Site Search:
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am i stuck with my job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 02 Jul 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Am i stuck with my job? Reply with quote

I am new here so I hear a lot of different stories and I don't know what the truth is. I am teaching at a hagwon here. Though my school is not awful I just don't like the area and there are some other things that are not good.
I do not get paid on time and that is frustrating, I am also to be at the school from 10 am to 6pm but only paid for 25 hours even though I am doing activities with the kids. I realy don't want to teach Kindergarten for 4 hours a day anymore. My commute is around 45 min each way. I know that maybe some can tollerate this, but I prefer to find a job that makes me happy. I do not owe the school any money or anything I paid for everything my own to get here. How do I go through the process of quiting and finding another job. Or am I forced to stay throughout the whole contract?
Thanks for any help,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mody Ba

Joined: 22 May 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Unhappy at a Hakwon?Ah,Yes Reply with quote would prefer to work at a "job that makes you happy"!I think all of us want that.Advice:If you want to be happy,do not work at a hakwon.
You signed a contract and the fact that you are unhappy does not mean diddly.However,if they are not fulfilling their end of the contract,breaching it by not paying you on time or breaching it in other ways,you have a legitimate complaint.Some of your other complaints, eg commuting time to the hakwon, do not really mean anything,There is probably no perfect job in this world.This is CERTAUNLY true of most hakwons.

You could ask the owner for a letter of release,but the owner might not want to give you one They have a business to run(and make no mistake,it is a BUSINESS).
Or you could get the money they owe you(or as much as possible),not say anything to anyone and just leave(midnight runner).You could leave for awhile and then come back and work for someone else.Chances are,if you go to work for another hakwon ,you will have the same or even worse problems.Almost always,working for a hakwon(any hakwon) is a losing proposition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 22 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chilsung

I'm relatively new to S.Korea so maybe some of the others may be better able to advise you but for what it's worth.....

Take a look at your contract and see if it specifies a period of notice to be given if you leave.

For example I have a one-year contract with a hogwon but if I want to leave before that I simply have to give them one month's notice. I would also be docked the airfare that they paid for me to do my visa run to Japan (did they pay this for you?).

As far as doing a "midnight run"...I don't think it is a good idea if you want to get another teaching job since you may well be banned from doing that until the period of your present contract has expired.

I do think you're being ripped of wrt your working hours. I teach 120 hours a month and get paid for that. The only extra work I do is 3 hours of level placement interviews a month which I don't get paid for. My hogwan pays on time and neither I nor the other teachers have had any real problems with the Hogwon ( 4 out of 5 foreign teachers are planning to re-sign...the 5th has decided to go to japan for a change).

If the period of notice required by your contract isn't too long my advice would be to give notice and then look for another job and do as much research as you can before you sign with anyone else.

Good luck with it. I hope things work out for you. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mody Ba

Joined: 22 May 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: The Galloping Ghost Reply with quote

Ghost is right.IF your contract contains a clause allowing you to give notice.Many of them do not.There is no standard contract for all hakwons,obviously.
And you will not be "banned" for any length of time if you do a runner.It is not always a great thing to do,but sometimes it is the only thing to do.
Remember,once bitten twice shy.Hakwons (the great majority of them) will rip you off. So,why would working for another one be an improvement over your current situation?Good luck,anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Location: Baking Gord a Cheescake pie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info from the EFL-Law site.


(1) I want to break my contract. What can I do?
1. Your contract should stipulate how many days notice you must give before you leave, usually 30 days, though some contracts state up to 60 days is required. You may be able to negotiate a mutual settlement on a contract end date. Emergencies may arise that require you to go home, or you may have personal reasons that compel you to leave your current employer. By breaking your contract you may forfeit your contractual rights to certain benefits, namely return air fare and or severance pay. Some teachers occasionally do what is called a 'midnight run,' namely packing their bags and leaving without advising their employer, thus possibly jeopardizing their chance for a later return. Should your situation lead to this scenario being considered, we advise you to consider approaching any of the help agencies listed elsewhere herein in the first instance.

If you are leaving this job before the expiration of the contract period in favor of another job in Korea, you must get a Letter of Release from your current employer to present to a Korean Embassy outside of Korea who will grant you the new visa, (see point 6.) If you resign your job before the expiration of the term of contract, both you and your current employer must report to Immigration within 15 days, and present your passport and alien's registration certificate. You have a further 14 days before you must leave Korea.

(2) My employer has not paid me on the due date. What can I do?
2. Your employer has not paid you on the specified contractual date. The employer has breached a substantial condition of your contract. You have asked for payment but received none nor received any information that satisfies you as to when and why the payment is not forthcoming. At this stage you may wish to consider tendering the required days notice of contract termination,unless you are satisfied as to why the payment has been delayed. If you still receive no money despite your requests, you should attend at the Korean Labor Office with a copy of your contract, visa and passport. **Read the 'this page' for detailed information about the processes involved, and what you must do.**

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International