at orientation.....they might cancel it or something! Why don't you do that? Give the poor newbies a break! Maybe the "Mo-Mo Twins" should show up at the same time at orientation? Laughing I have thought about having a T-Shirt with the nom-de-post "Mody Ba" emblazoned on the back and walking in unannounced when they are all assembled in the dining room or at one of the "lectures" Laughing Laughing
Schwa...what is EPIK's intake quota?Is it 200 like they have advertised for months on their webpage or has it been "revised" to something like 100...or 70....or 40?

I will state right now that if 200 show up at orientation.....I will...I will....go to orientation and take a shower in one of their "showers". I doubt VERY seriously if there will be 200(or even 100,for that matter) at the orientation in August.For one thing, they cannot really handle those numbers with the facilities they have been using. Rolling Eyes
Anda,that post with all of the Buddhist proverbs or whatever they are...is that supposed to impress me or WHAT?That was,to tell the truth,just a little bit strange. Rolling Eyes

Adman,you have not even reached Korea yet,and you have already been introduced to some of the problems.However,I want to be positive(well,at least a little).Teaching here is much better(although less remunerative) than teaching in Saudi Arabia.And it IS better than teaching at a hakwon,at least usually.

"Flakes...what you say about the workload being less is very true...in some instances.Again,conditions may vary widely depending on your POE.I will state unequivocally that I am definitely not overworked.However,I am alwyas present when I am supposed to be present and I always teach the classes I am assigned,with no argument.Consequently,I expect them to pay me on time and follow their responsibilities as outlined in the contract,as I follow my responsibilities.It should be that simple,but sometimes they do not always follow their responsibilities. Nandi fof ina hawni no fewi!(They always have some "excuse") Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventureman,

Man, the visa thing is very small potatoes. Things seldom go exactly the way you'd like or hope here -- you can get yourself in a tizzy, or be flexible. Your call. But on the scale of things worth getting upset about, an extra trip to immigration isnt even on the chart.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Yeah,I Agree with Schwa on That One Reply with quote

An extra trip to immigration is not even on the chart,as Schwa says.And though there are sometimes petty annoyances with Korean immigration,GENERALLY they are realtively efficient.If you want to experience some immigration hassles...try some of the countries in eastern Europe. Rolling Eyes One in particular requires police checks and clearances from ever previous country where you have worked.Try that one on for size. Rolling Eyes Korean immigration is usually only a very minor annoyance,as he says.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they settled on 160. I think theres been quite a bit of direct hiring going on -- a couple guys have started in my province in the last couple months (lucky them, they get to give orientation a pass). Apparently a lot of the new recruits are signing on in-country -- good for the program if all the newbies arent wet behind the ears.
Anda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Public schools are supposed to be able to hire foreign English teachers directly sometime this year. The number given was 400 in total for all of S.K. The contract doesn't change much if at all if you are employed directly apart from the induction course.

Oh, and Mody Ba you seemed to think that I couldn't be a guru. So seeing that you had an idea that one with an Aquacultural degee couldn't be a guru I just thought I'd present the path to you. A guru used to mean spiritual teacher / a yogi. Nowadays it gets used to mean someone with a lot of knowledge on a certain subject. Actually if you read below you will see that a guru can in fact be a shaman. You never know I could be a fly with special powers, after all I have lasted over seven years in Korea.

http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:8JfSRBfb3fgJ:www.khandro.net/GuruR_2.htm+Becoming+a+guru&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Anda on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
adventureman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Just out of curiosity, Mody Ba, which East. European Country has all those requirements you previously stated (I am pondering maybe teaching in that area at some point down the road)?

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: A-man.... Reply with quote

Right , A-man: by which obligation do any of us fall into a category of where we "have" to tell you about our backrounds? It's NONE of your business! Mosley BTW: give us YOUR real name , A******, ....
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been victimized by censorship. Very unfair....
adventureman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:35 am; edited 4 times in total
adventureman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Anda and the Fishies, Message to Adman... Reply with quote

Anda...I don't always agree with you,but what the hell,at least you have a sense of humor. Smile That is probably one of the main reasons you have lasted seven years here.Aquaculture sounds very interesting and ESOTERIC,but apparently there are not many jobs in OZ for aquaculturalists?

Adman(Chad),Moseley is one helluva teacher.And he is right.It is not really such a good idea to ask for people's real names on this forum.It probably was not such a wonderful idea for you to reveal your real name either,although that is your own business and what is done is done.Certain people monitor this board and it is wise to exercise at least a minimal amount of discretion.
I am not about ready to reveal my real name,although some people may have guessed it. There is no use being reckless. That would be like spitting in EPIK's eye.

As for your question about the eastern Europen country I was referring to...I can't mention that either.But let me tell you, if you are American or Canadian,you might as well forget about teaching in eastern Europe anymore, since most of them have gone EU(except Romania and Bulgaria,and a few others),and it is more or less a lost cause for anyone who is not EU.
Don't worry so much,Adman(Chad)...but try to be DISCREET.Keep your eyes open ...and do not say too much to people who may claim to be your "friends" when you get to Korea.And,really,best of luck. Smile Mody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: