Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Explain this one for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bingo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Explain this one for me. Reply with quote

Korean traffic 'culture' is abominable. But the one that really makes me go 'Huh' is this. When there is a narrow road and I'm half way down it, another car appears at the end. Instead of waiting for me to finish the journey, they proceed to carry on down thie lane directly towards me, leaving us both stuck at the middle. Now, either one of us must back up (forcing other cars behind us to back up onto busy main roads), or we spend the next fifteen minutes 'inching' past each other. What on earth is that about? It happened to me again yesterday in the taxi. And sometimes my students' parents will give me a lift to school. As they approach the narrow lane, despite the fact that another vehicle is coming towards them, they'll continue on down to the middle and stop, looking baffled. Then they start going 'sheesh' and complaining about the oncoming guy demanding the right to proceed. Can someone please explain to me what is going through their minds when they engage in this sort of behaviour? It's beyond me to figure it out.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search using the terms "Koreans who live in bubbles".
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it happens again and you're at the beginning of a lane try saying something like 'Hey, look there's another car coming' and 'Don't you think we should back up and wait for it to pass?'. Just to test their reaction.
poet13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When it happens again and you're at the beginning of a lane try saying something like 'Hey, look there's another car coming' and 'Don't you think we should back up and wait for it to pass?'. Just to test their reaction."

My co-workers are looking at me funny. A snort-laugh escaped from me when I read that...
oldfatfarang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is all about 'me', and 'my family', and 'my circle'.
People in other cars just don't exist.
As another poster aptly put, Korea is a tragedy of the commons writ large.
4 months left

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word you are looking for this and a lot of other similar stupidity is OBLIVIOUS. It baffles me everyday, I try to be oblivious to their oblivion but it is difficult.
Qinella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I wonder what on earth Koreans who buy SUVs are thinking. It must be a real nightmare trying to drive on tiny roads and park in tiny spaces with those things.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about when you are standing stationary in one place, perhaps in the store or on the side of the sidewalk, and a Korean smashes right into you and reacts like you just jumped from the heavens to purposely distrupt his/her godly mission to be first in line for something? I always ask them "Do you walk into trees? Into parked cars? I've been here for hours."

Or when you're trying to get off the subway? Out of an elevator? Any type of passage that can reasonably allow one being to pass? Is this new? There are many things I like about Korea and Koreans, but ultra-competitiveness and obliviousness to others are not two of them.
wylies99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is why I wonder what on earth Koreans who buy SUVs are thinking. It must be a real nightmare trying to drive on tiny roads and park in tiny spaces with those things.

Yes- and the gas mileage? You can tell who got hoodwinked by some salesperson- they own an SUV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: