Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Selling out Reply with quote

That post about the commercial reminded me of something. Those guys/girls you'll see on EBS from time to time on the various English Cafe shows they have...sometimes they have to sing songs and other times pretend that they're having a lot of fun when you just know they aren't, but OTOH it's not selling out either because we've all done worse inside our own hagwons for less money. Japan's pretty much the same and I remember a hot summer day a few years ago where one 3-year old girl who couldn't speak Japanese much less English went off to the bathroom and came back with her pants soaked and I thought then that I'd much rather be cavorting around on tv like a fool than being a glorified babysitter...
So the question then is: what do you think of those people on tv and would you be one if you had the chance?
And then another question that just came to mind: were you offered a job to be the one foreign face in a Korean boy/girl band, would you do it? It's possibly humiliating but the salary is high and most of the people in the country will consider you to be a musician. Confused
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Hollywood stars prostitute their images in Japan because 99.9% of the West will never see it why shouldn't I do the same? Hell, yeah! Either it can be a funny memory or else no one will ever know about it! Either way the cash would linger on... Smile
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, but do you think you could really do it? Imagine this: as a singer in this band they require you to dye your hair bright blond, spike it, and wear early 90s-style baggy pants, and then you have to dance along with the others and every once in a while make your way to the mike and sing in a sincere voice "With tha love ahm bringin you baby..." or other such nonsense...I think honestly it might be too humiliating for me, though I've never been presented with an offer of cash like the ones they get so I couldn't really say.
Embarassed
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not in what you do (within reason of course) it all depends on how much you get for doing it...for the right amount of cash? Hell yeah, I'll pretend to be Mr. Vanilla "H.O.T." Ice Twisted Evil
mithridates

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...we might as well just be pm'img each other for the amount of discussion we're getting here. Mad
I'll just assume then that everybody else here would also do it if the price were right.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass me the Sexy-Mild shampoo, will you?
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm...we might as well just be pm'img each other for the amount of discussion we're getting here. icon_mad.gif
I'll just assume then that everybody else here would also do it if the price were right.

They're too busy whoring themselves for the corporation. Wink Speaking of which, its time for my 15 seconds of shameful embarrassment for the almighty buck. Whenever you're ready, Mr. DeMille!
Mankind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm giving it a whirl in a couple days. I'll see what it's like. My work is straight to video (i feel so Roddy Piper). As far as I know, i don't have to act too stupid, but we'll see.
They do pay me, from the time I show up till the time I walk out the door and go home. Free lunch too (better not be cup ramen). They say it takes 8-10 hours of time. One day around 400,000 looks good, but I have to see how much of my 'seoul' I have to sell. They do it 3 times or so a month. I just hope I can get lots of reading done. They say I only 'work' about 3 hours of that time. Will let you know.

HAND Smile
chomsky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys, these shows aren't camp, they're just inane. i was offered a lot of $ to do this in seoul - turned it down with no hesitation and no regrets whatsoever. they couldn't pay me enough to act like a total moron on tv. this is the impression that koreans will often form of foreigners...gawd help us all - cringe.
mithridates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly were they asking you to do? I'm curious. I know what you mean though about forming impressions. I myself don't think I would do it because I don't like using English in Korea outside of work and were I to become famous through a show like that there would likely be no end to the pestering I'd receive on the street.
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To stay is to sell out. I have sold out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: