Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Children and Our Korean Experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup, I am Korean. This makes a difference? Puts a new light on things? And you must be?

Indian, silly. Look at the picture! Very Happy

Wombat
jh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, one last bit. This one is to Corporal:

This is intended as sincere question, not inflammatory in any way.

It is obvious that you don't approve of Korean parenting practices. And I know you posted your child's pic here, and thereby received a lot of sympathy and good vibes from readers (me included), but the fact remains that you are IN KOREA, raising your child. Yet you hate this country's parenting behaviour.

So, I guess my question is, how will you manage to completely disregard Korean parents and try to do your upmost to avoid Korean parenting practises WHILE staying IN Korea? Are there any good points at all?

Some responders have clearly stated that they will not raise their children here, Korea having little or nothing to offer their children. But in your case, you are clearly IN COUNTRY. You hate it when Koreans coo over your child. How can you stand it?
Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH~

I think you may be jumping to conclusions a little. I don't think Corporal said she "doesn't approve of Korean parenting practices". I think she was just pointing out an incident she saw, and expressing a little disbelief - as I did in this thread as well. The point of a forum is to exchange ideas - not to senselessy accuse each other of being a racist/idiot/xenophobe etc.

As for "avoiding Korean parenting practices", that's easy. If you've ever lived overseas and seen any sort of foreigner raising a child, you will have surely seen some of them sticking within the confines of their respective culture. Indian kids being raised as vegetarians in a meat-eating country is one example; I know plenty of Indian mothers raising childern in Australia without adopting "Australian parenting practices." In any case, Corporal never said she wanted to avoid Korean practices altogether; this is your assumption.

I'll tell you, nothing discredits an argument more quickly than hysterical finger-pointing and rigid assumptions. Calm down and enjoy the forum.

Wombat

PS - Further to strange Korean parenting practices - Korean mothers do not seem overly concerned with brushing their children's baby teeth, and I find it downright neglectful. I have seen too many children with abscessed teeth, capped teeth, dissolving teeth, gum disease and enormous caries - all before their sixth birthdays. That's one practice that could do with phasing out.

Last edited by Wombat on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
. You hate it when Koreans coo over your child. How can you stand it?

I should really let this go, but no...I actually love it when ANYONE coos over my child...don't all parents enjoy seeing their baby praised? hell having a baby is hard work, I deserve to be praised for my efforts. I love cooing--what I DON'T love is unwashed hands, I don't care if they belong to a Korean or a Western or a Bushman, touching my child without my consent.

Clear now?

If you see a cute baby somewhere, do its mother a favour and ASSUME she would rather you not touch it unless you've ASmile just washed your hands and B) asked first!

That was my public service message for the day, folks. Have a good one.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH, brother, you got me. I didn't do the same math you did. I clicked on a link in the article and went to the unicef site and looked at the chart.

http://www.unicef.org.uk/news/Presscentre/injuryfig1.pdf

Then, applying my meagre math skills, I subtracted 5.2 from 25.6 and got 20.4.

The total number of children who die by accident in South Korea is around 2,516 (you based your numbers on entire population of Korea rather than the population of people in the studied age bracket). The total number of American kids who die by accident is about 8,503. The United States has 5.7 times as many people as Korea but only 3.3 times as many children who die by accident. Sure, you could say that in sheer numbers the United States has more accidental children deaths than Korea, but, stretching the analogy for illustrative purposes, that's like saying China has more child deaths than Fiji.
makushi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH, I thought Koreans were supposed to be good at math. What's up with that my brotha?
jh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that's like saying China has more child deaths than Fiji.

Right! And by the same token that's like saying Fiji is worse than China because their rate is higher.

Quote:
The point of a forum is to exchange ideas - not to senselessy accuse each other of being a racist/idiot/xenophobe etc.

I agree wholeheartedly. I hope we can do this.

Quote:
I'll tell you, nothing discredits an argument more quickly than hysterical finger-pointing and rigid assumptions. Calm down and enjoy the forum.

Again, here! here! I am calm. This is the land of the morning calm. I was accused of being "Korean." That was you, right? Yes, it was stated in the form of an accusation. I am quite enjoying myself. I hope you are, too!

Quote:
PS - A bit of a cheap shot, perhaps, but I can't resist: Korean mothers do not seem overly concerned with brushing their children's baby teeth, and I find it downright neglectful. I have seen too many children with abscessed teeth, capped teeth, dissolving teeth, gum disease and enormous caries - all before their sixth birthdays. That's one practice that could do with phasing out.

Since we're on the topic of cheap shots. Honestly, I have NEVER seen any of my hagwon kids, nor my friends' kids with dental hygiene problems. Most of the parents I know (and I know a lot) are fanatical about their babies' dental care. Now when I was travelling in India, mind you...(since we both couldn't resist). Very Happy
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
Quote:

Right! And by the same token that's like saying Fiji is worse than China because their rate is higher.

If Fiji's rate of accidental child death was worse than China's then it would be worse than China in terms of accidental child death, wouldn't it?
Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was accused of being "Korean." That was you, right? Yes, it was stated in the form of an accusation.

No accusations; that must be your own complex sneaking in. All I said is that it would explain the defense of Korea.

Quote:
Since we're on the topic of cheap shots. Honestly, I have NEVER seen any of my hagwon kids, nor my friends' kids with dental hygiene problems. Most of the parents I know (and I know a lot) are fanatical about their babies' dental care. Now when I was travelling in India, mind you...(since we both couldn't resist). Very Happy

..the major difference being that India is one of the world's poorest countries, whilst Korea is constantly crowing about what a great economic power it is, and how sophisticated Korean ideals are, etc etc ad nauseum. Nice try. And if you've never seen a kid with black teeth here, you mustn't be terribly observant.

Wombat

PS - Where did you go in India?
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Korean parents are too soft on their children these days. Of course that is only a generalisation. As Korea has become wealthier and parents are having less children than previously they tend to give the few children they do have more attention. They also spoil them and believe their child can do no wrong. How many times have we been told my our director to be generous with monthly report cards? The parents also complain when we scold their child or we are perceived as being to severe. My Korean friends tell me that when they were younger if they complained about a teacher having hit them then their parent would reply
"the teacher should have hit you harder!" Now parents can't possibly concede that their child could do something wrong.
jh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No accusations; that must be your own complex sneaking in. All I said is that it would explain the defense of Korea.

Ha, ha. and it is unfathomable, incomprehensible that a NON-KOREAN would defend Korea. Very Happy As for my complex - thank you Dr. Freud!
You envy my *beep*, don't ya?

Quote:
Nice try. And if you've never seen a kid with black teeth here, you mustn't be terribly observant.

Very Happy Nice try. I'm told that I am keenly observant. You see a lot of Korean kids with black teeth? How many of us in Korea see a lot of Korean kids with black teeth?

What is ad nauseum is...

First directly to Goa, then other places... tried to stay away from the big cities, but some couldn't be avoided...met a lot of Brits there.

Quote:
jh wrote:
Quote:

If Fiji's rate of accidental child death was worse than China's then it would be worse than China in terms of accidental child death, wouldn't it?

Huh? Question

Quote:
JH, I thought Koreans were supposed to be good at math. What's up with that my brotha?

Me, sista! You don't get the math? ...you don't get it... um...hm.. Rolling Eyes
Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think we've found a girl for Gord!

Wombat
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH, brother, you're funny.

I don't think you try to be, I don't think you intend to be, I don't think you want to be, but brother, you're funny.
makushi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:

I don't think you try to be, I don't think you intend to be, I don't think you want to be, but brother, you're funny.

My thoughts exactly!

In fact, you've really lightened up, what otherwise would have been, a rather mundane day. Thanks JH.

BTW, I noticed some of your posts were like at 2 in the morning. You are not obsessing Evil or Very Mad over this board are you. Choshim my lil dongsaeng.
jh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the_beaver wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

In fact, you've really lightened up, what otherwise would have been, a rather mundane day. Thanks JH.

BTW, I noticed some of your posts were like at 2 in the morning. You are not obsessing over this board are you. Choshim my lil dongsaeng.

I'm funny? Uh...thanks, I think.

BTW, you guys have got to come up with better little snide remarks. It's really telling. I'm not obsessing, thanks for your concern. I keep really weird hours. Remember, I am a hagwon teacher. As for "chosim, my lil dongseng?" Laughing Um...how old may you be? Somehow I doubt you are older than me. Rolling Eyes

Wombat:
Quote:

Is that the best you can do? Is Gord supposed to be some sort of loser and that I would be a perfect match for him? Um...I am a parent?! Rolling Eyes
I am married? You don't really read these posts, do you?

After all the rhetoric about:
Quote:
The point of a forum is to exchange ideas - not to senselessy accuse each other of being a racist/idiot/xenophobe etc.

You come back with

Quote:

Tsk, tsk! Shame on you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: