Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should teachers wanting jobs judge schools by their name?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Should teachers wanting jobs judge schools by their name? Reply with quote

In this small world of ESL schools/programs get a name for themselves and that name sticks for a while. However, should we avoid some school chains/names like a dirty rag just because they have a bad name?

A poster- at another thread- has postulated and concluded that qualifying a school/rejecting it simply on the basis of a name means:

A. "He's not qualifying his reasoning. "I heard that the name is equated with evil." If a person isn't even prepared to judge a school by the merits of the schools experience and contract offering, it is highly suggestive that the person will be problematic later."

B. "Such a person is probably going to be a problem teacher for the year with things going magically wrong all the time."

C. "If a person is going to be so close minded to reject a school simply because of the name after saying "do you have any jobs?"

Should we accept/reject schools on the basis of their name/reputation? Also- can we infer anything about the character of a teacher who quickly rejects a school on the basis of its name?

Those of you who know my posts already know that I'm usually pro-teacher and react strongly to a certain spirit towards teachers that seems to resurrect itself again and again on this board under various names. So I don't appreciate the ________ like tone in the above quotes. That's just me.

I'll quickly say my views:

A. Yes- schools can be judged on the basis of their name/reputation in such a small ESL community as here.

B. No- teachers cannot be forcasted as having future problems just because they do so.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, when you hear the same school names coming up over and over again with the same problems, you are definitely better off avoiding the whole damn chain. Looking for an ESL job in Korea means sifting through enough crappy offers as it is without investigating each individual franchise of a hogwon chain whose reputation clearly precedes it.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Is anyone here honestly going to waste their time looking for a "good" Wonderland? ECC? I'm not.

Next!
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger a chain gets the more dicey franchises its gonna engender, but there are exceptions to every rule. ECC a case in point. I chose where I wanted to live & theirs was the best offer came up. I had a thoroughly decent 2-year run with them & wouldnt hesitate to recommend this one particular institute to a jobseeker. Head office was a nonfactor except in terms of choice of textbooks, & even that was a bendable mandate. Comes down to the director & the relationships you forge in the immediate workplace. Some names are just silly though. I'd feel a bit sheepish saying I worked in some Ding Dang Dung school.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: That's really funny! Reply with quote

I know what you mean about DDD. What a funny name. Whenever I thought about it I only came up with a body part that swings, frequents urinals, and has other functions not mentioned. Embarassed heee heee I can't imagine what I'd say to people back home if I told them where I worked. Rolling Eyes I can only imagine their responses:

A. Embarassed
B. Shocked
C. Surprised
D. Razz

Perhaps I'm shallow- that's one case where I'd try to avoid the name. Cool
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a Ding Ding Dang school for a year. The taxi drivers' repsonses were priceless and it went very much in that order Shocked Surprised Razz Lots of giggles and repeating the name LOUDLY. Embarassed
billbile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are entitled to judge a chain on the basis of one of its schools

If the guys who run or manage the chain aren't prepared to put in the effort to maintain a consistent standard and create a good name this way, then that says a lot about them and their attitude, and probably by extention the attitude (in potential) of people who run any school in their chain.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that the HQ does for the chain is license out the logo, collect monthly royalties for the use of the name, and MAYBE provide some materials. As long as the money keeps rolling in, they tend not to get involved with the local branch's affairs.

If you keep hearing the same sort of thing like "Wonderland contracts are crap" or "Swaton in Oksu is crap" and so forth, then it'd make sense to avoid those places.

And I think there are lot better forcasters for if the teacher will be a problem later on:
1) White
2) North American
3) First job after university
4) Talks endlessly about Korean women.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Run Forrest Run wrote:
The only thing that the HQ does for the chain is license out the logo, collect monthly royalties for the use of the name, and MAYBE provide some materials. As long as the money keeps rolling in, they tend not to get involved with the local branch's affairs.

If you keep hearing the same sort of thing like "Wonderland contracts are crap" or "Swaton in Oksu is crap" and so forth, then it'd make sense to avoid those places.

I'm sorry. I know for a fact this is not true. Some companies provide training for the teachers in the franchise schools. Some companies try to help the teachers who are in trouble in the franchise schools.

the optimum word there is "Some"
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, judge schools by their name. Why not? They judge us by nationality. I mean i know plenty Americans who couldn't teach for peanuts, but hey they're on a higher salary.....
ajuma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for two schools name "JEL." The first one was a nightmare...did a runner. The second one was almost heaven (if that's possible in hagwan life!). Judge by the name? I'm glad that I DIDN'T!
denz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
William Beckerson wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:
Run Forrest Run wrote:

I'm sorry. I know for a fact this is not true. Some companies provide training for the teachers in the franchise schools. Some companies try to help the teachers who are in trouble in the franchise schools.

the optimum word there is "Some"

Yes, but I know Swaton is one of them. Maybe the Oksu franchise branch refused the trainer provided by the HQ.

having worked for swaton oksu and done the pseudo-training, i have to up will's line. swaton head office always responded to an sos with "not our problem". don't recall them popping in for a chat and a cup of tea either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: