Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

de-worming products?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dharma bum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever figure out what it was? also, does anyone know anything about any side effects of these de-worming pills?
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took them for about a month (every Sunday) and didn't have any side effects.
brakattack

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to an international clinic in Seoul a couple times. After doing a test for pinworms the results came out negative so they believe that it is being caused by something else. They tried out a few different things like hydrocortisone cream, allergy medication, and incontinence cream.

None of these seemed to have much effect. The incontinence cream was perhaps somewhat effective in keeping the itching down during the day and was supposed to improve healing but last night I had some crazy itching again and I had to wake up 2 hours early because the itching was so bad that I couldn't get back to sleep.

In any case, I think I'm going to try another international clinic to see if they have a different opinion. I don't want to be reliant on creams for the rest of my life. It's a huge nuisance when travelling and let's just say its not exactly an easy secret to keep from a significant other. Ugh.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a layover at Incheon next week before my connecting flight to China. After coming down with an intestinal worm infestation the last time I was in Korea, I would like to be proactive and pick up some Zentel before I go to China.

If you're an American and come down with worms in Korea, be sure and take Zentel when you're in Korea where deworming medicine is obtainable over the counter. I went to the USA and the doctor was prescribing an insufficient dosage: one pill of Vermox. It was all I could get, so I got desperate and had to resort to drinking a cattle dewormer named Valbazen, which has the same active ingredient as Zentel, to resolve the problem.

Do most pharmacies in Incheon have Zentel, and is there a limit on the number of tablets a person can buy? And what about the availability of Zentel in China? Does anyone know if it's widely sold over the counter?
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
And what about the availability of Zentel in China? Does anyone know if it's widely sold over the counter?

I've never looked (will now after reading this thread) for it here in Shanghai. I'm going to the pharmacy today to pick up my BP pills, so I'll check then and report back.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
EZE wrote:
And what about the availability of Zentel in China? Does anyone know if it's widely sold over the counter?

I've never looked (will now after reading this thread) for it here in Shanghai. I'm going to the pharmacy today to pick up my BP pills, so I'll check then and report back.

Thanks a million, byrddogs.

If albendazole (Zentel) isn't available, I'm also interested in mebendazole (Vermox), or niclosamide (Niclocide).
Pablo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago out of the blue I had a problem with pinworms. Yes, it is very annoying to have. My doggies slept on my bed, but they always received deworming meds regularly, and I had never had the problem in my life. I took a dewormer several times, but it did not solve the issue.

However I remembered a professor back in college who mentioned pinworms in a lecture as part of the course material. I think it was either a biology or genetics class. I remembered him saying that pinworms are mostly a problem for kids, because adult bodies develop a natural immunity or defense that prevents or gets rid of them. I started thinking about my immune system.

This was years ago, and I don't remember the details, but I do remember that I realized I had recently made a change in my daily diet or daily supplements. Unfortunately, I don't remember now what the change was. However, at the time, I reversed the change I had made, and the pinworms were suddenly gone, never to return. I wish I could remember what change I reversed, but it was too long ago.

Anyway, it's something to consider. Have you recently changed your diet or any supplements that you take?

P.S. One sign that the problem is pinworms is that the itchiness will increase from evening to morning (i.e. at night). That's when the boogers come out to play on Uranus.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worms are gone now, but I don't know what type they even were. I didn't recognize them from any photos of various parasitic worms I checked on Google images. It was asymptomatic and I didn't know I had them until I did an herbal cleanse of my digestive system that I do once or twice a year. It had never happened in my life, but showed up seven months into my contract as soon as I started an herbal cleanse. I was pulling a midnight runner from Wonderland anyway, so I flew home and went to a doctor in the USA. There were no tests done or anything. He just listened to what I had to say and prescribed a single 100 mg pill of Vermox. I ended up having to order Valbazen cattle dewormer on my own.

My two guesses on how I got worms are:

1. A six year old student was sticking his hands down his pants, scratching his anal area and crying. In retrospect, maybe he had pinworms. Maybe I caught worms from him, or maybe he and I both caught them from some other student. They're highly, highly contagious. 40,000,000 Americans catch pinworms each year. When one person catches them, there's a 75% chance the whole family gets them. I imagine being a school teacher is a job that puts a person at an elevated risk of pinworms compared to other adults.

2. When my boss would take us to restaurants, the metal tongs that were used to place raw meat on the grill were then put into lettuce and other food items. I tried my very best to not consume any of the food contaminated by the tongs with raw pork residue on them. However, I wonder if the lettuce and other side items that customers don't eat at those restaurants are then recycled to the next group of customers, leaving them vulnerable to tapeworms and other parasites.
bojangles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Detox! Reply with quote

MegaMind wrote:
Instead of using a pharmaceutical drug with possibly deleterious or outright harmful side effects, or instead of killing off your suspected case of worms along with whatever positive gut flora and probiotics exist in your intestines, I suggest doing high-powered herbal detoxes.

First and foremost, I recommend Dr. Schulze's American Botanical Pharmacy because the products are not only 100% organic but in many cases substantially wild harvested. Therefore the products are potent. Plus, in many cases these products serve not only in a cleansing capacity but also a stimulating and nutritional capacity. For example, start chowing down on the Superfood Tabs and powder to make your blood surge with vitality.

For your case, since it seems dire and persistent, I would do a 5-day Bowel Detox, possibly repeatedly and the follow up with a liver detox (maybe twice or more) with a host of other remedies. Not only are you likely to cure your malady, but you most likely will boost your immune system into high gear with an overall benefit for your mind and body.

Try the Bowel Flush shot to start ridding your body of excess waste. Then try the Intestinal Formula Number Two in conjunction with Intestinal Formula 1. (For your case, I would take the Intestinal Two in massive amounts for weeks.) Intestinal Formula Two is proven to have a vacuum like effect in sucking out toxins from the intestines and suffocating worms and such vermin. (You can even view pictures of people having passed major intestinal impactions and worms. Not that such pictures are pleasant, but they show the reality of cleansing.)

Although I have never suffered from the malady which you are describing, I can testify that the detoxes always give me a boost in skin radiance, hair health, etc.

Do as much research on his website as possible and check out his free tutorials on the blog: https://herbdocblog.com/ , www.herbdoc.com

Plus, there's a host of materials on the web, but I recommend Dr. Schulze foremost because he has years of clinical practice, according to testimony he has helped scores of people not only prolong life but evade the malicious medical 'industry', and his products are herbal with years of tradition to their credit.

Ultimately modern medical science and traditional herbal practice both have their place, and you should make the decision that is best for you based on your research and trust.

Everybody wants a quick-fix pill or shot that cures everything instantly, and the pharmaceutical industry is all-to willing to oblige, even at the risk of death. Google Vioxx. Unfortunately, most posters on this forum seem completely in lockstep with the mainstream medical approach. I highly recommend you do a little research on the subject and take another look at the megamind recommendation. If the products are too expensive or exotic for you then I would recommend fasting. Simply stop eating for one, two or three days if you can swing it. Drink plenty of water of course. Your body has the power to cure itself when it doesn't have to spend all the energy on digestion and elimination., believe it or not, if you just give it the chance. Also, Garlic is a natural antibiotic. Eat it raw. Juice it and drink it. Just get it in ya. Again, check the science and do the research for yourself. Do not blindly trust people in white coats with pills and vials or any of the posters on this forum. good luck!
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brakattack wrote:
Ok so I've had this problem for about 8 months now. The constant itching is driving me nuts and 구충제 hasn't seemed to help. I think I need to see a doctor.

All jokes aside, does anyone know of any English speaking proctologists (butt doctors) in Seoul? It would be super helpful. I've never had this problem before coming to Korea and its incredibly frustrating.

It sounds like psoriasis. If that's it, you can get an ointment for it.
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right after college I lived in a small garage apartment with my dog, which had a habit of picking up worms. One day I noticed my stool was full of worms. I looked in a health food book I had, Back to Eden, which is full of herbal remedies.

It said drink onion juice, which I did. Vile stuff, but it worked.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys who bought Zentel obtain it at the first or second pharmacy you went to, or did you have to look around for it?
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I just had jock itch the past week, now you guys are scaring me.

"At night, the adult worms can sometimes be seen directly around the anal area or in pajamas. The worm (one-quarter to one-half inch long) is clearly visible to the naked eye. Finding a worm confirms the diagnosis." - http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/pinworm/fact_sheet.htm

So, which one of you want to wait until one of them crawls out and do the following:

"If adult worms are not visible, conduct a tape test in the morning. Apply a piece of transparent tape against the folds of skin around the anus to pick up any eggs or worms. Seal in a plastic bag."

Since the person would be asleep, I think the infected person would need help, no? I don't understand this. You tape yourself near the backdoor before going to bed and then they just come out?

I like how they added, "Finding a worm confirms the diagnosis." like we might have misconstrued it to indicate fishing season Laughing
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JongnoGuru wrote:
KW, it's ZENTEL from GlaxoSmithKline. It's generally thought to be good if you eat a lot of raw fish, which I do, and especially since I've cut back on/cut out red meat.

Say "jen-tel" to Koreans, and they'll set you up. This country had African levels of worm infestation (stomach worm?) well into the 1970s. Over 50% of the population in areas of Korea. It's not been a problem or even discussed in advanced countries -- outside of homes with pets and toddlers -- in living memory, so the mere thought of worms in our bodies tends to surprise and horrify us.

This thread could be helpful to the person asking about anti-parasitic medicines.

If you ask for Zentel in Korea, the pharmacists ask "jen-tel" to confirm what you're asking and will then give you a box of gastric medicine that has nothing in common with Zentel and no active ingredients against parasites. "Jen-tel" is not the same thing as Zentel. What you have to do is ask for albendazole, which is the active ingredient in Zentel. They know what albendazole is and will give you a non-Zentel equivalent. I think it costs around 4,000 won for a box with two pills.

I no longer eat snacks handed to me from the kids, and I always wash my hands after each and every class without exception. I keep my fingernails as short as possible. Pinworms are a very common problem among small children and are highly contagious. Around 40,000,000 Americans catch pinworms each year, to put it in perspective. But you never hear about it. I guess people are embarrassed to talk openly and candidly about it.

I remember one student last year at Wonderland who was reaching his hands down the back of his pants, scratching his anal area. Looking back on it, the chances that he had pinworms are very high. If you have a student doing that, you'll probably catch them too. That's how the eggs are transmitted.

If you teach older kids or adults, it's not a big concern. But if you teach kindergarten, the odds are much higher. It's the younger kids who tend to have pinworms, and adults who spend time with small children are at an elevated risk of getting worms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: