Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lee Jun Ki declares Philippines to me moron-filled *beep*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too clear on the definition of satire, but I'd classify the "moron-filled" article as a prank.
Zoidberg

Location: Somewhere too hot for my delicate marine constitution

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitsaregood wrote:
But your article doesn't have a reaction (apart from the comments - which weren't there to start with) it just says that some famous guy said racist things about The Philipines, with some vague clues as to the fact that it might not be true.

If you think the clues were vague, then you must have been asleep while reading it.

rabbitsaregood wrote:
If you thought that those philipinos would be able to understand it, why did you think they would be upset?

I think the idea was that they wouldn't be able to understand it, as they didn't understand the original Lee Jun Gi story. It saw it as a joke at the expense of some dumb people, that anyone with half a brain would have seen through and found funny. The expectation of stupid comments is part of what made it a good joke.
billybrobby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitsaregood wrote:

But your article doesn't have a reaction (apart from the comments - which weren't there to start with) it just says that some famous guy said racist things about The Philipines, with some vague clues as to the fact that it might not be true.

Sorry to talk this to death but...

I think this is the crux of the disagreement. you think that the clues are vague, I think they are incredibly, overwhelmingly obvious. I mean, "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? An Effeminate Korean Man"?

To me satire is something funny that criticizes or points out people's foibles. This article demonstrates that people don't bother to check what they read in the least bit. You're right, there would be no satire without the comments, but the comments are part of the design. I think the Daily Show does a similar thing (but more cleverly) when they interview a real person and ask them ridiculous questions. The person's response and the questions together form the satire, even though the questions alone are just BS absurdity and the responses alone are genuine and not intended to be satire.

I don't think it's trolling because a troll really tries to deceive. Whereas I made no real effort to convince people of what I was saying and in fact made deliberate effort to make it sound ridiculous and unbelievable. Again, it all comes down to whether you think I really gave people a proper chance to realize it wasn't real.

Alright, now I've really talked it to death. I wish it was more clever to begin with. Smile
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybrobby wrote:
I don't think it's trolling because a troll really tries to deceive.

No, trolls post anything they think will get a reaction. A common tactic is then to claim that that reaction proves their point (cf Alyssa).
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's especially funny about this is that it continues. It's a Moron Perpetual Motion Machine. Every day, more declarations of outrage wander in. Is Google bringing them? Or was there some Filipino blog pointing them to the article?

I notice the 2nd most common reaction, after "how dare he insult our country", is "this must be fake!!" It's good that these people are finally questioning the credibility of the article, but the "fake" word shows that even these people can't figure out that the article wasn't a straight-ahead attempt to deceive. Maybe it's not a language thing, and there's no satire in Filipino culture. Anyone know?

Stunt of the year.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Filipinos are really obsessed about Korean tv and film stars. The popularity of Korean film and soaps (in particular) are huge in the Philippines.

It probably comes up in their google searches while looking for their favorite Korean celebrities.

I'm going to guess most of the response is not because they believe Lee Jun Ki said those words.. its more the fact that someone chose to write those words as satire.

The Philippines already has an image problem.. and articles like this that solidify their perceived inferiorities as a country and as a group of people.
JMO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that got out of hand.

I thought the second article was hilarious in a complete over the top way. Kind of reminded me of a drunk and beligerent friend, being unintentionally hilarious.

Been reading the blog since the start or thereabouts and really enjoy it. In Uni my mate and I tried our hand at satrirical writing in a mag called
PISS(politically incorrect shit sells). It didn't.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Seems to be gone. Something happened?
stumptown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Hmm. Seems to be gone. Something happened?

Yeah, I just checked it too. Could it be the work of the Kornetizens?
kermo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's gone because it was the #4 hit when people googled "Lee Jun Gi" and the horrible racist filth flying back and forth was just too much. The original article (re: Kotex) is still there, and the other two were just spin-offs that got reallllly out of hand.
stumptown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kermo wrote:
No, it's gone because it was the #4 hit when people googled "Lee Jun Gi" and the horrible racist filth flying back and forth was just too much. The original article (re: Kotex) is still there, and the other two were just spin-offs that got reallllly out of hand.

I read it awhile back and it was pretty funny. Who were the racist comments coming from? The last time it was mostly Phillipinos, but did some Koreans catch on to it?

Last edited by stumptown on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a search for Lee Jun Ki puts the pantyliner article at #3 now.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mith wrote:
Doing a search for Lee Jun Ki

Well there's something I haven't done lately.
jinglejangle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
mith wrote:
Doing a search for Lee Jun Ki

Well there's something I haven't done lately.

High time you did then. Get with the program.

Down to #6 now. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
min

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: To YANGPA Reply with quote

I have read about the article of Junki and his war with the Philippines, which is not true..
I know that whoever wrote that article don't know Philippines well..

Well, i have some question to the writer:

Don't you know that even f its just a joke, a country and its pople will feel disgraced?
Are you dumb to not to know that insulting Philippines name is against the constitution of the country, and using the name is against the law of their land?
have you been permitted by Philippines to insult them and use their country's name in a joke in your article?
If your really heartless Twisted Evil as what you've said, why not put your own picture as the endorser of Kotex and not Lee Junki?
Why use Philippines not your own country where you and your family resides?
Why don't you put your father's name in the article of Junki and the Philippines? Are you afraid? Will you feel shameful for your father? Question

Consider this, if your really brave why not release an article about you saying this kinds of words: Twisted Evil
"I've been in <name of country> and the country sucks and smell sh*t! And <your father's name>, you're so ugly, i hate you and i hope you die!"
Anyway, this will be jus a joke, why otjoke about it too, in your next article?? Rolling Eyes

Can you do such wicked stuff huh?? If you can't then your just brave because you can't be seen. Haha! Hope you personally reply and if you can't make your next article like that, you better do a public apology to the Philippines before the government discover this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: