Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien Registration Application Info. Sheet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohfamous wrote:
For my gyopo brothers and sisters out there: a short story about my trip to get my ARC.

I went to the immigration office in Seoul. Their number is 02-2650-6223, but the Korean prompts didn't prove useful to me. So I just went there with information I gathered from Dave's as well as their own immigration website. I armed myself with my passport, (3) 3cmx4cm photos, and 10,000 won. I took the subway, Line 5 Purple, and got off at Omokgyo #521. I exited at Exit 7 and walked straight for 10 min. I followed any curve in the street and finally approached the tall 7-story gray building that said Immigration on it.

I entered through the front doors and decided I should go left. Pulled a number from the machine immediately, since it looked like there was a long wait ahead of me. Didn't find any relevant forms so I went to the right and found "Alien Registration Application". I filled it out and waited my turn. When I got in, the guy said I was supposed to go to the right side. Darn, I thought this was the right one. I went over there and pulled a number from the "Other Nationalities" machine, ignoring the Chinese and Japanese ones. I thought it was kind of weird that there was no "Korean" machine, but the said to come here. I waited for an hour there and finally got my number called. The lady took a look at my visa and said that since I'm a gyopo on an F-4, I needed to go to the second floor. OK, great. Thanks to the dumbass from the left, it's now 5:30pm, but I still got a little time left.

So I went upstairs and pulled yet another number from a machine. When I got called and gave the guy my stuff, he frowned and said that I needed my hojuk deung bon (i.e. family registry) from both my mom and my dad's side. Now this got to me. I remember jumping through several hoops at the Korean Embassy back in the US, going back multiple times with more and more documents that they requested, including the hojuk. I had given them all the documents for the visa and didn't bring any copies, and, I have never seen or heard of anyone needing this to get their alien registration card.

I needed to argue. However, unlike the downstairs clerk, this guy could only speak about 10 words in english. So I did my best impression of korean negotiation as I could, which included complaining and whining and saying the same thing over and over again. Since my korean is just slightly below a preschool level, I basically said, why do I need a hojuk again, I already gave the hojuk to get my visa, why do I need it again. He read the korean instructions written on my visa, explaining that they require the hojuk. I ignored that and said, I already provided my hojuk when I applied for the visa, why do I need it again. He frowned and flipped through my passport and then said again, that I needed my hojuk. I said, why do I need it, the visa proves I provided it already, I don't need it. He frowns again and flips through my passport again as if this stalling tactic was going to work on me. Unfortunately for him, I was not going to take no for an answer. So I just sat there staring at him, visibly showing my annoyance as well as my countenance.

After doing this little a dance a couple more times, he finally went over to the computer, looked at something, then looked at some binder. He came back and gave me a residence application to fill out and told me to make copies of my passport and visa downstairs in the basement and get a revenue stamp. I asked him if he would process my application if I did that and he said yes. So, with a little disbelief, I went downstairs, had the copies made and filled out the form. I bought the revenue stamp for 10,000 won at the little office back on the first floor.

I went back upstairs, pulled yet another number and waited. When my turn came, I gave him all the stuff. I was worried that he was going to tell me that my passport photos were too small. The website was wrong about the size - the forms clearly ask for 35mmx45mm photos. Amazingly, he took all of it and starting stamping everything. Then he gave me a pick-up slip and told me that it would be ready in 2 weeks. I confirmed this multiple times before leaving. Yay, I'm going to get my ARC!

So...everything I needed to apply for my ARC:
- passport
- copy of passport front page
- copy of visa in passport
- 2 passport photos 35mmx45mm (website says 3 and 30mmx40mm)
- 10,000 won for revenue stamp
- pissed-off attitude

Good luck to you on getting your ARC. Obviously, it would be much easier if you went with a korean friend or family member. I didn't have that luxury. Anyways, we'll see if I actually get mine...
hahaha!!! I thought I needed 2 photos for my card and the crazy bitch only took 1. We will see what happens with mine too. I will be pissed if I have to go back there. My boss said there should be no problems. Oh yeah, I have heard that one before!!!
gus7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been out in Korea for a few weeks and need to apply for my alien registration card. This thread is pretty old so I just want to make sure I have everything I need the first time I go.
So far I gather I need:
1. passport
2. 3 photos (where can I go to get these, I brought 1 from home if thats all I need great)
3. 60,000 won for multiple entry
4. schools business ID# (do I need a form or just the number)
5. what else?

Also I tried to find the immigration office hours but can't seem to find that anywhere. Are they open on Saturdays? Thanks for the help.
nangulo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: New Info Needed Reply with quote

Nowadays you also need a Health Check done and a letter from your school. (I think it's a letter saying that your are employed there, but I'm not sure.)
nangulo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: New Info Needed Reply with quote

Nowadays you also need a Health Check done and a letter from your school. (I think it's a letter saying that your are employed there, but I'm not sure.)
nangulo

I don't know why it just posted the same message four times, sorry about that!

Here is the webiste which lists all the things you need for your application

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/

Click On English, then Click on Information at the top of the page, then Immigration guide, then on the left hand side click on Foreigner Sojurn, then foreigner registration, and finally near the top click on the Required documents for Foreigner Registration.

Then go down to where it says Foreign Language Instructor (E-2)

Bring 60,000 won to get the multiple re-entry Visa, in case you want to do any travelling outside of Korea during your vacation times. You also do still need a photo, even though it's not listed on this website.

I tried to just attach the link directly to that page, but it doesn't work, so you have to do it the long way!

Last edited by nangulo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
nangulo

nangulo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: New Info Needed Reply with quote

madkisso

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I had a question about the process for an F-4 visa holder.

I am over to Korea without a job; I am going to apply while here. Can I still apply for the ARC without being employed? I know there was mention of needing an employment ID or something from your school, but since I am not working with a school yet, I was wondering if getting an ARC would be more difficult. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michelle
kirya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the forms for delivery and paying for delivery self explanatory? Do I need to buy a revenue stamp for delivery as well?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirya wrote:
Are the forms for delivery and paying for delivery self explanatory? Do I need to buy a revenue stamp for delivery as well?

Delivery of the ARC?

The form is self explanatory providing you know your address (best to send it to the school).

It comes by courier.

COD and signature required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: