Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts for beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david brent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Martial Arts for beginners Reply with quote

What are the best martial arts for beginners to take up and what are some good dojo's to go to. I'm looking for one's where I don't have to train with kids and where i hopefully won't be the only foreigner.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in Rome...

Well, that was my philosophy for taking up Taekwondo, that and my roommate was already going to a gym with lots of foreigners (but not in Seoul!)

I found Taekwondo to be very physical, great cardio work out, lots of kicking but very little real self-defence. So I guess it depends on your goals. I'm sure different TKD schools have different focuses too, so while my experience is not with self defence, others might be.

Taekwondo is probably the most common martial art around ... lots of jae-yu-kwons (dojos) around. Where exactly in Seoul are you? Your subway stop at the very least give people an idea of where you're living and if they know a place nearby. Find one in your neighbourhood and pop your head in and see if there are any other foreigners around.

Great news is that you can actually get a black belt within one year Shocked of training!

Hapkido is another martial art that foreigners take up here.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep just like everything else in korea YOU BUY IT!!
that goes for Degrees too!! hahahahah
Dude Love

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in self-defense and not so much art, try wing chun. There's a guy who teaches in English near Ehwa Women's U. Write to him at [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: