Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract clause on flight--worth the risk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
white tiger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Contract clause on flight--worth the risk? Reply with quote

hey all, been a bit since i last posted...
here's my situation:
A potential contract says it will pay for a one-way ticket upfront; however, there is a clause that states "if the employee quits/gets fired before six months of the contract, the airfare will be deducted from his wages".
Now, the way i see it, that means I would be deducted $1500 from my wages, but not only that, i would then have to pay for my own ticket home, another $1500!!! plus, it would only be less than six months, so i wouldn't be able to just stay and find another job...
...what the? is this standard? should i be holding out for another position?
-p*ss poor in Manitoba, and antsy to hit the ROK. (probably hit the bottle instead!)
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one piece of advice I always give: DO NOT COME TO KOREA ON A ONE WAY TICKET, EVER, PERIOD.

First of all, the fact that they want to only give you a one way ticket could be a warning sign they may be one of the following: cheap and don't want to pay for the round trip, want to have some control over you to keep you from leaving, have had experience with teachers taking off before, or they believe you may have a reason to want to leave. Any of these are not in your favor.
Coming here to teach is a giant leap of faith, for both of you. But mostly for you. In most cases, you are basically alone in a strange country, where you don't have any support or recourse, you can't speak the language, and you probably don't have a lot of money. That roundtrip ticket is your safety net. Don't leave home without it. Don't ever give it to anyone.
Plenty, I would say most, schools offer round trip airfare up front. If this one won't, tell them "no thanks" and go to another school. If they want you bad enough, which they probably do, they'll give it to you. If they don't, no big deal.
If this is a hagwan job, I doubt there are 10 other teachers competing for this job or anything. I doubt there's even one other. I would simply say "round trip or no deal". There's no reason to accept it. They're just seeing how green you are. Show them you're not. Good luck.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does a one way ticket cost $1500? That is way too much. Why should they give you the plane ticket home if you don't finish the year? You have not earned it. You should repay the fare if you cannot finish the job. It costs a lot of money to bring teachers to Korea. Just have them buy the round trip ticket and give you the first half before you come here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to the employer, what you do is include a clause in the contract that states if the employee wishes to leave or is fired, he/she must reimburse the employer for the cost of the ticket.
My contract says if I leave before 6 months I must repay the full cost of the ticket. If I leave/am fired after 6 months I must repay half. I think this is fair to each party.
I agree. If you don't finish the conract the employer shouldn't pay for the ticket (unless it's them giving you the shaft). However, if they got a good 7 or 8 months out of you, they should pay something.
In my opinion, you are taking the greater risk. You can relax knowing you have a ticket home, if nothing else.
Also, if you are coming on a tourist visa and plan to get your work visa later, you need a round trip ticket. Most likely your own airport won't let you leave without a return ticket. Because if Korean immigration keeps you from entering, it is your airline that will pay a large fine and pay for your immediate return to your country. Legally, you can't enter most countries as a tourist with no outbound ticket.
Alls I'm sayin is I wouldn't come here without a round trip ticket. And I wouldn't let anyone "hold on to it" for me either.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Roark wrote:
. Because if Korean immigration keeps you from entering, it is your airline that will pay a large fine and pay for your immediate return to your country. .

This is incorrect. Korean Immigration have NO powers over a foreign airline. YOU will pay the fine and also the money for your return to your country. If you don't have the money, you will sit in jail until someone pays up.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way tickects are a way for schools to insure their teachers wont just run out on them.
I am all in favor of one ay tickets and the return ticket being provided upon completion of contract for first time teachers.
Thats just a result of too many teachers running or using the ticket to get over here, quite and then find another job.
Of course some employers use this to cheat but thats going to happen anyway.
I think if you intend to honor your contract then a one way ticket is no problem.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm.... I've booked a one-way ticket to come to Korea. I will have a short term teaching visa stamped in my passport (C-4) But this is only valid for 3 months (I'm a UK national) Am I to anticipate any problems?

I will also be bringing enough funds to purchase a return flight if necessary. So am not too worried about getting 'stuck' in Korea.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to leave Canada for Korea without any visa I had a return ticket with a return date of almost one year later. When I tried to check in at the airport counter a warning came up on the screen saying that I could not enter Korea with a ticket of more than 6 months duration without a visa. Air Canada told me I could not leave because if immigration in Korea did not let me enter, Air Canada would be fined $10 000 and would be responsible for flying me home. I assume this is Korean immigration policy, not Air Canada's policy. Therefore, I assumed it was true in all cases. I don't know if it is or it isn't. However, my point remains the same: I wouldn't come to Korea without a return ticket. By the way, Air Canada made me pay $145 to change my return date.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a visa though. It's just a 3 month working visa, rather than a year long one.

I also planned on telling them I was leaving via Osaka (by boat obviously!)to Japan and would therefore not require a return flight from Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: