Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CDI Guri Warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speakerz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: CDI Guri Warning Reply with quote

I know there are numerous CDI threads so I'll make this one short. I know some people love working for CDI and some people hate it. They are individual establishments and CDI Guri is on the low end of the spectrum. The owner is a liar and will do whatever it takes to make life miserable for you and save a buck (sound familiar?). To put it in perspective, the school has had 17 teachers fill five teaching positions over the last 9 and a half months. All twelve who have left, have left on bad terms with the owner. I can go into the details of why it is a horrible place to work but the statistics should speak for themselves.

Teaching for CDI is not a bad gig in general. You get paid well (in my eyes), it is easy to teach the material, and the students are genearlly motivated. When you agree to work for them, you must understand if you are hired at a branch or a franchise. Avoid the franchises unless you know about them first. Guri is simply a franchise to avoid.

Again, I'm not writing this for revenge, I just would not want any teachers to endure the difficulties that I have had to endure in dealing with these people.
braunshade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the franchises are to be avoided. They arent really CDI. Its just some guy who has purchased the name.

The CDI franchises have really brought down their reputation.
ChuckECheese

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info about CDI. Thanks for the warning.
Speakerz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same owner owns a Wonderland on the same floor of the building...that was actually my first warning sign that there would be trouble...those teachers are actually treated much more poorly. Pretty sad.
rmparent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that works at CDI Guri campus and she told me that the CDI Head Office has sent in new management there. She said that things have gotten better already as the new manager has developed a better relationship with the staff.

I interviewed at CDI before and was quite impressed with their structure. I decided to take some time off and come back to Canada. Sure, you may have to work a little harder but you definitely get compensated well for it. They seem to keep their franchises on a short leash as if one of them is having problems, they will step in to solve the problem as efficiently as possible.

I think I'm going to apply to them again the future when I come back.
alabamaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that works at CDI Guri campus and she told me that the CDI Head Office has sent in new management there. She said that things have gotten better already as the new manager has developed a better relationship with the staff.

I interviewed at CDI before and was quite impressed with their structure. I decided to take some time off and come back to Canada. Sure, you may have to work a little harder but you definitely get compensated well for it. They seem to keep their franchises on a short leash as if one of them is having problems, they will step in to solve the problem as efficiently as possible.

I think I'm going to apply to them again the future when I come back.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=69710

Discussion with CDI Human Resource Department

I'm very interested in working at CDI, but I do have some questions for you:

I looked on this website http://job.cdi.co.kr/teaching/work.asp and it said, "All instructors are required to receive up to one week of initial training at one of our corporate training centers in Korea prior to their first day of class."

1. Do instructors have to complete this one week of intitial training at one of your corporate training centeres before a labor contract is signed?

2. Korean Immigration Policies prohibited employees from working or participating in work related activities without an E2 Visa. Does your company honor and respect Korean Immigration Policies?

Response

We do require all of our instructors to complete training before a contract is signed. The candidate has to first pass our training, before they can become an instructor at CDI. We at CDI definitely follow the Korean Immigration policies, and therefore, you will received the E2 visa prior to training and instruction.

We hope this clarified any questions you may have had.

The employer must submit documents to Korean Immigration Officials before the employee obtains an E2 Visa in Japan. A signed labor contract by the employee is one of those documents. Am I making an incorrect assumption?

You are correct. The employer must submit the documents to receive the visa code for the instructor, in order for the instructor to receive the visa.

Response

On your website it said, "All instructors are required to receive up to one week of initial training at one of our corporate training centers in Korea prior to their first day of class." How much would I get paid for this orientation before obtaining my E2 Visa?

The training is not paid; it guarantees your position here at CDI. Your visa would be in the steps of being processed during training.

I hope all people who apply at CDI make a connection!

We do require all of our instructors to complete training before a contract is signed. The candidate has to first pass our training, before they can become an instructor at CDI. We at CDI definitely follow the Korean Immigration policies Rolling Eyes , and therefore, you will received the E2 visa prior to training and instruction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: