Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much is that bicycle...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilgamesh

Location: Always just more than an arms reach from where I want to be... well, Seoul actually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: How much is that bicycle... Reply with quote

Hi Folks...

Due to weight restrictions I am considering ditching the mountain bike off the "things to bring" list... How much is it to purchase a decent mountain bike over there??

Cheers
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about decent, but the best around-towner they had in the shop was 150,000 won...about $120. It'd probably rock more if I got it tuned up.
The Den

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just brought my a mountain bike over. I did not have a problem on the flight from Seattle to Seoul. However I did have to pay to get the damn thing from Edmonton to Seattle. If you have a decent bike I would consider bringing it. Although I am sure there are decent bikes here (not department store bikes) with high end componenets they likely cost a fair bit. Most of the bikes I have seen people riding were crap. Just get a box from a store, take your bike apart and reinforce the bike with straps and it should be fine.
The Den

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in a bike shop this evening in Pusan and they had a good selection of quality bikes at reasonable prices. 300 000 to 500 000 won.
Bound in Bundang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to consider: How much riding are you going to do, and what kind of riding will you do? Then factor in your budget: How much do you want to spend?

If you want to go hard-core off roading, you may want to bring your baby with you. If you just want a bike for in-town commuting and light trail riding, you might as well pick one up over here. You can get cheap bikes for less than $200, or something quite decent for $400 - $500, and of course you can spend upwards of 9 million won for a top-of-the-line Cannondale / Gary Fisher / Kona what-have-you, if you really want.

(By the way, I just picked up a Trek for 400,000 Won.)
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, you can get imported Bikes here up to the three million won mark. Thief rate on things like bikes here is high. Maybe bring chain gears and a decent seat with you and go with a local bike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: