Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you Like Mysteries...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: If you Like Mysteries... Reply with quote

I thought that after Granada TV's "Sherlock Holmes" that
mysteries would cease to be entertaining. I was wrong.

If you like quality mysteries you will definately like "Foyle's War"

Available from http://btjunkie.org/

neandergirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foyle's War is indeed marvelous. Then again there are quite a few good'un's out there. Like the oldish Inspector Morse series (God rest John Thaw). Not that I'm a particularly worthy arbiter or anything

edited to add Midsomer Murders is a nice light series as well.

edited a second time <in best French soldier voice> on account of is doesn't look right; but are looks even worse.

Last edited by neandergirl on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Cohiba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Morse Reply with quote

Actually I never got off on Inspector Morse. I know that many
people said it was a thinking person's show, but I always thought
they paid to much attention to his personal life. I tried Poirot, but
I didn't like that either. I'm sure the books are better. I am actually
reading all of Doyle's work now. Great. Unfortunately I know the
outcomes.

Morse had a nice car though.

neandergirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the A Touch of Frost series then? or the Last Dective, Jericho or Inspector Lynley? Prime Suspect was fab but is old. Rosemary and Thyme? Or the very delish John Hannah <sigh,drool, sigh> in MaCallum? Not to forget Taggart (also old). Then there are the period pieces like Brother Caedfael or the historical true-crime tack of Julian Fellowes Investigates.

Haven't managed to track it down yet but I hear good things about Murder in Suburbia. I'm also looking for Inspector Lewis but I'd guess if you didn't like Inspector Morse you'd not be much into that.

Personally, I like Poirot and Miss Marple as nostalgia trips - just watched Hickory-Dickory Dock with David Suchet* last night.

edited to add: I can't believe they *beep*ed a nursery rhyme!
*edited again on account of I didn't actually watch it with him. Embarassed

Last edited by neandergirl on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like mysteries and some interesting culture with it, try Tony Hillerman:

Quote:
As his writing career was taking off, Hillerman taught at the University of Mexico and went on to chair the journalism department for more than 20 years. He retired in 1985, but the books kept coming, more than 20 at last count, including 15 in his legendary mystery series featuring Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn and Officer Jim Chee. While the "rez" is only about the size of West Virginia, Hillerman's two Navajo cops have found plenty to keep them busy over the past 30 years. Laced with references to Native religion and culture, each book reveals a different aspect of life in high desert Indian Country, where Native culture and mainstream American society intersect. Throw a murder into the mix, and you've got the makings of one of the most successful mystery careers in America.

Although the tribe has named him a Special Friend of the Dineh for his accurate portrayals of Navajo life, Hillerman still worries about getting it wrong. He reads copiously and runs his manuscripts by Navajo friends to check not only for accuracy, but for believability as well. He even had a Navajo English class in Shiprock consider a subplot he was planning to see if it would work. When the students said no, he junked it.

"For me, studying the [Navajo] has been absolutely fascinating," Hillerman told Publishers Weekly, "and I think it's important to show [my readers that] aspects of ancient Indian ways are still very much alive and are highly germane."

Some of them have been made into a TV series on PBS.
neandergirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've collected most of Tony Hillerman and for the most part enjoyed them but have to say that they don't have the 'repeatability' other books do. Clearly it's an idiosyncrasy but I can read Ruth Rendell or Elizabeth George, say, over and over where I can't Tony Hillerman ('cepting maybe for Dancehall of the Dead and Finding Moon - not a mystery). Can't fault his ability to bring Four Corners and Window Rock etc all to my mind's eye tho'.

Btw - which ones have been made into movies? I saw something about a movie called Skinwalkers being made but it turned out to be unrelated to Hillerman.
neandergirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I forgot to include Cracker!
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is the complete collection of the Sherlock Holmes starring Basil Rathbone films.

I'm seeding them on demonoid.com right now. Nearly 6gb's though. But worth it.

ThePoet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the Morse series. I've enjoyed the books and the shows. I have heard about the Inspector Lewis series and I would love to see it, but I haven't found it yet.

Poirot is not so good with David Suchet, but I once saw a pilot with Peter Ustinov and it was really well done.

Poet
neandergirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a fair few made for TV Poirots with Peter - Death on the Nile, Evil Under the Sun , Appointment with Death, and 13 at Dinner for sure; possibly more.

I like David Suchet - he brings the rigidness (okay anal-ness) the character shows in the books to the fore. I like Peter Ustinov (rest his soul) he displayed the sharp observation and amiability (amiableness?) that made it convincing that people would open up to him.

There's a similar arguement over whether Joan Hickson or Geraldine McEwan were better Jane Marples - I think they were each good but highlighted different character traits. The one I didn't like was Margaret Rutherford and neither Angela Lansbury nor Helen Hayes were convincing - mileage, of course, varies.

Apparently there's an anime series based on Poirot and Miss Marple but that might be a step too far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: