Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your favorite place in Thailand?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: What's your favorite place in Thailand? Reply with quote

I'd like to go to a less-populated, laid-back place in Thailand -- and also cheap. I don't need gazillions of foreigners around either. What do you recommend?
Thanks,
CANUCKOPHILE
Juggertha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of hte islands.. koh-phanyang was not that busy.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koh phangan, like the above poster mentions, is where I stayed for a month. Got back a couple of months ago. There are no big, high-rise, hotels. It is not as developed as nearby Koh Samui. It is beatnik and bohemian in comparison. There are more paved roads now, but rent a motorcross type bike and no problem. A lot of motorbikes rented so as to get around. There is a gym in each of the two main towns. The island isn't big, about 12 kilometers tall and ten across. The west coast has coral and snorkling while the east coast does not. But all around the island there are beaches. So the out of the way places have bungalows and restaurants and a person can just waste away in margaritaville without many foreigners around. Beach, sky, coconut trees, the restuarant which has no walls and a thatched roof, day after day like Gilligan's Island. It's not organized and possessing good service like more upscale Koh Samui, but it's getting there. Kind of a quiet life there. Almost too quiet. Ever see 'Castaway' with Tom Hanks? I'd rather be in Bankok.
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a diverse place.
Beaches, trekking, temples, traditional Thai lifestyle type place away from tourism, hill tribes, girls, there's such a massive difference between the Islamic south and the Issan area or the Burmese / Cambodian influences along the border.
What do you want and how much time do you have....?
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Ko Pha Ngan to be a crap hole, but that's just me.

My favorite spot in Thailand was Ao Rai Lay, near Krabi. It's a penninsula surrounded by limestone cliffs. No raod in, so it's effectively an island. And if you don't like it you can catch the boat to Ko Pi Pi or Ko Lanta.

If you really want to get away from it, I read about a company doing 'tours' in southern Burma. I don't think it's legal, though.
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Chiang Mai a lot. It's hardly tourist free, but it's a great base to explore the north. It's cooler that the south (yet still hot) and it's a great place to try different foods etc. (less daunting and difficult to get around that Bangkok)
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is Koh Tao, a small dive island two hours by speed boat from Koh Samui. You can take a 12 night ferry straight from Bankok which I would do next time, as the speed boat ride is screamingly loud and very bumpy, those were a very long two hours. But it's just perfect. No trashy types just divers and locals, but enough people to still have a good night life, which occurs mainly on the beach, with good house music and so on. Brilliant diving, cheap housing, and sensational food. Oh, and no cops, and there's a guy working at the local supermarket that sell the strongest weed I've ever had, more than you can smoke in a week for $4 ...
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BANGCOCK BABY!!! Laughing Laughing
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itaewonguy wrote:
BANGCOCK BABY!!!

You're nuts bro ...
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangkok rocks but it sure isn't laid back or unpopulated or whatever the dude wanted.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the historical sites in Bankok.....the palace and temples..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Paji Eh Wong, I forgot to mention that I found Koh Phangnan to be a craphole as well, but I didn't want to sound like someone who would have a bad vacation wherever they go, haha. Yes, Koh Phangnan was a total craphole, I'll get it off my chest! But don't let my opinion deter anyone from going there themselves! One man's craphole is another man's palace! The reason I myself thought it was a craphole was there was nothing there but this island, with roads connecting the beach bungalows scattered along the coasts. SO WHAT! You're stuck on an island with a bunch of foreign yahoos who think they're back in college and a bunch of Thais living a life of playtime consorting with and serving the whacked out backpackers who THINK they're in 'heaven'. OMG. Scooter accidents galore from lots of 'parden me while I kiss the sky'. There HAS to be something in Thailand better! No point in being stuck on an island like that!
Especially since it's nine hours travel from Bankok. Bankok is the place I settled on. No end of variety and things to do. Sure, it's a grimy city. But I love GRIME!
Toby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam. Still relatively untouched by tourism and tourists in their droves. Forget Thailand. It has been ruined by The Beach. 7 years ago it was a different place, Hat Rin on Kho Phan Nagn as an example. It just had a few places to stay and a few drop outs from society living on legal drugs and cheap alcohol. It is now a huge resort, fuelled by a vast number of drop out druggies and alcoholics, the kind of people you would find teaching in Korea. The rest of Thailand is following suit and tourism is killing it.

Vietnam.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: canuckophile is not a young male Reply with quote

I think camel96 might be able to giv e me some useful advice...maybe others too if I give my profile.

I'm a 55 year old female (though I don't tend to care for what most older women look for in a vacation - no package tours and stuffing myself daily with smorgasbords, and being carted around by bored guides). I do like some solitude... love natural beauty and whatever wilderness might be left. Get along fine with younger folks - but don't do drugs or anything else that's illegal (or immoral, or fattening for that matter).

Yes, I love temples and all the culture stuff generally. I plan on a bit of time in Bangkok to do this sort of thing - but need to make $1700 USD last as long as possible - (BTW, any estimates? I do live CHEAP - and if possible will stay until end of April).

I may go onto other countries - I'm intrigued by Vietnam (I'm American and lived thru our sad history) and Myanmar (fewer westerners, more genuine culture, or whatever's left by now - and maybe Laos) - I'll especially go on to these other countries if they're CHEAPER. It doesn't bore me to be by myself - and in Korea, for ex., I've always found the small towns to be way more interesting, attractive and friendly than the cities.

Thanks again - dunno if I'm older and wiser Wink , but I'm sure older
CANUCKOPHILE
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Itaewonguy wrote:
BANGCOCK BABY!!!

You're nuts bro ...

No, he's probably gay. . .

I believe it's 'Bangkok' my Freudian slipping friend. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: