Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Being Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish people would rise above their nationality, and see themselves more as individuals. Nationalism is an insidious evil that results in prejudices and preconceptions. It is an identity blanket for the weak.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
I wish people would rise above their nationality, and see themselves more as individuals. Nationalism is an insidious evil that results in prejudices and preconceptions. It is an identity blanket for the weak.

Copy that.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
rapier wrote:

Copy that.

Ditto from me too.
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
I also think that an equally baneful monster is one that is incapable of being content and finding peace in a non-nomadic lifestyle. Years ago I would be impressed when someone would list the number of countries they've lived in. Now when I have those encounters and realize that the person is simply glorifying what is in fact an escapist personality I feel pity him/her.

I have to agree with this. I remember, back when I was young(er), thinking, "Oh, if I lived in California/France/anywhere but Manchester N.H., I would be so much happier!" And I thought that by moving around, as I landed jobs, I would one day find my place.
Well, I have lived in Boston, Washington D.C., Korea, California for 6 weeks, and back to Korea. You know what I have discovered? It's really sad that my 4 year old nephew has NO IDEA who I am, and that at the end of the day, I want a core group of people, maybe my own family, maybe just a nice little support network of friends, that I can count on, and at the risk of sounding new-agey, grow with.
I had to go home recently, and I saw aunts, uncles and cousins whom I haven't seen in like at least 5 years for some, and more like 15 years for the others! I feel torn about that. I mean, sure a family should be loving who you are whatever you choose to do, but I don't want to be a total stranger to them ever again.
I really would like to one day, see the rest of Asia, and I hope before I die I can set foot in a few European countries, but at the risk of sounding like a dreamy-eyed schoolgirl from the 1950's, what I really want is to be able to settle down one day, find my place, stay there and do my best with whatever I am given there.
I don't think that place will be Korea. It might not be New Hampshire.
Anyways, I'm just blabbing but what Sparkx said kind of ignited something in me. Sorry for the ramble Confused
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about rising above one's nationality, I can't help but feel that due to the whole uri nara thing, even an ugly, nerdy Korean is more accepted and fits in better here than a Korean-speaking, beautiful and/or talented foreigner. Sure, they have those foreigners on talk shows and everyone oohs and aahs appreciatively, but they still aren't considered "one of us". To show you how ridiculous this is, can you imagine a nerdy computer geek fitting in better in Western society than a competent, successful Asian, simply by virtue of being Western?
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am large*, I contain multitudes.

Seriously, just be is good advice. And I really do believe that each of us contains a multitude of personalities, and a well-rounded, well-integrated personality is one that finds a balance between them. FWIW.

*must be all the beer.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparxx: Interesting concept put forth. I'd say an equally baneful creature is one who can't function outside of his/her home area. Someone who spends their entire life in the same pond, gradually attempting to be the big fish. People who would dismiss, at an instant, the idea of going to somewhere like Korea(where's that again?).Or dismiss going anywhere unless it was for a holiday on a beach.
I guess it comes down to doing what you're afraid of;some people should travel a bit more, broaden their horizons. Others should put down their backpack and dare to experience the life of having a family, building a career of some sort, contributing to society rather than just self- indulgently experiencing it.
Jung describes this much better than me. Everybody's solution is different!
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess it comes down to doing what you're afraid of;some people should travel a bit more, broaden their horizons. Others should put down their backpack and dare to experience the life of having a family, building a career of some sort, contributing to society rather than just self- indulgently experiencing it.

It's all right there in Shane, baby!
Austin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Different... Reply with quote

Rather than rising above nationalism and seeing each other as individuals, why not journey within and view each other as ourselves, as one?

People tend to either be running from something or running to something out of fear and seldom find balance in this existence.

The orginal poster is obviously in a lot of pain and frightened by what he sees around him, clinging on to the precepts and conditions that he was raised with and unable to let go and challenge his own belief stucture.

Nobody ever said it would be easy, but they never said it was hard either.

Not to pollute the waters with matters that are not essential to this thread, but the things we were taught in the U.S. about freedom of expression, democracy, justice, etc. have never existed. They are ideals that are meant to pacify and appease the masses. One look at what truly exists may very well put those views to rest (if you were capable of letting go of your previous conditioning and patriotic indoctrination).
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie: I never saw "Shane".....
Austin: I tend to agree..you're entering the realms of Bhuddism now. As E.M Forster ays: "There are as many different opinions and religions in this world as there are people to hold them". ie, each persons view of the way things are, and should be, is different from the next persons.
helly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the years are rolling by me
They are rocking evenly
I am older than I once was
But younger than I'll be
That's not unusual
No, it isn't strange
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes we are more or less the same
SuperFly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hell is the knowledge of opportunity lost; the place where the man I am comes face to face with the man I might have been.

- unknown

Nosce Te Ipsum
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
Quote:
I would say that a monster is far more likely to emerge from someone who can ONLY live in his own culture and considers it superior.

I also think that an equally baneful monster is one that is incapable of being content and finding peace in a non-nomadic lifestyle. Years ago I would be impressed when someone would list the number of countries they've lived in. Now when I have those encounters and realize that the person is simply glorifying what is in fact an escapist personality I feel pity him/her.

Maybe they like traveling. Everyone is different. They probably pity you for not doing what they are doing. Escapist may = traveling and living in foreign country. But it could easily = going back home, sticking one's head in the sand and ignoring what life has to offer outside one's home country.
Both points of view though, are rather narrow. Can't you just accept someone for what they are, without pity, or envy?
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Canada all of my life. I held no love for it when I was there, and I hold no love for it now that I'm here.

I also hold no love for Korea either.

I'll let you know how Japan goes. Wink
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckerson, you should try Ireland- it could suit tou down to the ground. All that drinking and fighting. It was great when I was there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: